Using a VPN creates a secure, encrypted connection online, allowing you to use a server in your chosen location regardless of where you are. In order to gain access to the full suite of US programs on Netflix, you can connect to a VPN server in the US from Australia in just a few simple steps.
However, with countless VPN servers to choose from, ensuring you select the right one for your needs is important. Not to mention that Netflix has now managed to restrict a lot of connections from VPN servers, making it harder to access your favorite shows.
In this article, I will go into further detail about the finest VPN providers on the market, so you can access US Netflix securely and privately. Short on time? Then why not check out a short summary below of the best VPNs to watch US Netflix in Australia:
- NordVPN: My number one pick for using US Netflix in Australia. Its excellent security features and fast speeds make this VPN provider the stand-out choice. Also offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: A great budget option for streaming US Netflix. Expect a reliable service and fast speeds, with a strong focus on privacy.
- ExpressVPN: Competitive speeds and sound security features, it operates numerous servers in the US that work with Netflix.
- CyberGhost: A beginner’s dream. Comes with plenty of bandwidth to ensure you can enjoy high-quality videos without buffering issues.
- PrivateVPN: Despite its smaller network, it’s developing and improving all the time. Comes with great privacy and security standards.
- IPVanish: A favorite among Kodi users, it allows for fast speeds and connections across all of your devices at once.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): A privacy-focused VPN that has servers in over 80 countries. This lightweight provider offers access to several major streaming services.
- Atlas VPN: Able to grant access to geo-restricted content and provide connection speeds suitable for streaming content comfortably.
How do I watch US Netflix in Australia?
Getting started couldn’t be simpler once you know how. All you’ll need to do is follow these simple steps to watch US Netflix in Australia:
- Register with the VPN provider of your choice. Personally, I recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on all the devices you will be using.
- Select a Netflix VPN server in the US and connect.
- Once a connection has formed, you can start to watch your favorite TV shows and movies on US Netflix. It really is as easy as that!
Best VPNs for watching US Netflix in Australia
As I discussed earlier, finding a US server that works with Netflix can be a little tricky. This means that finding a VPN provider with a reliable customer support service is always important, which is why my list only contains providers that offer live chat assistance. Other key factors I have considered as part of my methodology tests include:
- Fast servers and bandwidth
- Excellent security and privacy features
- Easy-to-use with good accessibility
- Apps available for all platforms
For more information about my expert-led VPN selection process, check out my in-depth methodology selection later in this article.
So, having considered the above, here are my eight best VPNs for watching US Netflix in Australia:
NordVPN has more than 5,500 servers around the world, drawing upon an excellent network that allows you to stream Netflix in high quality. It’s consistently one of the fastest VPN providers that Privacy.net tests, which means you’re unlikely to be left frustrated by lag or buffering issues.
Users also benefit from great security, with a no-logs policy, great bandwidth, a kill switch, and leak prevention. NordVPN takes security and privacy seriously, which is one of the many reasons why it’s featured as my number one choice.
Not only is it great for streaming Netflix, the service also works with Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and many other leading streaming platforms. It also allows you to connect up to six devices simultaneously, with apps available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and Android.
- Works great with Netflix US
- Excellent security and online privacy protection
- Great value for money
- Fast and reliable
- 24/7 live chat service available
- Slightly longer connection speed for desktop apps
BEST VPN FOR US NETFLIX:NordVPN is my #1 choice with good reason. Its reliable security and privacy features make it a safe VPN option, with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark makes it easy to safely access US Netflix while you’re in Australia, boasting fast connection speeds from non-US servers that automatically redirect you to the US version of the site. It also has more than 3,200 servers worldwide.
One of the reasons it’s second on my list is because of its commitment to security. Using a kill switch, protection against DNS, IPV6, and WebRTC leaks, and 256-bit strong encryption, it always keeps your data private. It also has a strict no-logs policy to ensure you remain anonymous and comes with a malware scanner built in.
One of its biggest benefits is the unlimited number of simultaneous connections you’re able to use. Its apps are also available on a range of different devices, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and Android.
- Your security and privacy are key areas of focus
- Loads of servers that work with Netflix US
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Unlimited amount of devices you can connect to
- HD streaming compatible
- Settings aren’t very well organized
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is not only affordable, but it also takes your privacy online seriously. Stream US Netflix with minimum fuss and enjoy added peace of mind with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN has several US servers that work with Netflix, operating over 3,000 servers in approximately 94 countries. It offers excellent unlimited bandwidth to ensure your video content can be streamed in HD with no lag and has a no-logs policy to ensure your privacy is always protected.
