Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have the ability to see everything that you do online. In some countries, they even impose online censorship on behalf of governments. ISPs are’t the only issue, either, as streaming platforms and other online services often impose geographical restrictions. This means that if you travel outside of South Korea, you will lose access to your home subscription services. The solution? Using a VPN to get a South Korean IP address.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts all of your internet traffic and routes it through a third party server that can even be in a different country. With this, while your ISP will be able to see that you’re connected to a VPN, they won’t be able to see what you do online. This will also allow you to bypass geographic restrictions on streaming content. Not all VPNs are capable of unblocking streaming services. But I have tried and tested each VPN on this page, and they can give you a new IP address and overcome geo-blocks easily.
I have reviewed the best VPNs for getting a South Korean IP address in detail below. However, if you’re short on time, here’s a quick summary of them.
Best VPNs to get a South Korean IP address using a VPN:
- NordVPN: My top choice for getting a South Korean IP address. NordVPN has a network of more than 5,500 servers, stores zero logs, and has excellent security measures in place. On top of this NordVPN’s connection speeds are fast and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee is offered.
- Surfshark: The best budget option there is when it comes to VPNs for getting a South Korean IP address. Surfshark provides a wide array of features, including great security features and an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: Offers a vast network of servers that is well suited for streaming. Its apps are easy to use and the platform is quite secure too.
- CyberGhost: Has a server network that consists of over 8,900 servers. Its apps are also easy to use and beginner-friendly.
- PrivateVPN: This is a smaller VPN operation but it is still quite capable, offering fast connection speeds and the ability to unblock streaming services in Korea.
- IPVanish: This VPN is the preferred choice for Kodi users. It is a great option for streaming and is fast. It also offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections
- Private Internet Access: A secure, lightweight option that uses the efficient WireGuard Protocol.
- Atlas VPN: Fast and capable of providing lag-free streaming of Korean streaming services. It offers strong security options as well.
How to get a South Korean IP address using a VPN
Here’s how to get a South Korean IP address using a VPN:
- Sign up for one of the VPN services listed above. I particularly recommend using NordVPN for South Korea.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to a South Korean VPN server.
- Try visiting a geographically restricted South Korean service or website and you should be able to enjoy it without restriction.
- If you’re having issues, try clearing your cache and then refreshing the page. If this fails, contact your VPN service for further support.
Best VPN for getting a South Korean IP address
Here’s my list of the best VPNs for getting a South Korean IP address:
NordVPN has a global VPN network of over 5,500 servers, which includes more than 10 in South Korea. It offers fast connection speeds, allowing users to access their favorite South Korean streaming services without any hassle.
It also comes with advanced security features. These include 256-bit encryption, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTc leaks, and a kill switch. NordVPN also comes with a built-in ad-blocker, a malware scanner, dual VPN functionality, and Tor over VPN functionality. No logs are stored by this provider.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android. Routers can be manually configured to work with this service. The customer support offered by NordVPN is excellent and is available 24/7 through a live chat. Six simultaneous device connections are allowed.
- Fast connection speeds
- No-logs policy in place
- Excellent at unblocking various services
- Strong security measures in place
- Large server network
- Desktop apps can sometimes be slow
BEST VPN FOR GETTING A SOUTH KOREAN IP ADDRESS:NordVPN is my top choice for getting a South Korean IP address. It is a secure platform that offers fast and reliable connections. It stores no logs and also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing users to try the service without risk.
Surfshark is a great option for South Korea. With servers in over 95+ countries, it is easy to find the VPN server that you want. This server network includes servers in South Korea, meaning that you can watch your favorite Korean services with ease by using Surfshark.
Strong security measures are thankfully in place too. Security measures include 256-bit AES encryption and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Traffic scrambling is also offered. The customer support team is available 24/7 via live chat. To support anonymity, they also accept cryptocurrency. With a cryptocurrency transaction, your name isn’t shared like it is with a traditional credit card transaction.
Surfshark apps are available for Windows, Linux, and macOS. Some routers are able to have this service manually installed on them. Surfshark offers an unlimited number of connections as well, which is a great option for those with a large number of devices.
