Internet privacy concerns are more prevalent than ever these days. You cannot be sure that your information isn’t being monitored by internet service providers, governments, and/or hackers, so it is critical that you ensure your information is kept private.
One of the best ways to do this is with a VPN. VPNs protect your privacy and security by routing your connection through a secure third-party server. Your connection is encrypted while being rerouted. By doing this, your online activity is hidden. For example, your ISP won’t be able to see what you’re doing online while connected to a VPN and they will only be able to see that you’re connected to a VPN.
While parties such as governments and internet service providers won’t be able to track your information, what about the VPNs themselves? VPNs could potentially track your information as well. However, this is unacceptable and any VPN worth its weight in salt shouldn’t store any information that can identify a user’s online activity.
In this article, I have reviewed the best no-logs VPNs in detail. However, if you don’t have time to read the entire article, here’s a quick summary.
Best no-logs VPNs:
- NordVPN: My number one choice for a no-logs VPN. With fast speeds, strong security measures in place, and thousands of servers available, this is a clear top contender. In addition, subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, ensuring that users can try the service risk-free.
- Surfshark: This is a great budget option that still offers powerful features. It has over 3,200 servers in 95+ countries, fast speeds, and can easily unblock services such as Netflix.
- ExpressVPN: A great option for streaming. It works with services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and provides fast connection speeds and strong security features.
- CyberGhost: Has a large server network of more than 9,700 servers and can effectively unblock services such as HBO Now and Netflix. It also has solid security measures in place.
- PrivateVPN: This is a newer service that holds its own with servers in around 63 countries. It is fast and reliable and can unblock many different services.
- IPVanish: Popular among Kodi users and torrenters thanks to its fast connection speeds. Allows an unlimited amount of devices to be connected simultaneously.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): A lightweight and secure option that reliably facilitates lag-free streaming and stores no logs.
- Atlas VPN: Fast VPN provider that offers lag-free streams of services such as Amazon Prime Video and HBO Max.
In selecting the VPN providers I have listed above, I narrowed down the field by considering the following criteria in great detail:
- No traffic logs stored
- No source IP logs
- Accepts Bitcoin as payment (for further anonymity)
- Leak protection
- Shared IP addresses
For more information about the criteria I used, check out the testing methodology section found later in this article.
What exactly is a no-logs VPN?
Logless VPNs may store some user information, but this information isn’t personally identifiable. However, some VPNs store usage logs which track the websites you visit, emails, search queries, and other information. You should avoid this type of VPN.
Furthermore, metadata logs store information related to the bandwidth you use and timestamps of when you use the service. While this type of log is usually harmless, some metadata logs contain IP address information that could lead to your data being tracked. You should also avoid VPNs that store this type of metadata.
Best no-logs VPNs
So, without further ado, here are the best no-logs VPNs:
NordVPN’s global network of servers spans about 60 countries and consists of over 5,000 servers. This service has fast connection speeds and can unblock many different services. This includes streaming services and other services such as online banking services.
In addition, NordVPN has strong security features in place and has a strict no-logs policy. These include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. NordVPN also accepts cryptocurrency payments which offer more anonymity than traditional credit card payments. This is because names aren’t associated with cryptocurrency payments like with conventional credit card payments.
NordVPN apps are available on Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, and Linux. Some routers can have the service installed on them as well. In addition, users have the option of connecting six of their devices simultaneously and the customer support team is available 24/7 to help users with issues they may have.
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures in place
- No logs are stored
- Apps are available for many different platforms
- The customer service team is available 24/7
- The desktop app can be slow at times
BEST NO LOGS VPN:NordVPN is one of the best options available. It has a large server network that is capable of fast streaming speeds and it can unblock many different services. It also has strong security measures in place and comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is an affordable option that doesn’t skimp on quality. It has a network that consists of over 3,200 servers in about 100 countries. It offers fast connection speeds and strong security features too. It is also capable of unblocking a wide variety of services.
In addition, Surfshark’s security measures are solid and it has a zero-logs policy in place. This provider offers 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks and there is a kill switch available. There is also an option for traffic scrambling.