Other security features include a kill switch, leak prevention, 256-bit AES encryption, and split tunneling. The clue is in the name, but ExpressVPN is also built for speed, so you can watch your favorite shows without interruption.
Its email and live chat service are available 24/7, so any potential issues or queries can be dealt with quickly. With up to five devices allowed to be connected at any one time, you’ll be able to download the app on multiple products. Apps are available for Windows, iOS, macOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android.
- Compatible with all major streaming services
- Fast server networks available across many US locations
- 24/7 live chat support is available
- Excellent security and privacy features
- Not as cheap as some competitors
- Not as much control over advanced features
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for those who stream a lot of content, offering fast and secure connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is also included for users.
CyberGhost offers a simple and convenient way of watching US Netflix in Australia, as you can easily just select Netflix from a list of supporting streaming platforms, rather than choosing a server location. Enjoy fast streaming and no buffering or bandwidth caps when you select CyberGhost.
Not only does it deliver on speed requirements, but it also takes your security seriously. Rest assured knowing you’re enjoying total anonymity and that your data isn’t visible to anyone but yourself. It also hides your traffic via an encrypted tunnel, so your ISP can’t see your bandwidth usage.
You’ll be able to watch US Netflix on any device and be able to connect up to seven at any one time. Its apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux, so you can watch your favorite movies on a range of different platforms.
- Netflix US works from any country
- Strong privacy credentials
- Great speeds for streaming services
- Easy-to-use apps
- Won’t work in countries like the UAE
- Experienced users may not find it customizable enough
POPULAR WITH BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is easy-to-use and accessible. However, its simple layout doesn’t mean it compromises on security, with strong privacy features. Generous 45-day money-back guarantee included.
PrivateVPN may have a slightly smaller network, but it is rapidly developing and improving all the time. What it may lack in servers it makes up for in the range of streaming platforms it works with, including US Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
It also performs well in speed tests, with fast servers in more than 63 countries and unlimited bandwidth. This means you’re likely to experience lag-free streaming with no buffering issues to interrupt your preferred US Netflix shows. You can also expect good security features that’ll meet your privacy standards.
Stream up to 10 simultaneous connections at the same time, with apps available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. Any issues? Then get in touch with its helpful customer support team via live chat or email.
- No-logs policy
- Good streaming speeds
- Owns its servers outright
- Not as many servers available as other providers
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
EXCELLENT SPEEDS:Private VPN is a good pick not only because of its fast streaming speeds, but also because of the privacy features on offer. You can also enjoy a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish is one of the fastest VPNs on this list, with WireGuard® facilitating speedy connections. It has more than 2,000 servers across at least 75 VPN locations, ensuring a high-speed connection is usually always available.
It also boasts great online safety features and takes your privacy seriously, with anonymous IP addresses that protect your internet traffic from potential third-party spying. Expect advanced encryption, a no-logs policy, leak protection, and a kill switch for added security, with advanced settings that automatically protect your online activity.
Another big benefit is the unlimited number of devices you can connect, a great perk for large families. Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android, so you can stream high-quality video content across a variety of different devices.
- Superb online speeds
- Sound privacy features
- A popular choice for users with Kodi devices
- Can struggle with larger streaming services
- Its customer support services aren’t as good as others
GREAT FOR FAMILIES:IPVanish is ideal for users that will need to connect a lot of devices. Offers strong security measures and sound online speeds. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
7. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) offers reliable access to numerous popular streaming sites, including US Netflix. With a global server network of 3,300+ in more than 80 countries, you can access geo-fenced content not only in Australia but also from around the world.
Users can connect up to 10 devices at once to PIA servers, while native app support includes options for the Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux device platforms. Chrome, Opera, and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
Despite PIA’s connection speeds not being as competitive in my connection tests, it’s still more than enough bandwidth for streaming HD and 4K video content. You can also expect government-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and kill switch protection. Plus, ad, tracker, and malware site blocking are also available.
A live chat option, a trouble ticket tracking form, and a searchable support database are available if you ever need assistance.
- Excellent security and privacy measures
- No logs policy
- WireGuard VPN protocol supported
- Not suitable for use in China
- Support material information could be improved
LIGHTWEIGHT AND PRACTICAL:PIA is a great choice for users who value strong privacy features, with an offering geared towards security and a strict no logs policy. Also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for added peace of mind.
