Snapchat offers a unique take on a social media app. Users typically share images and videos with their network, which then disappear after some time. While the app has become a popular staple for many, it is blocked in many places of work and education.
It is even restricted in countries such as China, Iran, and some countries in the Middle East. However, there is a way around these restrictions. With a VPN, you can access this popular app in places where it is restricted.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) routes your internet connection through a secure, third-party server, masking your presence online. The connection is also encrypted. This leads to increased security and ensures that governments and ISPs aren’t able to access your data. In addition, VPNs allow users to access restricted apps and content.
I cover the best articles for unblocking Snapchat in this article in detail. However, if you’re in a rush, here’s a quick summary.
The best VPNs for Snapchat:
- NordVPN: This is my number one choice for Snapchat. It has fast speeds, strong security measures in place, and thousands of servers available. It can also access many different services with ease, including Snapchat. In addition, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, ensuring users can try the service risk-free.
- Surfshark: This is a great budget option that has a server network of over 3,000 servers in around 100+ countries. It can easily unblock services and offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: A solid option that offers very fast speeds, making it a great streaming option. It works with many top-tier streaming services and with Snapchat.
- CyberGhost: Has a massive server network, giving users several options of IP addresses. It also has solid security measures in place.
- PrivateVPN: A newer, privacy-focused VPN provider. It has servers in over 63 countries and can easily access services such as Snapchat.
- IPVanish: A popular option among Kodi users. It offers fast connection speeds, is reliable, and can comfortably access services such as Snapchat.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): A lightweight and secure option with servers globally. It is customizable and a strong choice for Snapchat users.
- Atlas VPN: A smaller provider. With that being said, it is both fast and secure. It can access many different services, including social media apps and streaming services.
I researched several different VPNs in depth in order to find the best VPNs for Snapchat. I picked VPNs based on the following criteria:
- Can provide secure access to Snapchat and many different streaming services, including Netflix and Hulu
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures
- Works in a large selection of countries
For more information about the criteria I used, check out the testing methodology section further down this article.
Best VPNs for Snapchat
Here is my list of the best VPNs for Snapchat:
NordVPN’s blazing-fast server network consists of over 5,000 servers, spread across 60+ countries. NordVPN’s fast connection speeds and strong reliability mean that it is an excellent option for accessing Snapchat. It is also able to provide secure access to several streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos. This makes it good for those abroad who are trying to access services from back home.
NordVPN also has several security features which protect users. It has 256-bit AES encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware scanner, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. This is also supplemented by NordVPN’s strong privacy standards. This provider makes a point of not storing any logs and also accepts cryptocurrency payments. These payments don’t associate users’ names with payments, unlike traditional credit cards.
Users have the option to download NordVPN on several different operating systems. These include macOS, iOS, Linux, Windows, and Android. Routers can also be manually configured to work with this service. Users can connect six of their devices to this service simultaneously and the customer support team can be reached 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds are great for streaming applications
- Strong security measures keep users protected
- No logs are stored
- Apps are available for many different platforms
- The customer support team is available 24/7
- The desktop app can be slow at times
BEST VPN FOR SNAPCHAT:NordVPN is my number one choice. It has a large server network and it offers fast streaming speeds, making it easy to carry out all of one’s internet activities without lag. Its global network of over 5,000 servers also makes it easy for users to access geographically restricted services. NordVPN also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing users to try the service risk-free.
Surfshark is an excellent budget VPN. Although it is an affordable service, you shouldn’t take this to mean that the service offered is subpar. This VPN has servers in about 100 countries (over 3,200 servers) that are fast and secure. It is a good option for users who might be interested in accessing Snapchat in an area where it is blocked.
Surfshark has strong security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and a kill switch. Traffic scrambling is also provided. Another positive aspect of this provider is their support for cryptocurrency payments. This form of payment allows for higher levels of anonymity since names aren’t associated with cryptocurrency transactions like they are with traditional credit card transactions. This service also stores no logs.
Apps are available for Linux, macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. Some routers can also have this service manually installed on them. Surfshark offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections too, which is a great option for users who have several different devices that they may need to protect. The customer service team is available 24/7 via live chat which bodes well for people in different time zones.
