Watching Australian TV online typically requires an Australian IP address. This means that if you’re abroad you won’t be able to enjoy content from back home on channels such as Foxtel or 7plus. You might also not be able to access services such as online banking. Luckily, there’s a solution to this. By using a VPN, you can obtain an Australian IP address.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) securely routes your internet connection through a third-party server. This connection is encrypted and the server can be in locations across the globe, including Australia. This encrypted connection masks your identity online and protects you from threats such as man-in-the-middle attacks. It can also give you an IP address that corresponds to the location of the server. Many top VPNs have servers in Australia.
Here, I have reviewed the best VPNs for getting an IP address in Australia. However, if you’re in a rush, here’s a summary:
- NordVPN: NordVPN is my top VPN for getting an Australian IP address. It has fast connection speeds and is able to unblock the top Australian services without hassle. In addition, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Surfshark is an affordable option for getting an Australian IP address. It’s cost effective but doesn’t skimp on quality, providing strong security and fast speeds.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN is a great option for streaming because of its incredibly fast servers. It can also unblock Australian services easily and has a great security record.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost is easy to use for beginners and has a large server network that includes servers in Australia. It is overall a secure and fast VPN.
- IPVanish: IPVanish is a fast VPN that is torrent-friendly. It has a no-logs policy and is great for streaming content. It also comes with a wealth of security features.
- PrivateVPN: Private VPN is a high-speed provider that takes security seriously. It has servers in Australia and is capable of unblocking the best Australian services.
- Atlas VPN: Atlas VPN is fast and secure. It can unblock services and protects you while online. Australian servers will ensure that you are able to enjoy the content you want to while abroad.
See also: The Best VPNs for Australia
How to get an Australian IP address
Here’s how to get an Australian IP address:
- Register for a VPN service that has Australian servers. I recommend using NordVPN.
- Download the app for your chosen device and install it.
- You will then need to open the VPN app and connect to an Australian server. This will give you an Australian IP address.
- Head to an Australian service to make sure that you are able to access it.
- If it doesn’t work, clear your browser’s cookies and cache.
Best VPNs for getting an Australian IP address
I tested each VPN on this list thoroughly to ensure that they are of high quality. Here is some of the criteria I used:
- A selection of Australian servers
- Reliable speeds for streaming and gaming
- High levels of encryption, security, and privacy
Here is a list of the best VPNs for getting an Australian IP address:
NordVPN operates a large network of servers that includes over 5000 servers in 60 countries. This includes more than 190 Australian servers. You can easily stream content from Australia while abroad with this service thanks to the fast connection speeds and stable connection. It is also easy to use and set up on many different devices.
On top of being fast, NordVPN is a secure platform, offering security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware scanner, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. This provider also doesn’t store any logs, keeping your personal information and browsing history private.
Apps are available for Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices. Routers can be manually configured to work with this service. Live chat support is available 24/7 as well and six simultaneous connections are supported.
- Strong security features available
- Fastest connection speeds I’ve tested
- Able to unblock Australian and other streaming services easily
- No logs are stored
- Customer support team is excellent
- The desktop apps can be slow sometimes
BEST VPN FOR GETTING AN AUSTRALIAN IP ADDRESS:NordVPN can unblock the most popular Australian services and streaming sites. It is also fast and secure and it stores no logs. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee that allows you to try the service risk-free.
Surfshark is the best budget VPN for an Australian IP address. It offers a high level of privacy protection while still offering a fast server network of over 3200 servers in more than 65 countries, including Australia. Surfshark can bypass geographical blocks on content from streaming platforms such as 7Plus, 9Now, and Netflix Australia.
Security is a top priority at Surfshark as well. Security measures are in place such as a kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks. There’s also an automatic ad and malware blocker in place. Moreover, Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information. They even accept cryptocurrency which makes for anonymous financial transactions.
Apps for Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android are available.This VPN service can also be manually configured to work on routers.
