Compared to other web browsers, Mozilla Firefox is known for its privacy, security, and simple, easy-to-use interface. In addition, it’s open-source. To add to its great privacy track record, this browser is also supported by top VPNs directly through dedicated Firefox add-ons.
This is a handy option for cases when you just want to protect your browser activity. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) routes your internet connection through a secure third-party network and masks your online activity from ISPs and governments. It also encrypts your connection. Even though Mozilla Firefox VPN add-ons are convenient, I still recommend getting a full VPN option so that all of your internet activity is protected by your VPN.
In this article, I have reviewed the best VPN services that offer VPN add-ons for Mozilla Firefox in detail. However, if you’re short on time, here’s a quick review.
The best VPNs for Mozilla Firefox:
- NordVPN: My top choice for Firefox. It has over 5,000 servers, strong security measures in place, and is capable of accessing many different services. It is a clear top contender. In addition, a NordVPN subscription comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, ensuring that users can try the service risk-free.
- Surfshark: The best budget option for Firefox. It has over 3,200 servers and can easily unblock services. Offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: A solid streaming option with strong security features that work well with Firefox. An excellent all-rounder.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost has a large server network of more than 9,000 servers and can effectively unblock services.
- Private Internet Access: A lightweight and secure option with a Firefox extension. Offers a good selection of privacy features
When I went through the process of finding the best VPN browser extensions for Firefox, I used the following criteria:
- Includes a Firefox add-on
- Provides fast and reliable connection speeds
- Stores no logs
- Can unblock services with ease
- Offers strong security measures
For more information about the criteria I used, check out the testing methodology section found later in this article.
Best VPNs for Firefox
Here is my list of the best VPN services that offer VPN browser extensions for Firefox:
With blazing-fast connection speeds and over 5,000 servers in 60+ countries, NordVPN is an excellent VPN choice, especially for those who stream a lot. With its fast connection speeds and multiple server locations, it is a great option for expats who may be looking to unblock content from their home countries.
In addition to being a great option for expats, there are several security features in place that keep users secure while using the service. For example, measures such as 256-bit AES encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware scanner, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, keep users’ connections secure while they use the service. No logs are stored either which is excellent from a privacy viewpoint. NordVPN also accepts cryptocurrency payments which don’t associate users’ names with payments, unlike traditional credit card payments.
NordVPN apps are available for macOS, iOS, Linux, Windows, and Android. It also offers a Mozilla Firefox browser extension which works quite well. Routers can be manually configured to work with the service too. Six simultaneous device connections are supported and the customer support team can be reached 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds are great for streaming applications
- Strong security measures keep users protected
- No logs are stored
- Apps are available for many different platforms
- The customer support team is available 24/7
- The desktop app can be slow at times
BEST VPN FOR A MOZILLA FIREFOX EXTENSION:NordVPN is my top choice for a Mozilla Firefox VPN extension. It has a large server network that offers speeds that are fast enough to support streaming content in high definition and it is a secure platform. Offers users a 30-day money-back guarantee so that they can try the service risk-free during that period.
Surfshark is hard to beat when it comes to the affordability of its plans. This doesn’t mean that this service skimps on quality either. It has a network that consists of over 3,200 servers, spread across 100+ countries. The server network is also fast and secure. It can unblock many different services with ease.
The provider also has strong security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. There is also a kill switch in place and traffic scrambling is provided. Surfshark also supports cryptocurrency payments, which lend themselves to being more anonymous than traditional credit card payments since they don’t have names associated with them. This service stores no logs.
Surfshark apps are available for Linux, macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. It also offers a Firefox extension. Some routers can have this service manually installed on them. Surfshark offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections, making it a great option for users with many different devices. The customer support team is available 24/7
- Very affordably priced
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures
- An unlimited number of connections are allowed
- Cryptocurrency payments are supported
- Some servers can occasionally be slow
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is an affordable VPN option that doesn’t skimp on performance. In addition, it can handle streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu without buffering and an unlimited number of simultaneous connections are supported. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is an excellent option for users who stream a lot. This is because it offers some of the fastest streaming speeds when it comes to VPNs. It has a network of over 3,000 servers in 94+ countries as well, making it a great option for users who need to access geographically restricted services. It is also very easy to use, making it one of the better choices for beginners.
ExpressVPN has strong security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. This provider also has a .onion site which can only be accessed via the anonymous TOR network. The TOR network is heavily encrypted and therefore is an excellent option for those who want to browse anonymously.
Another privacy measure that has been put in place by ExpressVPN is the company’s acceptance of cryptocurrency payments. These allow users to make payments without having their names associated with the payment. In addition, this service stores no logs and eight simultaneous device connections are allowed.
The provider has apps available for iOS, Android, macOS, and Linux too. There is also a Firefox extension offered. It can be installed on supported routers and the customer support team can be reached 24/7 via the provided live chat.