Surfshark’s apps are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Some routers can also have this service manually installed on them. The customer service team is available 24/7 and you can connect an unlimited amount of devices at once
- Fast connection speeds
- Can unblock many different services
- Strong security measures are in place
- An unlimited number of connections are supported
- Cryptocurrency payments are supported
- Some servers are a little slow at times
BEST NO-LOGS BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is very competitively priced. On top of this, it can unblock many different services without hassle. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is an excellent option for streaming and offers a sound no-logs policy. It has over 3,000 fast servers in around 94 countries. It is also a good option for users who wish to unblock geographically restricted services. It is easy to use too, making it a great beginner option.
ExpressVPN has strong security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks.
In addition to the regular ExpressVPN site, this provider also has a .onion site in place which can only be accessed via the anonymous TOR network. The TOR network protects identities by routing connections to websites through a series of encrypted nodes.
- Fast connection speeds
- Can unblock top-tier streaming services
- Strong privacy measures such as .onion site and acceptance of cryptocurrency
- Excellent security measures in place such as encryption
- More expensive than some other options
GREAT NO LOGS OPTION FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is one of the best options for streaming. It has fast servers and it also has strong security and privacy measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption.
CyberGhost has the largest number of servers out of all of the other providers on this list and it is capable of accessing services such as ITV, Amazon Prime, and Netflix effortlessly. The connection speeds are fast too, allowing for the streaming of these services without lag or buffering. CyberGhost also has over 9,700 VPN servers located in 91+ countries.
CyberGhost has strong security which includes protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. There is also 256-bit AES encryption in place. CyberGhost stores no logs either. A kill switch is included which stops your IP address from being leaked in the event of your VPN connection dropping out. CyberGhost accepts cryptocurrency payments which are more anonymous than traditional credit card payments.
Apps are available for Linux, macOS, Windows, and Amazon Fire TV. Some routers can be manually set up with this service too. Customer support is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported.
- Clients are easy to use
- 24/7 live chat service available
- Large server network
- Strong security measures in place
- Blocked in the UAE and China
- Torrenting and P2P may not work on all servers
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a network that consists of over 9,000 servers. This makes it a great option for users who need to access geographically restricted services from many different locations. It also offers strong security and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is a small VPN provider with over 200 servers in 63+ countries. The number of servers is small but the level of quality is not. In addition, streaming speeds are fast and this service can access many different services while you’re traveling abroad.
The provider has several security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks, and this service stores no logs. Also, this provider accepts cryptocurrency payments, allowing for a greater level of anonymity.
PrivateVPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Some routers and Linux devices can be manually configured to work with this service as well. It should be noted that PrivateVPN customer service agents can only be reached during regular Swedish business hours (PrivateVPN is a Swedish business). Despite this, the quality of customer service is excellent. This VPN allows for 10 devices simultaneously.
- Can unblock several different services
- Fast connection speeds
- No logs are stored
- Works in China
- Customer support not available 24/7
- Small server network
PRIVACY-FOCUSED VPN:PrivateVPN is a privacy-focused service. It has strong encryption in place and stores no logs. It also offers fast connection speeds and can unblock many different services. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish has a network of just under 2,000 servers in around 50 countries. It has also been trusted by the Kodi community for several years thanks to the robust nature of the VPN network; it’s fast and reliable.
There are also many security measures in place. These features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. A traffic scrambling option is also included and this provider stores no logs.
IPVanish apps are available for macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. In addition, this service can be manually installed on some routers and on Linux. It supports an unlimited number of simultaneous connections as well. Live chat support is available 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds
- Great option for torrenters and Kodi users
- No logs stored
- Unlimited number of connections allowed
- Some servers don’t work with Netflix
- Apps don’t work in China
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish is secure and it offers fast streaming speeds. Users can also have an unlimited number of connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is fast and efficient thanks to the use of the WireGuard VPN protocol. PIA is also a lightweight option that is light on system resources and can unblock several different services with ease.
Strong security is offered by PIA. 256-bit AES encryption is provided, along with a kill switch and split tunneling. This service doesn’t store any logs either.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. PIA has customer service that is available 24/7 as well via the provided live chat and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. 10 simultaneous devices can be connected at any one time.
