Whether you plan on traveling to Mexico in the near future, or you’re a citizen of Mexico who is traveling abroad, you can boost your internet privacy by using a Virtual Private Network, or VPN for Mexico. VPNs are privacy tools that will keep your internet traffic safe from online monitoring and allow you to lift geographic restrictions on popular streaming platforms to access content from back home including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and several others. If you’re a resident of Mexico planning to travel outside the country soon, you can access geo-restricted online services with a VPN to keep up with the content you usually access at home, whether it’s Netflix Mexico or Mexican television stations like Televisia and Canal 5.
VPN software is designed to route your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to an intermediary server located somewhere else in the world. Your IP address reveals your device’s location to anyone who can see your internet traffic such as your internet service provider (ISP), government agencies, and malicious hackers – but a VPN will mask your true location with the IP of your chosen server. Using a VPN server’s IP address gives you the appearance of accessing the web from the server’s location and will therefore lift the content block on restricted online services.
You can find more detailed information on each of these providers further down in the article, but here’s a quick summary of my top picks.
Best VPNs to use for Mexico:
- NordVPN: My number one pick for a VPN for Mexico. Sets the standard for security and performance. Offers thousands of servers and plenty of security features. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: This is the best budget choice. Surfshark delivers fast connection speeds for streaming HD video from anywhere in the world. A high level of performance and security that won’t break the bank. Unlimited simultaneous connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN: A popular choice for streaming, downloading, and gaming from abroad. Offers thousands of server locations around the world including servers in Mexico.
- CyberGhost: A great general-use VPN for beginners. Features thousands of servers optimized for speed and security.
- PrivateVPN: An up-and-coming VPN that unblocks most streaming services from abroad.
- IPVanish: Prioritizes security above all, but doesn’t compromise on connection speeds, either. Its remote-friendly interface makes it a favorite for Kodi users.
- Private Internet Access: A lightweight and secure option with servers in Mexico.
- Atlas VPN: Fast and provides lag-free streaming. It doesn’t skimp on security either and offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
In this article, I compiled a list of VPN providers that offer a wide range of server locations to choose from so you can get a Mexican IP address from almost anywhere in the world. I selected these eight VPNs for meeting the following criteria:
- Plenty of server options in Mexico and around the world
- Lifts geographic restrictions
- Fast and reliable speeds
- Security protections you can count on
- Zero logs
- Helpful and available customer support team
Read my VPN testing methodology further in this article for a clearer picture of how I conduct my VPN reviews.
Best VPNs for Mexico
So, without further ado, here is my list of the best VPNs for Mexico.
NordVPN runs one of the largest server networks on the market with more than 5,600 high-speed servers in around 59 countries across the world, including 10+ in Mexico. This wide geographic variety gives NordVPN substantial unblocking capability for streaming-focused users. It easily circumvents restrictions on popular streaming sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, Sling TV, and more. This provider offers servers optimized for specific purposes such as streaming HD video, using double VPNs, and Tor over VPN.
NordVPN combines fast speeds with strong security for its 256-bit encryption, the OpenVPN protocol, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. NordVPN is known for its zero-logging policy which means that it doesn’t keep records of any of your personal data, making it impossible for your online activities to be traced back to you. The company is headquartered in Panama where there are no data retention laws.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. A single subscription will allow you to connect up to six devices simultaneously.
- Thousands of servers around the world including locations in Mexico
- Successfully unblocks geo-restricted services
- Top-notch security standards
- Smoothly streams HD video from abroad
- Keeps no logs
- The desktop app can be slow to connect
BEST CHOICE FOR MEXICO:NordVPN is my first choice for unblocking Mexican services. NordVPN hits all the right marks on security, speed, and unblocking power. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is a budget-friendly provider great for users who want to share it with their friends and family, as it is one of the few VPNs that allow an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Surfshark consistently maintains fast speeds for downloading and streaming from its 3,200+ servers in about 95+ countries. Users focused on streaming have little difficulty accessing geo-restricted Mexican streaming services and major platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
The provider keeps its prices low without sacrificing security. It encrypts your traffic with 256-bit AES encryption and offers protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. A kill switch is included to prevent you from browsing the web unprotected in the event you suddenly lose connection to the VPN. Surfshark automatically scans for malware, blocks ads, and uses its NoBorders functionality to bypass online censorship in countries with strict government control over the internet.