- Able to unblock many different services
- Fast connection speeds which is great for streaming
- Strong security measures are in place
- An unlimited number of connections are supported
- Cryptocurrency payments are supported which is great for increased anonymity
- Doesn’t have as many servers as a service like NordVPN
- Some servers can occasionally be slow
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR SURFSHARK:Surfshark is affordable but it doesn’t skimp on performance. It can handle streaming services like Netflix and Hulu without buffering and an unlimited number of simultaneous connections are supported. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is an excellent VPN for users that stream a lot. Its server network provides very fast connection speeds and is made up of over 3,000 servers in 94+ countries. It’s able to access many first-rate streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, YouTube TV, Netflix US, and Hulu. It is also easy to start using, making it a great option for beginners. Overall, this is a solid option for Snapchat.
Strong security measures are in place such as 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. A .onion site, which is accessed via the TOR network lets users protect their anonymity further, along with ExpressVPN’s support for cryptocurrency payments. Cryptocurrency payments provide increased anonymity because a user’s name isn’t associated with a cryptocurrency payment like it is with a traditional credit card payment. This service stores no logs. Five simultaneous device connections are allowed by ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has apps for a number of different operating systems too. These include iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and macOS. It can also be installed on supported routers. ExpressVPN’s customer support team is available 24/7 via the provided live chat.
- Fast connection speeds are available
- Can unblock many different streaming services
- .onion site available and cryptocurrency payments supported
- Strong security measures are in place
- This service is more expensive than some of the other providers on this list
- Lack of customizability may be frustrating for more advanced users
GREAT STREAMING OPTION:ExpressVPN is a great Snapchat option since it has fast servers and can unblock many different services with ease. It also has strong security measures in place. In addition, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has a huge number of servers. In total, this VPN has over 9,700 servers in 91+ countries.
There are strong security measures in place too. These include 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. This service also doesn’t store any logs. This provider accepts cryptocurrency payments, which are more anonymous than traditional credit card payments.
CyberGhost apps can be downloaded for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. Some routers can also be manually configured to work with this service. The customer support team is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported by this provider.
- App clients are easy to use
- 24/7 live chat service is provided
- Huge server network is spread across a large number of countries
- Strong security and privacy measures are in place
- Blocked in the UAE and China
- Torrenting and P2P may not work on all servers
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a very large server network. It gives users lots of different choices for getting a different IP address. It has strong security measures in place and this provider gives users a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN provider. It only has just over 200 servers. However, its server network is spread across 60+ countries. This means you can access Snapchat and major streaming services from many different countries if you’re an expat. PrivateVPN provides fast streaming and connection speeds overall and can access streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer.
PrivateVPN has strong security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption, protection from IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and it stores no logs. On top of that, this provider accepts cryptocurrency payments. This allows for a greater level of anonymity.
Apps are provided for iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS. Linux devices and routers can be manually configured to work with this service. One thing to note is that customer service agents can only be reached during regular business hours. The quality of customer service is excellent but this could cause issues for some. 10 devices can be connected on a single subscription simultaneously.
- Accesses Netflix and many other streaming sites
- Fast speeds
- No logs are stored
- Works in China
- Small server network
- Customer support isn’t available 24/7
PRIVACY-FOCUSED VPN:PrivateVPN is a privacy-focused VPN that has features such as strong encryption in place to keep you safe while online. It also provides access to a wide range of streaming platforms. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish is a secure platform that has strong streaming speeds. For this reason, it has been endorsed by the Kodi community for several years. IPVanish is also able to access many different services, including Snapchat.
The security features included with this provider are critical for user safety. They include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There is also a traffic scrambling option provided.
IPVanish apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. In addition, this service can also be manually set up on some routers and on Linux. An unlimited number of simultaneous connections are allowed and the customer support team is available 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds
- Unlimited number of connections
- No logs are stored
- Great option for Kodi users and torrenters
- Apps don’t work in China
- Some servers don’t work with Netflix
FAST STREAMING AND UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish is a secure platform and fast streaming speeds are offered. Users also have the option of unlimited connections and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a lightweight option that allows users to customize the interface of the application. It has servers in over 80 countries. It can access streaming services such as YouTube TV and BBC iPlayer along with access to region-locked IPTV services. This VPN also supports the fast and efficient WireGuard VPN protocol.
Strong security is offered by this provider as well. With this provider, you will get a kill switch and split tunneling. This service also doesn’t store any logs.
