VPNs are a great way to ensure that you are secure while browsing the internet. They are also useful for accessing your home library on Amazon Prime Video. However, users connected to a VPN may encounter the following HTTP proxy errors on Amazon Prime Video if they try to access the service while connected to a VPN server or a Smart DNS proxy server:
- “Your device’s internet connection is using an HTTP proxy which prevents playing your video. Please close or disable any proxy programs and try again.”
- “Your device is connected to the internet using a VPN or proxy service. Please disable it and try again. For more help, go to primevideo.com/vpn.’’
If you are presented with one of these messages, it means that your VPN or Smart DNS proxy server has been detected. VPNs provide increased security and mask your presence while online by hiding your IP address and they can also be used to help you access geographically restricted content while abroad. For example, if you are from the US, you will be able to access the US Amazon Prime Video library while in the US, but you will not be able to if you travel outside of the country. You can bypass this by connecting to a US VPN server while abroad. However, the issue with this is that Amazon blacklists the IP addresses of many VPN servers. This means that only the best VPNs can bypass such restrictions.
I have thoroughly reviewed the best VPNs that will allow you to stream Amazon Prime Video without any issues below. However, if you are short on time, here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error:
- NordVPN: This is my top choice for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. It offers fast speeds which are necessary for streaming Amazon Prime Video, 24/7 support, and several security measures to keep you safe while online. In addition, it also comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: This is a great affordable VPN option. Its speeds are fast enough to stream services like Amazon Prime Video and it can also unblock the service. There is no limit to the number of active VPN connections either.
- ExpressVPN: This is a fast VPN that has a network of servers that is optimized for speed. This makes ExpressVPN one of the best options available for streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video.
- CyberGhost: Works well with Amazon Prime Video and offers fast speeds for smooth streaming. Protection features such as encryption and a no-logs policy help to keep you safe while using this VPN.
- PrivateVPN: A high-speed provider that makes streaming Amazon Prime Video a breeze. It allows up to 10 simultaneous device connections and ensures that your device is protected thanks to its strong encryption.
- Atlas VPN: Can access many services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Unlimited simultaneous connections and MultiHop servers available.
How to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
Fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error is just a matter of using the right tool. By choosing a good VPN, you can fix the problem with ease. Here’s how:
- Choose one of the VPN services on this list (all of them will work with Amazon Prime Video). I recommend using NordVPN.
- Download the appropriate software for your operating system. The providers on this list offer apps for most desktop and mobile operating systems.
- Open the VPN app and then connect to a server in the region you would like to be routed through. For example, you might want to connect to a US VPN server.
- Head to the Amazon Prime Video website and select the content you want to watch. You should now be able to watch it without encountering an HTTP proxy error.
- If you still get the error, try clearing your browser’s cookies. If that still doesn’t work, you can try another VPN server in the same region or you can even contact your VPN’s customer support team if you still run into problems.
Best VPNs for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
There are many VPNs available, which can make it tough to decide on a provider that best suits your needs. Here are some of the things I looked at to help narrow down my search:
- Fast connection speeds and servers that work with Amazon Prime Video
- Servers across the globe
- Strong security features such as having a kill switch and AES encryption
- Privacy protection by storing no logs
- Easy-to-use, functional apps for desktop and mobile
- The allowance of multiple simultaneous connections
If you would like to find out more about the criteria I used, then please read my methodology testing process page.
Here’s my list of the best VPNs for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error:
NordVPN has over 5,500 servers worldwide in more than 60 countries. With this level of server coverage, it’s relatively easy to find a server that works to unblock geographically restricted content. In fact, NordVPN works with popular streaming services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Hulu. Its server speeds are fast and there are no bandwidth restrictions either. This means that it is a perfect option for streaming and for general internet use overall.
Strong security measures are in place too, such as 256-bit AES encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. No logs are stored either which means that your data is kept private.
Apps for NordVPN can be downloaded for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Routers and Linux devices can also be manually configured to work with this service. Six simultaneous connections can be maintained too. If you need assistance, you can contact the customer support team 24/7 via the provided live chat.
- Fast connection speeds; great for streaming
- Strong security measures
- No logs are stored
- Apps are available for many devices
- Customer support is available 24/7
- The desktop app can be sluggish sometimes
BEST VPN FOR FIXING AMAZON PRIME VIDEO PROXY ERROR:NordVPN is my top choice for fixing the Amazon Prime Video HTTP proxy error. It can successfully access Amazon Prime Video and does so while allowing users to enjoy fast speeds and strong security. On top of that, users have a 30-day money-back guarantee that allows them to try the service risk-free.
Surfshark is a great option for those looking for a budget VPN. In addition to being an affordable option, it is more than capable performance wise. It can successfully access Amazon Prime Video without the HTTP proxy error and offers fast speeds. It also gives users access to over 3,200 servers in approximately 63 countries. Successfully gives you access to services like Netflix and Hulu too.
It also provides strong security features. With Surfshark, you will get 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and traffic scrambling. No personally identifiable information is stored by this company either. Cryptocurrency payments are accepted as well, which means that users’ information is better protected since their name isn’t associated with a cryptocurrency transaction. Customer service agents are available 24/7 via a live chat to ensure that customers get the help they need.
Apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It’s also possible to manually install this VPN on some routers. Surfshark offers an unlimited number of connections simultaneously, which is a great feature for those with a lot of devices.
- Can unblock many different services
- Fast connection speeds are offered
- Strong security measures are in place
- No logs kept
- Some servers are slower than others
- Customer service could be better
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark’s value is hard to beat. It’s affordable, can provide access to Amazon Prime Video, and it offers fast streaming speeds. It also offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections and support is provided 24/7. Subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is a great option for streaming in general and it can fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. It has servers in over 94 countries (3,000 of them) and offers strong security measures to ensure that users are protected while using the service.