Surfshark keeps no records on its customers’ personally identifiable information and accepts payments in cryptocurrency for anonymous registration. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat and email.
Apps are available for iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. Some internet routers can be manually configured with Surfshark.
- Strong security features
- Incredible streaming speeds
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Lifts geo-restrictions on just about everything
- Zero logs
- Has a few slow servers on its network
- Customer support could be improved
HIGH SPEEDS, LOW PRICE:Surfshark is fast and secure. Users get great value with its limitless allowance of connections and low price. Try it out with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is a high-speed VPN provider with more than 3,000 servers from around 94 countries including Mexico, making it one of the most geographically varied VPNs on this list. This gives the VPN strong unblocking powers for users who want to access media streaming services such as US Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and more.
ExpressVPN maintains high standards of security with its military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch. The only data ExpressVPN stores on its customers are metadata that does not contain personally identifying data or IP addresses. Because this provider is based in the British Virgin Islands, it is not legally required to comply with any data retention laws.
Mobile apps are available for Android and iOS, and there’s desktop support for Windows and macOS systems. A single subscription provides an allowance of five simultaneous connections.
- Thousands of servers around the world, including in Mexico
- Fast speeds for HD streaming, downloading, and gaming
- Accesses all major streaming sites
- Secure encryption and security features
- One of the more expensive providers
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
STREAM FROM ABROAD:ExpressVPN is a favorite for streaming. Features plenty of high-speed servers in Mexico. Protects your privacy while you stream. One of the best VPNs for unblocking geo-restricted streaming services. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost is an easy VPN for beginners to use. Its apps are designed to help you choose a server based on your activities and even include servers optimized for specific streaming services in its Unblock Streaming mode, including dedicated servers for US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video. It runs a network of over 9,000 servers in around 91+ countries with approximately 50 located in Mexico.
CyberGhost’s security offerings include 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, an ad blocker, malware protection, and anti-tracking software. The company is headquartered in Romania where there are no data retention laws, keeping your data safe from the country’s government agencies. CyberGhost does not keep logs on IP addresses or personally identifiable user data.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux. A single subscription contains a generous allotment of seven simultaneous connections.
- 50+ servers in Mexico
- Intuitive apps make it great for beginners
- Specialty servers optimized for streaming and security
- Keeps no logs
- Powerful security features
- Experienced users may not like its limited configuration options
- Doesn’t work in China
LOW COST, BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:CyberGhost is easy to use. Plenty of server options in Mexico. Offers fast and secure servers at an affordable price. Features a 45-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is a VPN newcomer providing fast speeds on its 200+ server network and features locations in about 63 countries, including Mexico. Its small server network is made up for by its high speeds and its considerable unblocking capabilities. It has demonstrated its ability to consistently bypass blocks on BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video, and features unlimited bandwidth for HD streaming. It also works well for torrenting.
PrivateVPN users can choose between 128- and 256-bit AES encryption while browsing the web. Further security offerings include DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and perfect forward secrecy. PrivateVPN won’t log any of your data, so you can have some peace of mind while using the internet. A single subscription includes an allowance of 10 simultaneous connections.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Fast connection speeds
- Reliably works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and others
- Allows torrenting
- Range of security features
- Limited server selection
- Customer support is only available during Swedish business hours
GREAT ALL-ROUNDER:PrivateVPN is good for any purpose. Delivers fast, reliable connection speeds, but doesn’t have the largest server network. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish’s location in the United States may cause concern for privacy-conscious users, but it is one of the few VPN providers that owns its entire network infrastructure instead of renting it, affording the company total control over its web traffic. Because of its no-logs policy, IPVanish could not surrender your personal information to the authorities even if it wanted to.