PIA apps can be downloaded for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. PIA’s customer service can be reached via their 24/7 live chat and an unlimited number of device connections are allowed.
- Can provide access to many different services
- Strong security features are in place
- The WireGuard VPN protocol is supported (it is faster and more efficient)
- Several customization options are available
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design could be improved
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFECTIVE OPTION:PIA is a lightweight option that provides users with access to many different restricted services. It has several customization options and it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN has just over 750 servers in 40+ locations. This provider’s network is fast and secure and can unblock many different services. Atlas VPN is a newer provider but it doesn’t cut back on quality.
The provider has a lot of security measures in place. These include a kill switch, 256-bit AEs encryption, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. The service stores no logs and MultiHop servers are in place that can encrypt users’ data twice. Atlas VPN also allows users to make payments with cryptocurrency. This type of payment allows for a greater level of anonymity since names aren’t associated with this type of payment.
Atlas VPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. In addition, an unlimited number of connections are supported.
- Can unblock many different services
- Connection speeds are fast
- MultiHop servers encrypt data more than once
- No identifying logs are stored
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be improved
FAST AND SECURE:Atlas VPN is a newer service but it offers quality features. It offers fast speeds and strong security too. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and supports an unlimited amount of simultaneous connections.
Testing methodology: How I found the best VPNs for Snapchat
There are many different VPN services available in today’s world. However, not all of them are created equally. For that reason, I extensively tested the best providers using my testing methodology in order to find those that work best with Snapchat. Here are some of the factors I considered:
- Servers: The greater the number of servers the better. This gives users more options when it comes to locations and can allow them to bypass a number of different geographical restrictions. This also makes the process of accessing apps like Snapchat easier since there is a chance that some servers may be blocked by organizations or countries. With more servers in place, it is more likely users will find a server they can unblock a service with.
- Ability to unblock services: The VPN services that I reviewed are all capable of unblocking a wide range of services, including Snapchat.
- Security: In addition to unblocking services, VPNs should offer an additional layer of protection to users. This includes encryption and protection against hackers on open WiFi networks. These security measures give users the confidence they deserve while browsing the internet.
- Speed: Fast connection speeds are necessary to ensure that users are allowed an unencumbered browsing experience without any lag or buffering. All of the VPNs reviewed here offer fast connection speeds that allow this.
How to use a VPN to access Snapchat
If you have access to a top-tier VPN like the ones reviewed here, you can bypass Snapchat without any issues. Just follow these steps:
- Sign up for one of the VPNs reviewed here. I recommend NordVPN.
- After signing up for the service, download the app for the device you will be using to access Snapchat.
- Now, connect to a VPN server in a country that allows Snapchat.
- After connecting to the right VPN server, you can try using Snapchat.
If you encounter issues, try clearing your device’s cache. If that doesn’t work either, you can try contacting your VPN’s support team to resolve this issue.
Snapchat VPN FAQs
Should I use a free VPN to access Snapchat?
I don't recommend using free VPNs. Free VPNs don't have the infrastructure in place to support a lag free and secure browsing experience. On top of that, free VPNs aren't able to unblock some services such as Snapchat.
They may also be slower than paid VPNs due to the saturation of a usually smaller server network. Free VPNs may also sell user data for a profit. For these reasons, I don't recommend using a free VPN.
Should I use a VPN with Snapchat?
Even if you aren't using a VPN to access Snapchat, the security benefits of a VPN are worth it. If you are using a VPN to access Snapchat, remember that there may be consequences of this depending on the organization (work or school) or country where this happens.
Is using a VPN to access Snapchat legal?
Yes, there is nothing preventing the use of Snapchat with a VPN. However, you may be going against Snapchat's terms and conditions if you use a VPN to access the social media app in a country where it isn't available. However, it isn't likely that any action will be taken because of this use case.
Are VPNs safe?
Yes, VPNs are safe. Using a VPN while using the internet is safer than not using one. While using a VPN, your IP address will be masked, and your identity will be protected. You will even be granted increased security in the event that you are on an open WiFi network.
- Best VPNs for Snapchat
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Testing methodology: How I found the best VPNs for Snapchat
- How to use a VPN to access Snapchat
- Snapchat VPN FAQs
- Should I use a free VPN to access Snapchat?
- Should I use a VPN with Snapchat?
- Is using a VPN to access Snapchat legal?
- Are VPNs safe?