Whatsapp is one of the most popular communication apps on the planet. A huge part of its popularity is that these features use your internet connection, making it effectively free, unlike calls and SMS messages that use your phone network. However, Whatsapp calls and texts are end-to-end encrypted, meaning that no one can snoop on your calls or messages. Some governments aren’t too keen on this, as it means that they can’t keep tabs on their citizens. Countries like the United Arab Emirates block Whatsapp calling in an attempt to get people to use government-approved services like BOTIM and C’ME.
The good news is that it’s still possible to use Whatsapp calling in the UAE by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN allows you to pass your internet traffic through a server in another location, making it appear as if you are located in that country. This allows you to bypass local restrictions on Whatsapp calling. It also offers other benefits, including hiding your browsing activity from your ISP and allowing you to access geo-restricted streaming sites such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Not all VPNs are able to get past the UAE’s sophisticated detection systems. I’ve rounded up some of the best VPNs that are able to do so, and that can also unblock Whatsapp calling in the UAE. I’ll take a look at them in more detail below, but if you’re in a rush, here’s a brief rundown of my shortlist.
Best VPNs to use Whatsapp calling in the UAE:
- NordVPN: My top choice for Whatsapp calling in the UAE. Fast speeds, strong privacy, and good security features. There’s also a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Offers unlimited simultaneous connections, fast speeds, and can access Whatsapp and streaming services. A great value option.
- ExpressVPN: Lives up to its name with fast speeds, good privacy, and the ability to bypass VPN restrictions and unlock Whatsapp calling.
- PrivateVPN: A strong focus on privacy, PrivateVPN also offers consistently fast speeds, and can unblock Whatsapp calling in the UAE.
- IPVanish: Unmetered connections and fast speeds mean you can make Whatsapp calls on as many devices as you like all at the same time.
- Private Internet Access: Both lightweight and secure. It is also capable of unblocking services such as Whatsapp which is restricted in the UAE.
- Atlas VPN: Fast and capable of providing lag-free streams and it can also access services like Whatsapp in the UAE.
Not all VPNs are created equal – only some are able to bypass the UAE’s VPN restrictions and unblock Whatsapp calling. To help narrow down the field, I’ve used the following set of criteria to find the best VPNs for Whatsapp calling in the UAE:
- The ability to bypass VPN restrictions and unblock Whatsapp
- Fast speeds for video calling without buffering
- Robust security features including strong encryption
- Available on all major platforms
For more information about the criteria I used, make sure you check out the methodology testing section later in this article.
The best VPNs for Whatsapp calling in the UAE
Here’s my list of the best VPNs for Whatsapp calling in the UAE.
NordVPN is my number one pick for Whatsapp calling in the UAE. It has a huge range of servers, with well over 5,600 to choose from spread across 60+ countries. You can choose to use obfuscated servers that disguise your VPN usage, making it an ideal choice for using in countries with internet restrictions like the UAE.
NordVPN is able to unblock Whatsapp calling, but it can also access popular streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Its servers are very fast too, so you won’t have to worry about buffering during your Whatsapp video calls.
Naturally, this service is strong on security as well. It uses military-grade 256-bit AES encryption as standard. There’s also IPv6 and DNS leak protection, ensuring that what you’re doing online is always completely hidden, and a kill switch, which will automatically disconnect you from the network if your connection to the VPN ever drops.
The provider’s apps are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, and you can have up to six simultaneous connections or devices using the same account.
- Unblocks a wide range of services including Whatsapp
- Wide choice of servers
- Fast speeds are ideal for video calls
- Cryptocurrency payments are available
- Desktop apps aren’t perfectly designed
BEST VPN FOR WHATSAPP CALLING IN THE UAE:NordVPN is my top pick if you’re looking for a VPN for Whatsapp calling in the UAE. It has a big selection of servers, unblocks a wide range of services including Whatsapp, offers fast speeds, and keeps your data safe and secure. There’s a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is a great value choice with one big bonus feature compared to other VPNs – unlimited simultaneous connections. That means that you can have as many devices connected at once as you’d like. This is ideal if you have a large household with multiple people making Whatsapp calls at the same time.
There are more than 3,200 servers spread across 95+ countries to choose from, and Surfshark offers a “camouflage” mode that activates automatically when you use the OpenVPN protocol. This uses obfuscation to get around attempts to block VPN traffic and allows you to easily unblock Whatsapp calls, as well as popular streaming services.
Surfshark uses AES 256-bit encryption, IPv6, and DNS leak protection, and has a kill switch available on all platforms. You can also use a “Double VPN” mode to send your traffic through two different servers for an additional layer of protection. Apps are available for macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unblocks multiple services including Whatsapp
- NoBorders mode can bypass internet restrictions
- Fast speeds
- Double VPN for an added layer of protection
- Email and live chat support but no telephone option
- Servers can take some time to connect
BEST VALUE PICK:Surfshark is a great value option, especially for larger households, thanks to its unlimited simultaneous connections. It offers good speeds and can bypass VPN restrictions allowing you to access services such as Whatsapp. There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN lives up to its name by offering fast speeds that are perfect for Whatsapp video calling with no lag or buffering. It has more than 3,000 servers spread around 94+ different countries, so you should always be able to find a server located near you. It uses obfuscation to disguise VPN traffic, allowing you to use Whatsapp without being tracked.
