If you’ve tried to stream Showtime from anywhere outside the US, then you’ve probably realized that it’s inaccessible. Even if you already own a subscription, traveling abroad sadly means missing out on your favorite Showtime content. Fortunately, there exists a simple way to solve this challenge.
Using a reputable Virtual Private Network (VPN in short) is an easy method of circumventing the geo-restrictions Showtime places on its content. Simply put, a VPN assigns you a US IP address which then allows you to access geo-blocked services such as Showtime. A good VPN will do this whilst simultaneously safeguarding your online privacy and security.
That being said, if you’re looking to stream Showtime content, the primary concern needs to be accessing capability. A reliable streaming VPN will consistently spoof your location, making it appear as if you’re accessing Showtime from the US. It also shouldn’t impact your streaming speeds or quality significantly.
In this guide, I’ll explain to you how to watch your favorite Showtime shows using a VPN, no matter where you are on the planet. I’ll also explore some of the VPNs that work best with Showtime. However, in case you’re pressed for time, here’s a quick rundown of the top Showtime VPNs on the market.
The best VPNs for watching Showtime:
- NordVPN: The #1 VPN for streaming Showtime from anywhere. It’s an excellent choice for anyone looking for a provider with a massive server network and numerous locations in the US. Also the fastest VPN on this list. Robust security and emphasis on privacy. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. After my most recent tests, I discovered that its Standard plan, which is the cheapest, is perfect for Showtime.
- Surfshark: Provider offering the best value for money. Not only a pocket-friendly choice but also reliable, and secure. Has servers in over 100 countries worldwide although this number is growing. Impressive accessing capability without any connection limits.
- ExpressVPN: Broad server network comprising rapid servers that are optimized for HD streaming. Intuitive apps that are user-friendly, privacy-oriented, and secure.
- CyberGhost: Easy-to-use applications. A broad network of servers that are fast and highly reliable.
- PrivateVPN: Fairly new to the market compared to other VPNs on this list. Its server network is rapidly expanding and performs surprisingly well with several streaming services, including Showtime.
- IPVanish: Decent streaming speeds as well as robust security. Imposes no limits on simultaneous connections. Apps are ideal for Fire TV Stick and Kodi.
- Private Internet Access: Runs numerous servers located across roughly 80 countries. Allows unlimited device connections with zero bandwidth throttling.
- Atlas VPN: Delivers excellent speeds, making it an ideal VPN for streaming. Works well to access Showtime and other popular streaming services.
How to watch Showtime from anywhere using a VPN
Contrary to what many beginners think, signing up for and using a VPN is pretty straightforward. Provided you follow the appropriate procedure every step of the way, you’ll be streaming your favorite Showtime content in no time.
Here’s how to stream Showtime from anywhere in the world:
- Select a reputable VPN that can easily access Showtime from outside the US. My top recommendation is NordVPN.
- Log in and install the right software for your device. You can find this on the provider’s website.
- Clear the cookies on your web browser then restart your device.
- Open the VPN application and choose a server located in the US. You’ll then receive a US IP address that’ll allow you to access Showtime.
- Head to the Showtime website where you should now be able to stream all of the available content.
Best VPNs for Showtime
VPNs have recently experienced a surge in popularity that has made it challenging to identify one that suits your specific needs. As you’d expect, different providers come with varying levels of performance. To ensure I only recommend the very best VPNs for Showtime, I considered the following criteria:
- Speed and stability of service
- Massive server network size including servers located in the US
- Robust encryption standards
- Capacity to access geo-restricted content
- Ease of use
- Apps for Android and iOS
You can find out more about how I test and rate the VPNs that I recommend in the section further below. But first, let’s dive a bit deeper into the VPNs that made it onto this list.
Here are the top VPNs for streaming Showtime from outside the US:
NordVPN is the #1 pick for watching Showtime from anywhere. Not only does it have top-tier privacy and security features, but it also offers awesome performance when it comes to HD streaming. Compared to all the other providers on this list, it delivered the highest speeds during testing. The provider runs an expansive server network with more than 5,400 servers distributed across 60+ countries.