- Can unblock many different services
- Fast and reliable connections
- Strong security measures are in place
- Cryptocurrency payments are supported
- Some servers are slow at times
GREAT BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is a great budget option. In addition to being affordable, it allows users to easily unblock different South Korean TV services with ease. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
ExpressVPN is a platform that performs well when it comes to streaming applications. It provides fast connection speeds, allowing for seamless streaming of Korean TV like KBS or SBS.
Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS, IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Cryptocurrency payments are supported as well. For more anonymity, users even have the option of signing up with cryptocurrency. This increases the level of anonymity since names aren’t associated with cryptocurrency transactions.
ExpressVPN has apps available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS. Customer router firmware is also available, which is a good option for protecting all of the devices connected to your network. Customer support can be reached 24/7 via live chat. Five simultaneous device connections are allowed.
- Fast and reliable server selection
- Great for streaming, downloading, and gaming
- Unblocks most streaming platforms from abroad
- 24/7 customer support
- One of the most expensive VPNs I’ve used
FAST KOREAN SERVERS ARE AVAILABLE:ExpressVPN provides fast connection speeds and strong security. Its South Korean servers will allow you to watch the best streaming services without lag. On top of that, a 30-day money-back guarantee is offered.
CyberGhost has a very large number of servers. With over 8,900 servers, spanning 91+ countries, it’s hard to beat CyberGhost when it comes to its server selection. This server selection includes 36+ in South Korea, allowing users to watch South Korean channels such as SBS and NBS.
Strong security measures, such as protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, are in place. In addition, 256-bit AES encryption is also in place. No logs are stored and a kill switch is in place to keep your identity private in case your VPN service drops out.
Apps are available for Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Routers can also be manually set up to work with this service. Customer support is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported.
- Simple to use
- 24/7 live chat available
- Large server network (36 in South Korea)
- Strong security measures are in place
- Blocked in the UAE and China
- Can be too basic for advanced users
POWERFUL OPTION WITH THOUSANDS OF SERVERS:It’s not just the 36+ servers available in Korea that make CyberGhost an attractive option; this provider has over 8,900 servers on offer. Strong security is in place too and a 45-day money-back guarantee is offered.
PrivateVPN is a small VPN operation with just over 200 servers. Despite its small size, the quality of the service offered is excellent and connection speeds are very fast. There is a server location in South Korea, making it an effective option for Korean streaming TV services.
By default, users are protected by 256-bit AES encryption. The service also includes a kill switch and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. No logs are stored either. Users have the option to pay with Bitcoin, to ensure that their privacy is protected when paying for the PrivateVPN subscription.
Apps are available for iOS, Windows, Android, and macOS. Linux and routers can be manually configured to work with this service.
- Unblocks streaming services such as Netflix South Korea and KBC
- Fast connection speeds
- No logs are stored
- Works in China
- Smaller server network
- Customer support isn’t available 24/7
SMOOTH AND RELIABLE STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN service with fast speeds that can unblock many different services such as KBC. It’s easy to use and secure too. A 30-day money-back guarantee is offered.
IPVanish is well known within the Kodi community. It provides fast speeds for streaming and is secure as well. IPVanish has approximately four servers in South Korea too, making it a good choice for streaming South Korean TV online when abroad.
IPVanish’s security measures include 256-bit encryption, IPv6 and DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and a traffic scrambling option. No logs are stored by this provider.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire Stick, and Amazon Fire TV. It can also be manually set up on some routers and on Linux. It supports an unlimited number of connections and live chat is available 24/7.
- Unlimited number of device connections
- Fast streaming speeds
- Strong security measures in place
- Hit or miss with Netflix
- Doesn’t work in China
SECURE ALL OF YOUR DEVICES:IPVanish stores no logs, is a secure platform, and offers an unlimited number of connections. It also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a lightweight option that has servers in around 80 countries. It can unblock streaming services such as the Korean version of Netflix too. It is also quite efficient thanks to the use of the WireGuard VPN protocol. Thanks to this its speeds are also solid.
PIA’s security is strong with features offered such as AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and split tunneling. No logs are stored either.
There are apps available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. PIA’s customer service is available 24/7 via the provider’s live chat. 10 simultaneous connections are allowed.
