When you’re traveling abroad, you might want to access secure German web content and sites from back home (such as banking information), or maybe you want to stream German content that might otherwise be unavailable.
In either case, the easiest way to access German content securely and get a German IP address is by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). VPN software encrypts web content so that your real IP address is hidden, which means you can make it appear as if you’re in Germany. VPN software also has the advantage of being a much more secure way to browse the web, especially if you’re looking to access private content such as banking or tax information.
Below, we’ll review some of the best VPNs for a German IP address and the steps you’ll need to take to get a German IP address from anywhere.
Best VPNs for a German IP address:
- NordVPN: This is my top choice for getting a German IP address. Service is fast and secure with a no-logs policy and it offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: A great budget VPN. One of the biggest perks of Surfshark is they allow you to install the software on multiple devices and connect all those devices at once, with no effects on speed or connectivity strength.
- ExpressVPN: Prioritizes security and is accessible and affordable, with thousands of servers around the world.
- CyberGhost: Easy to use and extremely secure. CyberGhost allows you to access many major streaming services from abroad.
- PrivateVPN: Fast and secure, with AES 256 encryption that protects you even on public WiFi connections.
- IPVanish: Has over 2,000 server locations in 75 countries and gives you over 40,000 shared IPVanish IP addresses to ensure privacy every time.
- Private Internet Access: This VPN is open-source and has a no-logs policy. Offers good security features.
- AtlasVPN: Uses SafeSwap technology to browse from more than one IP address at a time, making you even more secure.
How to get a German IP address from anywhere
If you’re not familiar with how VPN software works, we’ll walk you through the setup steps below. They may vary slightly depending on which software you choose, but there will generally be setup instructions on the VPN software site. If you need to do any additional troubleshooting during your setup, contact the VPN software customer service for support.
How to get a German IP address from anywhere:
- Sign up for the VPN software of your choice. NordVPN is my top recommendation, but any of my recommended VPNs will work.
- When you sign up, select a server location in Germany.
- Create an account for the VPN software and download it to your computer or mobile devices.
- If you’re on a computer and you have trouble connecting when you first log in, try clearing your cookies and browser cache and then restarting.
- Once you’ve connected and selected a German server location, you’ll now have a German IP address.
Best VPNs to get a German IP address
When choosing the best VPNs to get a German IP address, I took certain criteria into account.
Some of the things I considered included:
- Has multiple server locations in Germany
- Allows you to access region-locked (geo-restricted) content from anywhere
- Uses the most secure encryption protocols available
- Has software available for Android and iOS
- Has a no-logs policy
- Affordable pricing with a choice of subscription plans
For more information about the criteria I used, check out the testing methodology section further down this article.
NordVPN is my top choice for a VPN for a German IP address. You can connect up to six devices and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The provider has a variety of server types and over 5,600 server locations in 60+ countries. Its encryption standards are top-notch, as it uses 256-bit AES as well as SSL keys. It also utilizes DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection to be sure your data is not leaked. The provider has recently implemented its own WireGuard protocol called NordLynx, which allows you to connect to NordVPN’s servers faster without risking any privacy issues. There’s also Meshnet, which allows you to connect directly to devices remotely via encrypted tunnels, so it’s great for accessing files stored on remote devices or for project management.
NordVPN can be installed on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and various routers. Check the website to see if your particular router model is supported.
- Top-notch security standards
- Threat Protection hides your virtual location and conceals your IP
- Keeps no logs
- Offers a dedicated IP address
- Dark Web Monitor notifies you if any of your personal data has been leaked to the Dark Web
- Some find the OpenVPN configuration hard to set up
BEST CHOICE TO GET A GERMAN IP ADDRESS:BEST CHOICE TO GET A GERMAN IP ADDRESS NordVPN is my first choice for getting a German IP address. NordVPN hits all the right marks on security, speed, and privacy. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is a solid second choice, especially if you’re on a budget, as its prices are very low. For the price, it’s extremely fast and has many additional features for even more privacy and antivirus protection. CleanWeb blocks ads and malware, and Surfshark Search allows you to search the web without your data being tracked.
The provider has a Bypass VPN for split-tunneling as well as a Reverse Bypasser, so you can choose which sites to access through its software. This is especially useful if you’re on a site that needs to verify your identity, like an online banking account or any account with two-factor authentication. As for additional security, on top of the default 256-bit AES encryption, they use DNS and IPv6 leak protection as well as a customizable kill switch.
Similar to NordVPN, Surfshark can be configured on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and select home routers.
- Has a system-wide kill switch
- CleanWeb blocks malware
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Uses 256-bit encryption technology
- Has a no-logs policy
- The monthly plan is slightly pricey compared to other VPN software
- Some of their additional security features (such as Surfshark Alert) cost extra
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is fast and secure, meaning you watch your favorite German TV shows with ease. You can also enjoy an unlimited allowance of connections and a low price. Try it out with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is a high-speed VPN provider with more than 3,000 servers from around 94 countries including Germany, meaning it has one of the best server networks on this list. This gives the VPN strong unblocking powers for users who want to access media streaming services such as Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and more.
The provider uses the extra-speedy Lightway protocol, as well as the standard 256-bit AES encryption to keep your browsing data and personal information safe. It has a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin as one of its payment options, meaning it’s very invested in user privacy. It has server locations in 94+ countries and 24-hour customer support.