In the US alone, NordVPN operates over 1,900 servers in various locations. A stand-out feature of this VPN is that it allows users to pick a server that’s optimized to their unique requirements. Based on what you’d like to do online, for instance, HD streaming, NordVPN allows you to pick a server suited to your activity.
This is a legit zero-logs VPN, meaning it doesn’t store any user data on its servers. By strictly adhering to this no-logs policy, the company has been able to avoid having to hand over sensitive user data to the government, despite receiving official requests. Should the government attempt to physically confiscate their servers, they would still be unable to find any personally identifiable information.
What’s more, Nord also features some of the strongest encryption standards of any VPN. It employs 256-bit AES encryption as a default protocol, along with 2,048-bit keys and DNS leak protection. It has apps for iOS and Android, plus desktop support for macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- More than 1,900 servers in the United States can access nearly any service
- The fastest speeds of any VPN I’ve tested
- Stable servers suitable for HD streaming
- Robust encryption standards plus a zero logs policy to protect user privacy and security
- Apps for macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android
- Live chat support is on hand to help with anything including manual configuration
- Desktop app could become more user-friendly
BEST VPN FOR SHOWTIME:NordVPN is the #1 VPN for US streaming services, including Showtime. It offers lightning-fast speeds for HD streaming, and robust privacy and security features. Allows six device connections at a time. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee that allows for a risk-free trial.
Surfshark is an awesome budget VPN that allows you to save some cash without compromising on performance. Although it’s one of the smaller VPNs on this list, this provider has been steadily expanding its server network. It now operates over 3,200 servers spread across more than 100 countries. It is capable of streaming the most popular streaming services including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, as well as Showtime. In addition, this VPN also has a feature known as NoBorders mode which enables it to work in China.
Despite being a budget choice, this provider does not skimp on security. Surfshark features a broad range of top-notch security features, some of which are far stronger than those of its pricier competitors. To begin with, it employs perfect forward secrecy, along with 256-bit encryption. It also has a kill switch as part of all its applications, to safeguard against data leaking out of the encrypted channel. Additional offerings include automatic WiFi protection, and a double VPN.
Surfshark distinguishes itself from other VPNs by allowing an unlimited number of simultaneous device connections. This means you can secure all your devices at once with just one subscription. Apps are available for Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Works well with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Showtime
- Stores absolutely zero logs
- Places no limit on the number of simultaneous device connections allowed
- Round-the-clock live chat support
- Excellent security features
- Occasionally clocked some slow speeds during tests
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a reliable, pocket-friendly VPN. It imposes no limits on the number of devices you can protect at a time. Can easily access streaming services. Robust privacy and security features. Strict zero logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN offers rapid speeds, robust security features, and is one of the most reliable providers on the market. It runs a vast network of more than 3,000 servers that are distributed among 94+ countries worldwide. That includes several servers based in the US that are ideal for streaming Showtime. It also works great to access other streaming streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer.
This VPN has top-tier encryption standards, employing 256-bit AES-CBC protocol by default, along with perfect forward secrecy and HMAC authentication. An additional security feature of ExpressVPN is its ‘network lock.’ This is a kill switch that prevents any accidental data leakages in case you experience any unexpected downtime. When it comes to protecting user privacy, this VPN follows a strict no-logs policy.
ExpressVPN has applications for several platforms to allow users to stream Showtime on any device of their choosing. It offers desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and macOS, as well as apps for both iOS and Android.
- Servers in several American cities can access geo-restricted content from nearly anywhere
- Server speeds are great for HD streaming and fast downloads
- Top-notch security features
- Easy to use and set up with apps for several platforms
- Kill switch on the desktop app just in case your connection drops
- A bit more expensive than other VPNs
- Does not offer sufficient features for advanced VPN users
AWESOME STREAMING VPN:ExpressVPN is a great streaming VPN. It offers lightning-quick speeds and consistently accesses several popular streaming services including Showtime, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Robust privacy and security offerings including a stringent zero logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost is a VPN provider that not only offers excellent service quality but also has an incredibly user-friendly interface. This VPN boasts a massive network of over 9,000 servers that are distributed across 90+ countries. Among these, more than 1,450 are located in the US, allowing easy access to most popular streaming platforms, including Showtime.