The provider runs over 2,000 servers in more than 75 locations including approximately four in Mexico. It is a popular provider among Kodi users and torrenters because they can directly download the VPN’s Android APK directly onto their devices. Kodi users without a mouse and keyboard can set up and use the VPN with remote control. IPVanish can access several streaming platforms including BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish keeps its security standards high with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch. An unlimited number of simultaneous connections are allowed under a single account and features apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. Customer support is available through 24/7 live chat.
- Strong privacy protections
- Independently-owned server network
- A remote-friendly interface makes it simple for Kodi users
- Fast connection speeds for high-quality streaming
- Unmetered connections
- Relatively small server network
- Doesn’t consistently work with Netflix
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish is great for families with a lot of devices. Handles several simultaneous connections well. Isn’t the best for streaming from Netflix but meets a high standard of security. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is easy on system resources and also lets users customize the app’s interface. With servers in over 80 countries, including Mexico, users have lots of options for accessing a VPN server in a country of their choice. Another positive aspect of PIA is its use of the fast and efficient WireGuard VPN protocol which helps to make its connection speeds fast. It is also a good choice for accessing geographically restricted content and can provide secure access to services such as Amazon Prime Video and HBO.
Strong security measures are also in place with this service. It includes a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and split tunneling. In addition, no logs are stored by this service.
PIA makes apps available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android as well. PIA has customer service that is available 24/7. For users with several devices, 10 simultaneous connections are allowed under a single subscription.
- Customizable user interface
- Uses the fast and efficient WireGuard VPN protocol
- Several customization options are available
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design is lacking in some ways
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFECTIVE OPTION:PIA is a lightweight option that is capable of providing users with secure access to many different streaming services. It is also no slouch when it comes to security, offering strong encryption and a kill switch. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
Atlas VPN is a smaller provider with just over 750 servers in around 40 locations. Despite its small size, it is a high-quality service offering fast connection speeds and strong security features. It is also adept at unblocking services such as streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video while you’re traveling. It is a good choice for Mexican users who may need to access home services such as online banking which may be tricky to access while abroad.
Atlas VPN also comes with a variety of security features that keep users safe when online. These include 256-bt AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. This service also stores no logs. For users in need of additional protection, they can also encrypt their connection twice with Atlas’ MultiHop servers.
This provider supports both mobile and desktop operating systems too. On the mobile side, Android and iOS are supported while macOS and Windows are supported on the desktop side of things. Users can connect an unlimited number of devices to the service simultaneously.
- Can access many different streaming services
- Fast connection speeds are provided
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice
- No identifying logs are stored
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be better
FAST STREAMING SPEEDS:Atlas VPN has strong security measures in place, such as double encryption and a kill switch. This is in addition to its fast streaming speeds. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
I conduct thorough tests before recommending any VPNs. The criteria changes slightly depending on the VPN use, but here are some of the things I look at when assessing the best VPNs for Mexico.
- Servers in Mexico: The first and most important thing when looking at a VPN for Mexico is that there are plenty of servers in the country. I look at the number of servers in Mexico and the geographical coverage, to ensure that you can connect even during busy periods.
- Security: I look for the highest quality security tools and features, including things like 256-bit AES encryption, a network kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy. I will only ever recommend the safest and most secure VPNs.
- Speeds: Speed is important, especially if you’re going to be using your VPN for streaming or file sharing. My speed tests identify the fastest VPNs and only they make the shortlist.
- Value for money: It’s not just the subscription cost that impacts whether it’s good value for money. Instead of only choosing cheap VPNs, I choose those that give you the most features for your money. This includes money-back guarantees, great service, and more.
Want to know more about how I test VPNs? Check out my full VPN testing methodology.
How to use a VPN in Mexico
A VPN is a wise investment for online security and removing geographic restrictions, whether you live in Mexico or plan on traveling there. Just follow these simple steps to get set up.
How to use a VPN in Mexico:
- Choose a VPN provider that matches your needs and preferences. I recommend NordVPN.
- Sign up with your credit card information.