- Fast connection speeds
- Can access top-tier streaming services
- Strong privacy measures such as a .onion site and acceptance of cryptocurrency payments
- Excellent security measures such as encryption
- More expensive than some other options
- Lack of customizability could be frustrating for advanced users
GREAT STREAMING OPTION:ExpressVPN offers very fast streaming speeds and this provider clearly prioritizes security and privacy, as seen by its .onion site and acceptance of cryptocurrency. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has a huge number of servers. In total, this VPN has over 9,700 servers in 91+ countries. Meaning you can access geo-restricted services from pretty much anywhere in the world.
There are strong security measures in place too, such as 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. This service also doesn’t store any logs. This provider accepts cryptocurrency payments as well which are more anonymous than traditional credit card payments.
CyberGhost apps can be downloaded for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS, and a Mozilla Firefox extension is offered. Some routers can also be manually configured to work with this service. The customer support team is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported by this provider.
- Clients are easy to use
- 24/7 live chat service is provided
- Huge server network is spread across a large number of countries
- Strong security and privacy measures are in place
- Blocked in the UAE and China
- Torrenting and P2P may not work on all servers
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a very large server network. It gives users lots of different choices for getting a different IP address. It has strong security measures in place and this provider gives users a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a lightweight option. It has several customization options and allows users to change the app’s interface to their liking. This service also uses the fast and efficient WireGuard VPN protocol and can unblock many different services.
Strong security is offered by this VPN as well. The security features included are 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and split tunneling. No logs are stored by this service.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. There is also a Firefox extension that is offered. PIA has customer service that is available via the 24/7 live chat and an unlimited number of connections are allowed too.
- Strong security measures
- Can provide secure access to many services
- WireGuardVPN protocol supported
- Several customization options are in place
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design can be lacking in some ways
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFECTIVE OPTION:PIA is a lightweight option that is fast and efficient. It supports an unlimited number of connections and several customization options. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Our Testing methodology: How I found the best Mozilla Firefox VPN extensions
There are many different VPN services that are available. However, not all of them are high-quality options. In addition, not all of them offer an extension for Mozilla Firefox.
I reviewed many different VPN services that offer a Mozilla Firefox extension and eventually found some solid options that work reliably. I used a strict set of criteria to achieve this list, as stated in my testing methodology.
Here are some of the factors I considered while finding the best Mozilla Firefox VPN extensions.
- Servers: The greater the number of servers the better. This increases the chance of being able to access services from across the globe.
- Ability to unblock services: A VPN service must be able to allow access to services which may be blocked due to geographical restrictions.
- Offers Mozilla Firefox extensions: Mozilla Firefox extensions aren’t offered by every VPN service, so I made sure to seek out top-quality VPN options that offer this extension.
- Security: VPNs can provide protection against hackers on open WiFi networks and they also encrypt your connection. Security features like this ensure your safety while online.
- Speed: While all VPNs slow down your VPN connection slightly, there shouldn’t be any significant lag with a top-quality option. The options that I picked guarantee no lag and ensure there is no frustration while browsing and the overall experience is smooth.
How to enable a VPN with Mozilla Firefox
After signing up for a VPN service that offers a Firefox extension, you can follow these steps to get it up and running in your browser:
- Visit addons.mozilla.org and search for your VPN provider.
- Download and install the extension and allow all needed permissions.
- Select a server you want to connect to and connect to it.
- You should now be able to browse with the protection of your VPN when using Firefox.
If you have any connection issues, try clearing your Firefox cookies and cache. If this still doesn’t work, contact customer service for assistance.
Best VPNs for Mozilla Firefox FAQs
Should I use a free VPN option?
No, I don't recommend a free VPN option. Free VPN options do not offer the same performance as paid options since they don't have the same infrastructure in place. Free VPNs are usually slower and they sometimes restrict the amount of data that users can transfer. In addition, they don't usually unblock services completely. Moreover, security measures such as encryption are not always in place with free options. Some free options also simply don't offer Firefox extensions.
For these reasons, I recommend using a top-tier VPN option such as the providers reviewed in this article.
Does Firefox have a built-in VPN?
Some browsers such as Opera offer their own VPN software. However, Firefox doesn't offer a VPN extension. There is a standalone VPN option offered by Firefox called Mozilla VPN. This is a full-feature option with no extension.
Are VPNs safe?
Yes, VPNs are safe. Using a VPN is safer than not using one. While using a VPN, your IP address is masked and your identity will be protected. You even get some additional protection while connected to open WiFi networks.
Is a standalone VPN better than a Firefox VPN extension?
Firefox VPN extensions only protect the traffic within Firefox. However, a standalone option protects all of your internet traffic, offering more comprehensive protection.
- Best VPNs for Firefox
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- Our Testing methodology: How I found the best Mozilla Firefox VPN extensions
- How to enable a VPN with Mozilla Firefox
- Best VPNs for Mozilla Firefox FAQs
- Should I use a free VPN option?
- Does Firefox have a built-in VPN?
- Are VPNs safe?
- Is a standalone VPN better than a Firefox VPN extension?