When it comes to encryption, CyberGhost Pro utilizes 265-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol as a default standard. It also uses MD5 HMAC authentication and 2,048-bit RSA keys. As an extra security layer, the VPN also features an internet kill switch to ensure no data leaks across the tunnel.
This provider also abides by a strict zero logs policy meaning it stores no records of user activity on its servers. Another factor that enhances CyberGhost’s ability to safeguard user privacy is that it has its headquarters in Romania. This means that it falls outside the jurisdiction of any mandatory data retention laws.
It has apps for both Android and iOS, as well as desktop clients for Windows and macOS.
- Runs more than 1,450 servers in various cities within the US
- Fast streaming speeds
- Doesn’t record any user activity logs and offers robust encryption to avoid activity detection
- Apps are easy to install and use making them great for beginners
- Impressive 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t access all major streaming sites
- Doesn’t work in China
USER-FRIENDLY VPN:CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN. Fast and reliable connections plus a broad variety of servers. Great privacy, a legit zero-logs policy, along with DNS leak protection. A wide server network around the globe. 45-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is one of the smaller providers on this list. It runs a modest network of roughly 200 servers that are spread across more than 60 nations around the world, including the United States. Despite having fewer servers than its competitors, PrivateVPN more than matches them when it comes to performance. It displayed some of the fastest speeds of any VPN I’ve tested, plus it offers unlimited bandwidth. This makes it ideal for watching Showtime in HD with zero buffering, no matter where you are.
As a growing provider, this VPN strives to offer a beginner-friendly experience. Its applications are incredibly simple to set up and use, making it easy to get started and connect to your preferred servers. It’s a privacy-focused VPN that safeguards your online traffic, and enables you to completely avoid deep packet inspection to gain access to more geo-restricted content.
Other security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. The company follows a stringent no logs policy meaning it doesn’t record any user activity whatsoever. It also allows you to secure a maximum of 10 devices at a time.
Private VPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, as well as iOS. You could also opt to set it up manually if you use a Linux device.
- Quick and stable connections
- Robust security and privacy features
- Ability to access nearly all popular streaming platforms from anywhere
- Fewer servers compared to the other VPNs on this list
- Could do with round-the-clock live chat support
INCREDIBLY QUICK SERVERS:PrivateVPN clocked impressive speeds during testing, coming out as one of the fastest providers out there. Easily circumvents Showtime’s and Netflix’s geo-restrictions. Robust security. 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish is another leading Showtime VPN featuring top performance, and cutting edge security features. Because it has its headquarters in the United States, it’s understandable that some users may be skeptical about its privacy features. However, IPVanish still maintains an internal policy never storing any user data whatsoever. That goes for everything from server preferences to bandwidth consumption, and metadata associated with timestamps.
The VPN is wonderful for streaming Showtime as it can easily stream videos in HD without buffering. It runs more than 2,000 servers divided among several countries around the globe. In North America alone, the provider operates roughly 1,300 servers. Besides being able to access American sites like Showtime, IPVanish can also stream BBC iPlayer as well.
In regards to encryption, this VPN offers top-notch features such as 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol as a default standard. Additional features include SHA512 authentication, DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange, and perfect forward secrecy. With perfect forward secrecy, you never have to worry about bad actors getting their hands on your previous browsing sessions as they’ll stay encrypted even if you do suffer an attack. A useful extra security layer that comes with all packages is a kill switch.
IPVanish has apps for both Android and iOS, along with desktop clients for macOS and Windows. For users looking to use it with Kodi too, this is a smart choice, as it allows you to directly download the Android APK to their device. It also has an interface that’s compatible with remote control in case your Kodi device doesn’t have a mouse and keyboard.
- Operates around 1,300 North American servers, hence capable of accessing just about any streaming site in HD speeds
- Connections, communications, and traffic remain encrypted and private at all times
- Also works great with Kodi devices
- Strict zero-log policy
- Lacks live customer support
- Apps don’t work in China
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:IPVanish is a great family VPN as it allows multiple device connections. Simple to operate and preferred by users with higher privacy standards. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access boasts a vast network of servers, with over 50 located in the US. As such, users enjoy a broad range of servers that are capable of accessing Showtime from outside the US. You could also use it to stream other American streaming services such as Netflix US, even when you’re on vacation.