- Strong security measures
- Can provide secure access to many different services
- WireGuard VPN protocol supported (faster, more efficient protocol)
- Several customization options are available
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design is lacking in some ways
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFICIENT OPTION:PIA is a lightweight pick that is fast and efficient. It supports 10 connections at once and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN has just over 750 servers in around 40 locations. This provider’s network is fast and secure and can unblock many different services. Atlas VPN is a newer provider but it doesn’t cut back on quality.
The provider has a lot of security measures in place. These include a kill switch, 256-bit AEs encryption, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. The service stores no logs either and MultiHop servers are in place that can encrypt users’ data twice. Atlas VPN also allows users to make payments with cryptocurrency. This type of payment allows for a greater level of anonymity since names aren’t associated with this type of payment.
Atlas VPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. In addition, an unlimited number of connections are supported.
- Connection speeds are fast
- MultiHop servers encrypt data more than once
- No identifying logs are stored
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be improved
FAST AND SECURE OPTION:Atlas VPN is a newer service but it offers quality features. It offers fast speeds and strong security and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Testing methodology: Finding the best no logs VPNs
While many VPNs claim to be logless, this isn’t true in some cases. I used a strict set of criteria to find the best logless VPNs. Here are some of the factors that I considered:
- Privacy and security measures: VPNs should have no-logs policies to ensure the privacy of users. In addition, cryptocurrency payments are also a good option since they allow for anonymous payments. Security measures such as 256-bit AES encryption also ensure user security and privacy.
- Servers: The more servers the better. Having more servers ensures that users are able to bypass restrictions while travelling. This gives them many different options for doing so.
- Speed: Fast connection speeds are necessary to make sure that users are able to use the internet without lag. This ensures that there is no frustration while browsing and that the overall experience is smooth.
- Ability to unblock services: These VPN providers must be able to allow access to services such as the home libraries of streaming platforms and services like online banking.
How to check to see if your VPN is secure or not
There are a few things to check to see if your VPN is trustworthy and secure. Providers may claim to be, but you should check these things to ensure that this is the case:
- Country of incorporation
- Physical servers
- Shared IP addresses
- DNS leak protection
Country of incorporation
Some countries require all types of internet service providers and VPNs to record and store logs. However, countries such as the British Virgin Islands and Panama don’t. This means that VPNs in these countries will likely never store logs or reveal your browsing data.
The VPNs on this list either rent or own their own physical server hardware. This ensures that they have complete control over the information on the servers. Some VPNs cut costs by using virtual servers. However, this type of server means that the company has to rely on their server being on another company’s machine, which could lead to vulnerabilities.
Shared IP addresses
Usually, VPNs use shared IP addresses. When you connect to a VPN, your IP address is changed to that of the server you are connected to. All of the users connected to the VPN server are assigned this IP address. Even though your VPN provider shouldn’t be storing any logs, this practice makes it difficult to pinpoint an IP address to one specific user.
DNS leak protection
DNS leak protection ensures that when your website’s domain name is resolved into an actual IP address, it is redirected through your VPN’s secure tunnel. It is possible for this redirection to happen outside of the secure tunnel with VPNs that lack leak protection. This could lead to your browsing data being exposed to prying eyes.
No-log Data VPNs FAQs
How do I know if my VPN stores logs?
What type of logs are problematic?
Logs of your online activity and logs that store information containing your IP address are problematic.
Are there any free zero-log VPNs?
This is unlikely. Free VPNs don't have the same resources as paid ones and might track your information and sell it for a profit. In addition, they are also likely to restrict the amount of data you're using. This means that they will at the very least track this. This could mean that they are also tracking your browsing history and IP address. I would recommend using one of the paid VPNs above. They are top-tier and don't store any logs.
Are VPNs safe?
Yes, VPNs are safe to use. Using a VPN while browsing is safer than not using one. While using a VPN, your IP address will be masked and your identity will be protected. You will even be granted increased security in environments such as when you are connected to an open WiFi network. A reputable VPN with high security standards will keep you safe online.
- What exactly is a no-logs VPN?
- Best no-logs VPNs
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Testing methodology: Finding the best no logs VPNs
- How to check to see if your VPN is secure or not
- No-log Data VPNs FAQs
- How do I know if my VPN stores logs?
- What type of logs are problematic?
- Are there any free zero-log VPNs?
- Are VPNs safe?