- Strong security measures are in place
- Secure access is offered to many different streaming services
- WireGuard VPN protocol is supported
- Several customization options are available
- Doesn’t work well in China
- App design is lacking in some ways
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFECTIVE OPTION:PIA is a lightweight option that is able to provide users with secure access to many South Korean services. It is also very secure. This provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee too.
Atlas VPN has around 800 servers. Despite a lower-than-average server count, it includes servers in Singapore. Atlas VPN is fast, secure, and can unblock many different streaming services.
Its security features include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPV6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and a kill switch. No logs are stored either. This provider also offers a unique feature known as MultiHop servers that encrypt your data more than once, giving you enhanced protection.
Atlas VPN is available on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. An unlimited number of connections is supported.
- Can unblock many different streaming services
- Fast connection speeds
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice
- No identifying logs are stored
- Customer support could be improved
- Doesn’t function in China
STRONG SECURITY MEASURES IN PLACE:With servers in Singapore and strong encryption, you can use the internet freely in Singapore with Atlas VPN. Atlas VPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Testing methodology: how I found the best VPNs
There are many different VPNs on the market. However, not all of them are of high quality. I did a sound review and tested several VPNs to ensure that I found the best one for obtaining a Korean IP address. Here are some of the points I looked for when choosing:
- Having servers in South Korea: This was absolutely necessary. Without servers in Korea, even if the VPN was good, I didn’t put it on the list. The servers needed to be reliable as well.
- Security: VPNs should provide protection against entities that are likely to snoop on your internet connection such as ISPs. They also need to protect you while connected to unsecured WiFi networks. Features such as encryption and a kill switch make this possible. I made sure that the VPNs on this list had strong security features.
- Speed: The VPN should have fast enough servers to allow for smooth internet usage. This especially counts for streaming content.
- Good customer support: It isn’t uncommon to run into technical difficulties when using a VPN. Good customer support helps users to solve their problems quickly and without too much hassle. Live chat support helps users in all time zones quickly. It also helps to have a large knowledge base to ensure that users have access to support articles that are informative and that can be enough to solve their problems.
Find out more about my VPN testing methodology.
How to get a South Korean IP address FAQs
Can I get a South Korean IP address with a free VPN?
While it is possible to get a South Korean IP address with a free VPN, I don’t recommend it. Free VPNs don’t have the same server infrastructure as a paid service. For this reason, they get bogged down with too many users easily. This leads to slow connection speeds and slow streaming which can be quite frustrating. Free VPNs are also not as effective as paid VPNs at unblocking services such as Netflix.
Free VPNs also engage in questionable practices like inserting ads on the pages you visit so that they can make up for being free. Some free VPNs may even store your data and sell it to third parties. They also usually limit the amount of data that you can transfer while connected to them which means that you might not even be able to watch all of your favorite movies while connected to a free VPN.
For these reasons, I really recommend that you use a free VPN.
Can I stream South Korean TV with a VPN?
Yes. You’ll be able to since connecting to a South Korean VPN server will give you a South Korean IP address. You will be able to watch content from channels such as EBS TV, Oksusu, SBS, and TV Chosun, regardless of where you are in the world if you’re connected to a South Korean VPN server. Be aware that some services may be more difficult to unblock than others. Some services may ask you to provide a local address which could be tricky if you don’t have a residence in South Korea.
What else is a South Korean IP address good for?
In addition to streaming, having a South Korean IP address can be helpful if you live there but are travelling abroad and need to access a service such as your online banking while away. Typically when doing this, you will be alerted via email of a suspicious login attempt since you’re trying to log in from outside of the country. Connecting to a South Korean VPN server to get a corresponding IP address can help to prevent this.
Is it legal to change my IP address to a South Korean one?
VPN usage is legal in most countries. However, while using a VPN is legal, illegal activity while using a VPN is still illegal and you can be prosecuted for such actions. With that being said, note that nothing in this article should be taken as legal advice.
- How to get a South Korean IP address using a VPN
- Best VPN for getting a South Korean IP address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Testing methodology: how I found the best VPNs
- How to get a South Korean IP address FAQs
- Can I get a South Korean IP address with a free VPN?
- Can I stream South Korean TV with a VPN?
- What else is a South Korean IP address good for?
- Is it legal to change my IP address to a South Korean one?