During the most recent speed tests, Private Internet Access averaged 68 Mbps. This makes it an ideal VPN for streaming high-resolution videos without any buffering or lagging. It also offers unlimited bandwidth to ensure a smooth streaming experience. To safeguard user information, this VPN implements 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
When it comes to user privacy, PIA does not keep any records of user online activity. This allows you to stream and surf the web without worrying about your private data falling into the wrong hands. Unlike any other option on this list, a single PIA subscription enables you to secure an unlimited number of devices at any given time.
Apps are available for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Linux. PIA also offers browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. However, you’ll have to perform a manual set up if you prefer to use it with suitable wireless routers.
- Servers in more than 50 locations in the US allow easy access to Showtime from anywhere
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Stores no logs of data that can be used to identify users
- Offers inconsistent speeds at times
- Cannot circumvent restrictions in China
ADVANCED CUSTOMIZATION:PIA has a massive server network spread across 80+ countries, and enables encryption-level tweaking. Also offers unlimited bandwidth, unlimited simultaneous connections, and a strict zero logs policy. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN may be a newcomer to the VPN market, but the provider has established itself as one of the top VPNs in a relatively short time. It runs a network of 750+ servers that are distributed across 42+ countries worldwide. Its servers are incredibly fast and averaged almost 250 Mbps in the most recent speed tests.
The provider doesn’t log any data that can be used to identify users. This is a highly secure VPN that employs 256-bit encryption, WireGuard support, a kill switch, and IPv6 and DNS leak protection. It also connects automatically whenever the app launches to ensure you stay protected at all times. Other unique security features include built-in tracker-blocking and a breach scanner that’ll alert you in the event of a data leak.
Atlas VPN allows an unlimited number of connections, making it an excellent choice for families and users with multiple devices. It offers apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
- Can access a broad range of streaming services
- Rapid connection speeds
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could use some improvement
WIREGUARD SUPPORT:AtlasVPN enables users to connect as many devices as they wish simultaneously. It has incredible bypassing capability and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Our testing methodology: How I found the best VPNs for Showtime
Due to the rapid increase in the popularity of VPNs, the current market is overloaded with providers. Add on the fact that user reviews are often unreliable, picking a VPN that satisfies your unique needs can be a tall order. Below is a list of some of the key factors you need to consider before choosing a VPN:
- Server network and accessing capability: I only selected VPNs that operate multiple servers in the United States. More servers in the US means it’s more likely you’ll be able to find one that can access Showtime and other American streaming services.
- Speed and stability: One of the main considerations when picking a VPN is speed, particularly if you’re looking to stream Showtime. You’ll need a VPN that is not only fast enough but also reliable, with almost no downtime. I performed extensive speed tests meaning all the VPNs on this list are ideal for HD streaming.
- Privacy and security: All the VPNs on this list adhere to strict no-logs policies. That means they don’t store any user-identifiable information. An essential security feature I always look for is virtually uncrackable AES encryption. Other features include an internet kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. As a general rule with VPNs, the tighter the security, the higher the rating.
- Cost: While a couple of the VPNs that I’ve recommended seem a bit expensive, all of the providers on this list offer great value for your money. They all provide free trials, money money-back guarantees, and allow you to secure multiple devices with just one account.
To identify the best VPNs for Showtime, I took into account all the factors mentioned above before compiling a list of the VPNs that scored highly in all areas. For more details, read the article on testing methodology.
VPNs to avoid
It’s my belief that VPN companies are morally obligated to safeguard user information at all times. Trust is a crucial component of any relationship you have with a VPN, and should not be violated under any circumstances. That’s because one of the main reasons for using a VPN is to ensure your anonymity whenever you’re online. To guarantee that your VPN has your best interests at heart, there are a couple of providers that I recommend avoiding at all costs.