8. Atlas VPN
Atlas VPN is a great pick for Netflix fans, with fast, well-protected connections available to users. That being said, its global server network is slightly less than other VPN providers on this list, with 750+ servers spread thinly among 40+ countries. However, it will still be able to reliably grant you access to your favorite streaming platforms.
The provider protects its connections with banking-grade encryption, kill switch protection, IP/DNS leak prevention, and other protective measures. Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus protection keeps you safe from online issues while blocking unwanted ads. All servers are also log-free.
Native app support from Atlas VPN includes Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV device platforms. However, Linux, browser, and router support is currently unavailable.
Also boasts no limit on the number of devices that can be simultaneously connected.
- No limit on the number of connections
- Boasts fast connection speeds
- MultiHop servers can provide double encryption
- Unable to use the VPN in China
- Could improve customer service
STRONG ENCRYPTION:Atlas VPN's MultiHop servers allow users to have an extra layer of protection when they’re online. Offers seamless streaming and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
VPN to watch US Netflix: my testing methodology
Not that many VPNs boast servers in the US that are able to stream the larger library collection while abroad. Another point of consideration is that a lot of your standard VPN providers have slow networks that have a tendency to interrupt your favorite TV drama at just the wrong moment. This is why selecting the right VPN for watching US Netflix in Australia is so important.
Luckily for you, I have used my thorough testing methodology to make sure all of the VPNs I have advised you to consider in this article are fit for the job. There are a whole host of key factors that I have thought about, so let’s take a look at some of the main criteria in more detail:
- Tight security features: I made sure all the VPNs I have suggested don’t have any IP address or DNS leaks, ensuring your privacy is protected at all times while browsing the web. This includes VPNs with a strict no-logs policy.
- Fast servers: All the recommendations in this list offer fast connections and unlimited bandwidth. Nobody likes buffering issues when watching their favorite US Netflix shows, so I think it’s important you select a provider that guarantees no lag.
- Attentive customer support: While not all of the providers in this list offer 24/7 live chat support, they do still fare a lot better than most. I made sure that they all respond to queries efficiently and effectively.
- Apps across all platforms: With so many different devices now available to users, the best VPNs cater to as many as possible. My recommendations have custom apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.
- Global reach: My primary aim was to obviously find VPN servers that work with Netflix US, but the VPNs in this list have servers that also work in Australia and every other corner of the world. This means you can use them no matter where you are globally. Read about how to get an Australian IP with a VPN.
Netflix US in Australia FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to securely access Netflix?
I wouldn’t recommend doing so. Not only do most free VPNs not work with Netflix, but their streaming capabilities also are limited and your privacy may be at risk. In the past, free VPNs have been caught selling data to third-party advertisers. If you’re worried about cost, there are some cheap VPNs available.
Why does Netflix block regions?
As frustrating as it is, the reason Netflix does this is that it’s bound by licensing agreements that it signs with copyright holders. This dictates what countries Netflix can stream particular TV shows and movies in. As we now know, this is the case with US TV shows and movies in Australia. For example, here are some of the shows that are impacted by geo-blocking:
- The Walking Dead
- Twin Peaks
- The Office (US)
- Grey’s Anatomy
- Better Call Saul
Is streaming American Netflix legal from overseas?
It’s not illegal to do this, but it technically goes against Netflix’s terms of service. It’s important to remember that although Netflix has the power to block a lot of VPN connections, it is unable to penalize people who use them. So in a nutshell, it is legal.
Can I watch US Netflix without a VPN in Australia?
No, not really. This is why selecting one of the VPNs I have mentioned in this list is your best option. Web and DNS proxies have worked in the past with Netflix, but they don’t offer the same level of protection as a VPN.
Can I switch back to Netflix Australia when I want?
To do this, you’ll just need to disconnect from the VPN and restart Netflix. If you come across any issues, then you may need to clear your cookies or web cache.
- How do I watch US Netflix in Australia?
- Best VPNs for watching US Netflix in Australia
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- VPN to watch US Netflix: my testing methodology
- Netflix US in Australia FAQs
- Can I use a free VPN to securely access Netflix?
- Why does Netflix block regions?
- Is streaming American Netflix legal from overseas?
- Can I watch US Netflix without a VPN in Australia?
- Can I switch back to Netflix Australia when I want?