Security is strong on the platform, thanks to the industry-standard 256-bit AES encryption that ExpressVPN uses. IPv6 leak protection is built-in and as this VPN runs its own private encrypted DNS on every server, DNS leaks aren’t possible. ExpressVPN also includes a “Network Lock” feature which is its version of a kill switch. This blocks you from inadvertently browsing unprotected when the VPN connection drops.
ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android, allowing you to share your subscription over five simultaneous connections.
- Proven no-log privacy
- Obfuscation to bypass internet restrictions
- Can unlock streaming services and Whatsapp
- Servers in almost 100 countries
- Lacks the configuration options of some rivals
- More expensive than other options
BEST VPN FOR PROVEN PRIVACY:ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy that has been tried and tested and passed with flying colors. It offers fast speeds and has strong security, and can unlock Whatsapp and streaming services. There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN may not have the same huge selection of servers as many of the other VPNs in this list, but the 200+ servers it does have are spread around 63 countries, so you should still be able to find a server near you. It has a “stealth” mode to disguise VPN traffic (similar to obfuscated modes on other providers) and it can unblock Whatsapp calling, as well as streaming services like Amazon Prime Video.
PrivateVPN has been built from the ground up with privacy in mind. It has a clear no-logs policy – the only information that is retained is the email address you use to set up your account, and your payment information. You can opt to pay by Bitcoin to keep your payment details anonymous if you’d prefer.
Its security offering is also very impressive, with AES 256-bit encryption across the board. There is IPv6 and DNS leak protection to stop some of your unprotected information from leaking out, and a kill switch if you’re using the Windows app to stop your connection completely if you lose VPN connectivity. There’s no kill switch available on other platforms, however.
You can use PrivateVPN using apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. There isn’t a dedicated Linux app, but there are clear guides to help you set up PrivateVPN on popular distributions. You can have up to 10 simultaneous connections, meaning you can share your connection across the family or with a group of your friends.
- A clear privacy focus
- Stealth mode to bypass VPN restrictions
- Good speeds
- Kill switch only available on Windows
- A modest selection of servers
IPVanish is another service that offers unmetered connections, putting it in direct competition with Surfshark. You can have as many simultaneous connections as you want, so you won’t have to stop watching Netflix while another member of your household is making a Whatsapp call.
There are over 2,000 servers to choose from in more than 75 locations. IPVanish can use obfuscation to bypass VPN restrictions, so is able to access Whatsapp calling in the UAE with ease. You should note that this feature is only available with the OpenVPN protocol, though.
The provider uses 256-bit AES encryption as standard across all platforms and offers DNS leak protection, meaning it’s able to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with more expensive, better-known providers on this list. There’s also a kill switch available for macOS, Windows, and Android to stop unprotected connections, but if you’re using an iPhone or iPad, this feature is unavailable.
There are IPVanish apps available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. There isn’t a standalone Linux app, but the IPVanish website gives a step-by-step guide for how to set it up on the most popular distributions.
- Unmetered connections ideal for larger households
- Unblocks Whatsapp and popular streaming sites
- Fast and consistent speeds
- No kill switch available on iOS
- Based in the US which is part of the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance
BEST VPN FOR MULTIPLE DEVICES:IPVanish offers unlimited simultaneous connections meaning you can have as many devices as you like using the VPN at the same time. It offers fast speeds, can unblock Whatsapp calling in the UAE, and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a lightweight option that has servers in over 80 countries. It is fast and lightweight thanks to its use of the WireGuard VPN protocol. Its apps can also be customized according to a user’s preferences. This service is also capable of unblocking services such as WhatsApp which is blocked in the UAE. In addition, it is also a good option for secure access to streaming services such as YouTube TV and Amazon Prime Video.
The provider also has strong security measures in place. These include AE 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and split tunneling. No logs are stored by this service either.
PIA also has apps in place for mobile devices such as Android and iOS devices. This is great since these devices are what people will mostly use WhatsApp on. In addition, apps are available for macOS, Linux, and Windows. The customer service team is available 24/7 via their live chat and 10 simultaneous connections are allowed.
- Strong security measures are in place
- Can provide secure access to many services
- WireGuard VPN protocol supported (fast and efficient protocol)
- Several customization options are available to users
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design is lacking in some ways
EASY-TO-USE APPS:Private Internet Access gives you the ability to customize features and app user interfaces, and is fast and lightweight. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN has over 750 servers in around 40 locations. This makes it a smaller VPN provider. Despite its small size, Atlas is a capable provider that can provide access to UAE users who want to access WhatsApp. Atlas VPN also allows access to streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
In addition, this VPN provider has strong security features including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. This service stores no logs either and can provide extra protection through MultiHop servers which encrypt your data twice.
Atlas VPN has Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS apps available. In addition. an unlimited number of connections is supported.