Security features include AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. Perfect forward secrecy is also included in this feature set. ExpressVPN also has a .onion site which can be accessed over the anonymous TOR network. Cryptocurrency payments are also accepted, which results in increased anonymity since users’ names aren’t associated with their cryptocurrency wallet, unlike with a credit card transaction.
ExpressVPN has apps for a number of different operating systems too. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. It can also be installed on supported routers.
- Fast connection speeds
- Able to unblock many services
- .onion site and cryptocurrency for increased anonymity
- Strong security measures in place
- More expensive than other options
- Not easily customizable
SOLID STREAMING OPTION:ExpressVPN is a solid option for streaming. This, combined with its ability to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error, makes it worthy of being on my list. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has the largest number of servers out of all of the other providers I have reviewed here. On top of that, it can successfully fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. It has over 8,900 servers in approximately 91 countries, which means that you will have little trouble accessing geographically restricted content around the world. The servers are also fast enough to allow for lag-free HD streaming.
Security is also clearly a priority for CyberGhost. It offers security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch. CyberGhost also has a strict no-logs policy, ensuring that users’ data is kept private.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Routers can be manually set up.
- Live chat available 24/7
- Large server network
- Strong security features
- Doesn’t work in the UAE, China, or Turkey
- Little control over advanced features
GREAT BEGINNER OPTION:CyberGhost has a large, fast server network that can successfully unblock streaming services around the world such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. It also comes with a great 45-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN provider, offering just over 200 servers. Despite its small size, its server network is reliable and fast. The server network is also spread across more than 60 countries, meaning you can access streaming services from all over the world. It can also successfully unblock many different streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer.
It also has strong security measures in place including 256-bit AES encryption, protection from IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks. This ensures that users have a secure online experience. No personally-identifiable information is collected either and cryptocurrency payments are accepted.
Apps are available for Android and iOS mobile devices as well as for Windows and MacOS. Linux systems and routers can be manually set up too. Unfortunately, support agents can only be reached during regular business hours. With that being said, the quality of support that is offered is of high quality.
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures such as leak protection
- Easy-to-use apps
- Able to unblock many services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Customer support only available during regular business hours
- Small server network
STRONG PRIVACY AND SECURITY MEASURES IN PLACE:Even though PrivateVPN has a small server network, its servers are spread across over 60 countries and are reliable and fast. They can also successfully fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. PrivateVPN subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN doesn’t have a large server network. This provider has just under a thousand servers spread across over 40 locations. However, it still offers speeds that are fast enough for streaming. It can also unblock services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Allows users to access Amazon Prime Video without the annoying HTTP proxy error.
Apps are available for MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. Users are also able to connect an unlimited number of devices to this service simultaneously.
- Can unblock many services
- Strong security in place
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No identifying logs kept
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be better
FAST SPEEDS AND STRONG SECURITY:Atlas VPN is a relatively new player in the VPN market. Despite that, it is still able to access Amazon Prime Video without displaying an HTTP proxy error. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Amazon Prime Video VPN Error FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error?
This is unlikely to work. Amazon is constantly on the lookout for VPN activity and they can quickly spot free VPN users. This is because free VPNs tend to have many users on a limited number of servers, making them an easy target for being blocked. Paid VPNs are much more reliable. They usually have many more servers and employ various methods to ensure that their users aren’t detected by Amazon.
Even if you do find a free VPN that works with Amazon Prime Video successfully, it will probably perform poorly. Since free VPNs tend to have overloaded servers, streaming speeds tend to be slow and it can be difficult to stream video because of this.
You should also consider the security risks of using a free VPN. Free VPNs tend not to encrypt the traffic that is routed through their servers and security features such as leak protection and a kill switch are usually missing. Some VPNs have even been known to sell your data to third parties. If money is a concern, then check out our cheap VPN recommendations.
What shows can I watch on Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video is massively popular and has a staple of excellent, original content. With a good VPN, you can enjoy all that Amazon Prime Video has to offer. Shows on Amazon Prime Video include the following:
- The Boys
- The Grand Tour
- The Handmaiden
- 20th Century Women
- A Very British Scandal
Why am I being directed to primevideo.com/vpn?
This may be occurring because Amazon has detected that you are using a VPN. You might need to connect to a different server or you could try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.
Is using a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video legal?
Yes, unless you live in a country that has outlawed VPNs, it’s legal to use a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video.
Would Amazon cancel my membership for using a VPN?
Using a VPN may be in violation of Prime Video’s terms of service. This could possibly lead to the termination of your account. However, many users have been using VPNs with the service and haven’t encountered any issues.
Why does Amazon block VPNs?
Amazon doesn’t own the exclusive global rights for all of its content. This means that some content has to be restricted to certain geographical regions because of the licensing agreement in place for that content.
What is the Amazon Prime Video error code 1044?
If you see the error code 1044, it probably means that Amazon has detected that you are using a VPN. Try clearing your browser’s cookies or changing your VPN server to fix this issue.
- How to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
- Best VPNs for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. Atlas VPN
- Amazon Prime Video VPN Error FAQs
- Can I use a free VPN to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error?
- What shows can I watch on Amazon Prime Video?
- Why am I being directed to primevideo.com/vpn?
- Is using a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video legal?
- Would Amazon cancel my membership for using a VPN?
- Why does Amazon block VPNs?
- What is the Amazon Prime Video error code 1044?