Here are some VPNs that have previously proven to be uninterested in safeguarding their users’ welfare:
This is a VPN provider based in Israel that has a popular peer-to-peer extension for Chrome browsers. At its peak, HolaVPN had nearly 50 million users. However, it ended up using its own machines as pawns in a large botnet army.
This resulted in a significant portion of its users’ personal bandwidth being employed in carrying out harmful activity. This included Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, distribution of adult content, and promotion of pirated content. This was done with absolutely zero user consent.
According to media reports, an individual under investigation for cyber stalking was finally arrested after law enforcement agencies received details of their online activity. This crucial bit of evidence was provided by a popular VPN provider known as PureVPN. This happened despite the fact that the VPN claims to have a no-logs policy. However, they were still able to work together with the FBI to find Ryan Lin, a Massachusetts resident. He was accused of stalking a 24-year-old woman who was not named.
Ryan shared a flat with the alleged victim, and was accused of hacking into her Apple iCloud and Google Drive accounts, and downloading personal data. He then used the information to blackmail her. Despite signing up for a PureVPN account, he was unable to phone cover up his tracks, and law enforcement agencies were still able to track him down.
I must make it clear that Privacy.net does not condone using a VPN to violate any laws or perform morally reprehensible actions. However, I do maintain that VPNs should always be as transparent as possible with their users, and should never engage in false advertisement.
3. Free VPNs
These days, VPN popularity has seen a massive surge meaning there are more providers than ever. This may seem like a purely positive thing, especially with some providers not even asking for your credit card information when signing up. Unfortunately, such free VPNs only offer a limited range of services compared to paid services.
Some of the things that free VPNs lack include expansive server networks, robust encryption protocols, and unlimited bandwidth, which are hallmarks of paid VPNs. Flimsy encryption standards will make your connections unstable at times, and bandwidth caps will cause your video streaming to become sluggish and noticeably poorer in quality.
Always bear in mind that free VPN companies are still profit-oriented. If they can’t make money from subscriptions, they have to find some other way to raise money for server maintenance, and employee salaries, among several other running costs. Sadly, the most profitable avenue for most free VPNs is exploiting their vulnerable users.
This can be partly seen whenever you’re bombarded by countless, annoying ads from the moment you log into a free VPN. In more serious instances, free VPN providers have been known to track and sell used data to the highest bidder. What’s worse, free VPNs also place your devices at a real risk of malware infection. These are just some of the reasons why I think it’s in your best interest to simply avoid free VPNs altogether.
How to watch Showtime on any device
Besides PCs, Macbooks, iOS, and Android, Showtime is also compatible with the following devices:
- PlayStation Vue
- Amazon FireTV
These devices don’t support VPN apps by default, which means there isn’t any native software that you can just install and get the job done. To avoid this problem, we recommend setting up the VPN on a virtual router. This can be easily done since most PCs that can connect to WiFi are also capable of transmitting their wifi signals – similar to how smartphones set up mobile WiFi hotspots.
Check out the tutorials on how to set up a VPN on a virtual router – for both Windows and Mac devices.
Alternatively, if supporting firmware is available, you could set up your VPN on a physical router. One such firmware is DD-WRT, a free and open-source option that works on a wide range of router models.
How to watch Showtime online: FAQs
How much does Showtime cost?
If you sign up for Showtime directly, it will cost you $10.99 (USD) per month. However, this does come with a 30-day free trial. Another option is to watch via a third-party streaming platform such as Hulu or Prime Video Channels, where you’ll still pay a $10.99/month fee. That being said, you need to take into account the base subscription that raises the costs in such cases.
How long is Showtime’s free trial?
Showtime VPN comes with a risk-free, 30-day money-back guarantee, providing you with plenty of time to try it before making a full financial commitment. Keep in mind that this is only offered to first-time users, plus you’ll have to cancel before the 30-day trial period expires.
Is it illegal to use a VPN to access Showtime?
- How to watch Showtime from anywhere using a VPN
- Best VPNs for Showtime
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 4. PrivateVPN
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. Private Internet Access
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Our testing methodology: How I found the best VPNs for Showtime
- VPNs to avoid
- How to watch Showtime on any device
- How to watch Showtime online: FAQs