- Works with major streaming services such as Netflix Australia
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures are in place
- An unlimited number of connections is supported
- Server speeds may vary slightly
BEST BUDGET VPN OPTION:This is the best budget VPN option that I have come across. It’s affordable, fast, and it can unblock major streaming services such as 7Plus. In addition, it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is popular among users who like to stream. This is because ExpressVPN is recognized as one of the fastest VPN options available. In total, ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers offering fast speeds across the world. This includes servers in Australia. ExpressVPN can also access restricted services such as Foxtel, Netflix, Kayo, and 9Now.
Security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks are available. For increased anonymity, there is a .onion site which is accessed over the TOR network. On top of that, cryptocurrency payments are also accepted, ensuring that your name isn’t associated with the purchase of the VPN.
Apps are available for operating systems such as Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Routers can be manually configured to work with the service and ExpressVPN even offers routers that come preconfigured with its custom firmware. Five devices can use an ExpressVPN subscription at a time and customer service is excellent and offered 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds are available allowing for seamless streaming
- Able to unblock many services
- .onion site available
- Cryptocurrency payments accepted
- More expensive than other options
- Not customizable enough for some users
GREAT OPTION FOR STREAMING:Express VPN’s server network is one of the fastest out there and it also offers a secure platform that’s easy to use. These factors coupled with a 30-day money-back guarantee make it one of my top Australian VPN picks.
CyberGhost can’t be beaten when it comes to the sheer number of servers that it offers. This provider has a global network that consists of over 7,000 servers. These servers are optimized for streaming and can access content from streaming services such as Kayo and Netflix Australia.
Security is strong with CyberGhost. Security measures such as a kill switch, perfect forward secrecy, 256-bit AES encryption, and protection against DNS leaks are offered. No logs are stored either.
CyberGhost has apps for Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. It allows for seven simultaneous connections and has a live chat system in place that is available 24/7. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included with subscriptions.
- Smooth reliable connections
- 24/7 live chat support offered
- 45-day money back guarantee offered
- Strong security
- Blocked in China and the UAE
- Limited control over the more advanced features
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a huge server network that makes it easy to find the servers in the countries that you need. It is easy to configure and easy to use. It comes with a 45-day money back guarantee.
IPVanish is popular with streamers; this is especially the case with Kodi users. It has been a staple in their community for many years due to its suitability for streaming. IPVanish has over 2000 servers in 75 locations, including 69+ servers in Australia. This allows users to access services such as Foxtel, Kayo, and Netflix Australia.
IPVanish offers strong security measures too. Measures like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, protection against DNS leaks, and perfect forward secrecy are in place. No logs are stored by this service.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. It can be manually set up on routers and Linux devices too. IPVanish supports an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
- No logs are stored
- An unlimited number of connections is allowed
- Fast connection speeds allow for smooth streaming
- Cryptocurrency not accepted
- Doesn’t work consistently with Netflix
PrivateVPN is a small VPN provider with just over 200 servers. Despite its small size, it has servers in 63 countries including Australia.
PrivateVPN is a secure platform as well, offering features such as 256-bit AES encryption, protection from IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. There is also a kill switch available. No personally identifiable information is stored and cryptocurrency payments are accepted.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android mobile devices. Linux systems can be manually set up to work with this service as well. Live chat support isn’t offered with this service but the quality of customer support is good. The support team can even remotely connect to your computer to help you with an installation if this is needed. 10 simultaneous connections are supported by this service.
- Fast connection speeds
- Access many services like Netflix Australia
- Easy to use apps
- Strong security features
- Smaller server network
- Customer support only available during regular business hours
GREAT OPTION FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a great option for streaming services such as 9Now since it offers fast and stable connection speeds. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
AtlasVPN is a smaller VPN provider with around 800 servers. The speeds offered are fast and servers in Australia are available. AtlasVPN can access services such as Netflix Australia, 7plus and 9Now with ease while abroad.