- Atlas can unlock many different services such as WhatsApp
- Fast connection speeds
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice
- No identifying logs are stored
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be better
FAST STREAMING AND STRONG SECURITY:Atlas VPN is capable of unblocking WhatsApp in UAE and is also a good VPN option for streaming services. In addition, double encryption is possible with MultiHop servers. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included with all subscriptions.
VyprVPN uses its own proprietary VPN protocol called Chameleon. This protocol scrambles VPN packet data to disguise the fact that you’re connecting through a VPN, offering similar advantages to other obfuscated technologies used by other providers like ExpressVPN.
This means that VyprVPN is great at bypassing VPN restrictions – it can unblock Whatsapp calling in the UAE, as well as popular video and sports streaming services. It has more than 700 servers available spread across over 70 locations.
The provider uses top-grade AES 256-bit encryption as standard. It offers DNS leak protection, and there’s a kill switch available for Windows, macOS, and Android, but it’s not currently available for the iOS app.
There are standalone apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS to connect with, however. While there’s no dedicated Linux app, the VyprVPN website provides detailed instructions on how to set up VyprVPN on the most common Linux distributions.
- The chameleon protocol can beat VPN restrictions
- Unblocks WhatsApp and streaming services
- Not a huge choice of servers
- No kill switch for iOS devices
- No option to pay by Bitcoin
USER-FRIENDLY APPS:Good for beginners. Unblocks Whatapp calling in the UAE as well as streaming services. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to use Whatsapp calling in the UAE
Trust me, it’s easy once you know how. Follow these simple steps on how to use Whatsapp calling in the UAE:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for one of the VPNs listed below (NordVPN is my top pick).
- Install the app for the device(s) you want to make Whatsapp calls on.
- Log in and connect to a server located in a country that doesn’t block Whatsapp calling, such as the US.
- Try making a Whatsapp call. If it’s not successful, try connecting to a different server. If this has no effect, contact support for your VPN and they should be able to help.
Methodology: How I found the best VPNs for UAE Whatsapp calling
Not every VPN is capable of overcoming strict Government regulations, so I’ve used the following criteria when looking at VPNs for Whatsapp calling in the UAE.
- Server selection: To remain undetected while using Whatsapp calling, you may need to move around servers. I check that the VPN has a wide selection of servers available and I also award extra points if automatic MultiHop is an option.
- Security and privacy: When using a VPN, your personal identity and information should be protected at all times. To ensure this, I expect to see a number of different security tools, including strong encryption, a network kill switch, and a no-logs policy.
- Mobile-friendly: Most of us use Whatsapp on our mobile phones, so the VPN needs to have apps available on mobile devices and operating systems. I test each product on both Android and IOS to ensure that the app works seamlessly and is suitable for beginners.
- Speeds: Slow speeds mean low-quality calls, and slow enough might even make it impossible to connect. I run speed tests to check that each VPN can handle Whatsapp calling, and only recommend the fastest.
Want to know more about how I assess VPN services? Check out my full VPN testing methodology.
Whatsapp Calling in the UAE FAQs
Can I use a free VPN for Whatsapp calling in the UAE?
There are plenty of high-quality VPNs out there, but a number of free VPNs are available, too. While you could use a free VPN for Whatsapp calling in the UAE, however, I wouldn’t recommend it.
To begin with, many free VPN providers will be unable to get past the VPN restrictions that are in place in the UAE, so will be useless for Whatsapp calling. If you’re lucky and find a provider that works, there’s no guarantee it’ll carry on working (especially once the UAE authorities block the connections).
You also need to think about the quality of the VPN provider you’re using. VPN companies all need to make money – to cover their overheads, including staffing and server costs, but also to make a profit. Where paid VPNs are funded through subscriptions, free VPNs have to make the cash elsewhere.
This may be from intrusive advertising, from selling your personal information to third parties, or by sharing your network connection with other users. Some free VPNs may even install malware to recoup costs, such as cryptocurrency miners.
All of the listed VPNs are reasonably priced and regularly have heavily discounted sales promotions – you can often pick them up for little more than the price of a cup of coffee per month. It’s a small price to pay for the peace of mind and high-quality features that they can offer.
Is it legal to use a VPN in the UAE?
Currently, it’s legal to use a VPN in the UAE. If you’re using a VPN to make Whatsapp calls, you’re not in breach of any legal regulations.
You should be very careful about what else you use the VPN for, however. Article 1 of the Federal Law No. 12/2016 in the UAE states that using a third-party IP address for the purpose of breaking the law is punishable by imprisonment and a fine of up to two million AED. This equates to more than half a million US dollars. Laws are constantly changing too, so I would always recommend that you carefully check all local laws before using a VPN in the UAE.
Note: I do not provide legal advice and nothing in this article should be considered as legal advice.
See also: Best VPNs for Etisalat
- The best VPNs for Whatsapp calling in the UAE
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. PrivateVPN
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. Private Internet Access
- 7. Atlas VPN
- 8. VyprVPN
- How to use Whatsapp calling in the UAE
- Methodology: How I found the best VPNs for UAE Whatsapp calling
- Whatsapp Calling in the UAE FAQs
- Can I use a free VPN for Whatsapp calling in the UAE?
- Is it legal to use a VPN in the UAE?