- Your VPN provider will send you an email with your login information. Use it to connect to a VPN server located in Mexico to get a Mexican IP address. If you are having trouble unblocking your desired content, clear your cache and cookies and connect to a few different servers.
- You can now surf the web with the protection of your VPN.
VPNs for Mexico FAQs
Should I use a free VPN for Mexico?
Searching for a free VPN online will yield hundreds of free alternatives to choose from, including plenty of popular services with thousands of positive reviews. I find it tempting to save my money by opting for a free service, but users of free VPNs expose themselves to more threats to their privacy than they otherwise would without a VPN.
Providers of free VPN services have been known to sustain their business by mining the personal data of their users and selling it to third parties, and they do so without the users’ knowledge or consent. Free VPNs bombard their users with intrusive advertisements and even spread malware despite their claims of top-notch security. The purpose of a VPN is to protect your privacy while using the internet, not compromise it.
Aside from the numerous security risks, free VPNs simply don’t offer the same level of performance as a reputable paid service. You probably won’t find a free VPN that uses a strong encryption protocol (or any encryption at all), and the selection of servers is usually very limited. My personal recommendation: don’t be afraid to pay for a high-quality VPN.
How do I access my home Netflix in Mexico?
If you live in Mexico and plan on traveling to another country, you can access all of the services you normally use back home by connecting to a Mexican VPN server. The server will give your device an IP address located within the country so that geo-blocked online services, including Netflix and many others, will give you access to the region’s video library. Not all VPNs can get past Netflix’s powerful proxy detection services, but each of the VPNs I included in my list managed to do so at the time of this writing. But the game of cat-and-mouse between VPN providers and streaming services never ends, so I suggest making use of refunds to try out a VPN service for free.
Is watching Netflix US outside the country through a VPN legal?
Can Telmex tell that I’m using a VPN?
Telmex and other Mexican ISPs can’t see the content of your internet traffic through the VPN’s layer of encryption, but it might be able to tell that your server’s IP address belongs to a VPN company. It may also have access to metadata pertaining to the time of your connection to the server and the amount of data sent and received through the server.
Is public WiFi safe to use in Mexico?
Public WiFi is full of online hazards no matter where you are. Public WiFi networks rarely have any security protections in place which makes them perfect places for hackers to steal your data, distribute malware, and redirect you to phishing pages. Some hackers even create their own public WiFi hotspots to lure unsuspecting internet users into their trap.
I recommend connecting to a VPN before using any unsecured public network. The VPN’s encryption will keep your personal data out of the hands of hackers, ISPs, and government agencies – and even if your traffic is intercepted, your data cannot be deciphered through the encryption.
How do I get a US IP address while in Mexico?
Getting a US IP address in Mexico is easy if you have a VPN. As long as your provider has servers available in the United States, you will be able to connect to a server with an American IP address and watch American TV. You will then also have full access to online services and platforms region-locked to the US including the US libraries of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu.
Can I access Mexican TV abroad?
Mexican citizens traveling out of the country can keep up with their favorite television content back home with a VPN. Simply connect to a server located in Mexico to get a Mexican IP address with full access to online TV channels in Mexico such as Televisia, Canal 5, Azteca 7, and Azteca Uno.
Should I use a VPN for banking abroad?
Online banking services usually don’t restrict access by region, but their fraud detection systems automatically lock users out of their bank accounts if it detects a login attempt from a country other than the user’s country of residence. If you live in Mexico and plan on traveling abroad, I recommend using a VPN to log in with a Mexican IP address so you don’t have to go through the inconvenient process of calling a customer support representative to regain access to your account.
- Best VPNs for Mexico
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Methodology: How I found the best VPNs for Mexico
- How to use a VPN in Mexico
- VPNs for Mexico FAQs
- Should I use a free VPN for Mexico?
- How do I access my home Netflix in Mexico?
- Is watching Netflix US outside the country through a VPN legal?
- Can Telmex tell that I’m using a VPN?
- Is public WiFi safe to use in Mexico?
- How do I get a US IP address while in Mexico?
- Can I access Mexican TV abroad?
- Should I use a VPN for banking abroad?