The security features offered are top notch and include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and a kill switch. No logs are stored and Multihop servers are available that are capable of encrypting users’ data more than once for increased protection.
Atlas VPN provides apps for iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows. An unlimited number of connections is supported.
- Can unblock many different services such as Kayo
- Facilitates fast, stable connections
- Multihop servers encrypt data twice
- No identifying logs are stored
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be improved
SECURE AND FAST STREAMING:AtlasVPN servers offer fast speeds that are ensure that users can stream Australian TV without lag or buffering. This service is also secure and supports unlimited connections. A 30-day money back guarantee is included.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for an Australian IP
There are many VPN services that are available. Not all of them are equal, however. I tested the VPNs on this list stringently, and here is what I considered during my tests:
- Servers in Australia: The VPNs chosen needed to have reliable servers in Australia. More servers is better since this increases your chance of a problem-free experience even if one or more of the servers is down.
- Security: A VPN should offer users a secure connection. Data should be encrypted to ensure privacy and safety. All of the VPNs on this list offer strong security measures and a no-logs policy.
- Speed: The servers on this list need to be fast enough to allow for smooth, lag-free streaming. They were also tested with other activities like gaming and downloading.
- Good customer support: Good customer support ensures that users aren’t left puzzled when they encounter problems. This includes having a sound knowledge base where users can get information. Having 24/7 live chat support is desirable too.
Australian IP address FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to get an Australian IP address?
While you can use a free VPN to get an Australian IP address, I don’t recommend it. Free VPNs have limited resources and servers. This means that they easily get overloaded with users, causing slow speeds. They also tend to not have security features that are on the same level as paid VPNs. This means that free VPNs sometimes lack features such as encryption.
On top of that, some free VPN providers have been known to sell users’ data to third parties for a profit. They also resort to ads sometimes. Some of them aren’t even capable of unblocking services. Given all of these factors, it’s best to use a paid VPN service that you know will work reliably and keep you safe while online. There is plenty of premium but cheap VPNs out there to choose from.
Do I need an Australian IP address to watch Australian TV online while abroad?
If you live in a country that restricts the content that you can access online, connecting to an Australian VPN to get an Australian IP address can help with this. Australians generally enjoy access to the internet with little to no restrictions which means that you can access social media platforms to your heart’s content with an IP address.
If you are an Australian traveling abroad, a VPN can also be useful. By connecting to an Australian VPN server, you can get an Australian IP address and watch content from Netflix Australia, ABC, and SBS without hassle. Note that torrenting is illegal in Australia, however.
Privacy.net does not encourage using a VPN to stream Australian content illegally. Please consult local laws before deciding to embark on this route. Nothing in this article should be considered legal advice.
Can I get an Australian IP address without a VPN?
It is possible to use an online proxy service to get an Australian IP address. However, your connection won’t be encrypted and some proxies aren’t reliable since they don’t provide the security benefits of a VPN. Speeds will also likely be higher with a VPN.
Is Using a VPN to get an Australian VPN dangerous?
Paid services such as the ones on this list are generally safe. However, there are some suspect VPN providers out there. Stick to VPN providers that have robust security and privacy policies, secure apps, and several privacy and security features.
Some VPN providers on the market don’t offer you any protection and even collect your personal data. You should also note that VPN use is in breach of the terms of service of some services. Check to see if using a VPN is supported by the streaming or other service you are trying to use.
Does my IP address carry any personal information about me?
Your IP address doesn’t hold any of your personal information. However, it can be used to track your activity and it could be traced back to you.
- How to get an Australian IP address
- Best VPNs for getting an Australian IP address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for an Australian IP
- Australian IP address FAQs
- Can I use a free VPN to get an Australian IP address?
- Do I need an Australian IP address to watch Australian TV online while abroad?
- Can I get an Australian IP address without a VPN?
- Is Using a VPN to get an Australian VPN dangerous?
- Does my IP address carry any personal information about me?