- Private DNS and no-logs policy
- Its TrustedServer technology does not write to the hard drive and data is wiped after every reboot
- Supports numerous protocols including Lightway, IKEv2, WireGuard, and OpenVPN among others
- Uses HMAC authentication, control-channel encryption, and data-channel encryption
- OpenVPN tends to be slightly slow
- Somewhat pricey compared to other VPN software
FAST AND RELIABLE STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a favorite for streaming, with plenty of high-speed servers in Germany. Its privacy features are excellent and it’s one of the best VPNs for accessing geo-restricted streaming services. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you’re new to using VPN software and are on a budget, CyberGhost has affordable plans that come with a 45-day money-back guarantee. 900+ of its 8,900+ worldwide servers are based in Germany and they’re continuously expanding server locations and availability.
CyberGhost’s security offerings include 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, an ad blocker, malware protection, and anti-tracking software.
It can be configured for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and various Smart TV, router, and game console models, as well as Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Affordable prices
- Can be configured on up to seven devices at once, including gaming consoles and Smart TVs
- Has over 8,900+ VPN servers, including servers specifically for Netflix Germany
- Also available as a Chrome or Firefox browser extension
- Depending on where you’re located, you may have issues streaming Netflix
- The macOS app doesn’t have as many features as the Windows app
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:CyberGhost is easy to use and great value for money. For an affordable price, you get fast and secure connections. It also comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN lives up to its name for sure, as it’s now its own ISP and hosting provider and has a strict no-logs policy. It doesn’t have as many server locations as other VPNs, but has servers in 63+ countries and counting, with a couple of them in Germany.
PrivateVPN users can choose between 128- and 256-bit AES encryption while browsing the web. Further security offerings include DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and perfect forward secrecy. A single subscription includes an allowance of 10 simultaneous connections.
The provider has apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. It also offers remote setup help.
- Fast speeds and offers good protection online
- Uses 256-bit AES encryption
- Protocols include OpenVPN over TCP, L2TP/IPsec, L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol), IPsec (Internet Protocol Security), PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling), and more
- Generous sign-up offers
- HD streaming is not always available
- There’s no WireGuard option
GOOD ALL-ROUNDER:PrivateVPN is a good, safe option for whatever reason you need a VPN. Delivers fast, reliable connection speeds, despite having a smaller server network. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish has apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and various routers. It also has a Chrome extension. You can connect unlimited devices to over 2,000 servers in 75+ countries. IPVanish has over 40,000 shared IP addresses, so they can’t be traced back to you.
It is a popular provider among Kodi users and torrenters because they can directly download the VPN’s Android APK directly onto their devices. Kodi users without a mouse and keyboard can set up and use the VPN with remote control. IPVanish can access several streaming platforms including those that are popular in Germany.
If you sign up for the yearly plan, you’ll have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Extensive setup guides on their website
- Has over 40,000 shared IP addresses for extra anonymity
- Available for all major operating system platforms as well as various smart devices and routers
- Unlimited device connection
- Depending on where you’re located, you might have trouble accessing Netflix
- You cannot access Amazon Prime Video or DAZN
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish is great for families with a lot of devices. Sometimes falls short in its quest to access geo-restricted content, but it’s reliably secure. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is another option for users on a budget. Not only that, but its 100% open-source software is based in the US. If your business is looking for a VPN, this provider has corporate VPN options for additional security. And if you need to run PIA VPN software on more than 10 devices, they offer bulk discounts. In addition to secure VPN software, it offers antivirus software as an add-on when you sign up.
Strong security measures are also in place with this service. It includes a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and split tunneling. In addition, it has a strict no-logs policy. PIA makes apps available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android as well. PIA has customer service that is available 24/7.
- It’s 100% open-source
- They have built-in antivirus software to remove malware
- They support WireGuard
- Split-tunneling gives you customized browsing and you can choose which sites to access via VPN
- The speeds are pretty average compared to other VPNs
- They’ve never had a third-party security audit
- Prices are somewhat high and there’s no free version or free trial
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY-TO-USE:PIA is a lightweight option that is capable of providing users with secure access to many different streaming services. It also offers strong encryption and a kill switch to keep you secure online. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
AtlasVPN is a smaller provider with just over 750 servers in around 40 locations. Despite its small size, it is a high-quality service offering fast connection speeds and strong security features. It is also adept at accessing geo-restricted services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video while you’re traveling.
The provider has many additional security features, like Tracker Blocker to stop third-party sites from tracking your data and a built-in malware blocker. With SafeSwap, you can browse from numerous rotating IP addresses at once, so your online activity will be harder to track. MultiHop+ uses a similar tactic to tunnel your VPN location from several rotating server locations. Offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- SafeSwap lets you access sites from several IP addresses at once for more security
- Tracker Blocker stops third-party sites from gathering information about your browsing habits
- MultiHop+ lets you tunnel your access through multiple VPN locations for extra privacy
- The apps can’t be customized
- You can’t stream with the free version
- The server network is smaller compared to other VPNs
FAST STREAMING SPEEDS:Atlas VPN offers fast connections and streaming speeds, with strong security measures in place as well. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for added peace of mind.
Methodology: How I picked the best VPNs to get a German IP address
Not every VPN provider is the same. Therefore, I looked at certain key criteria in order to pick the best VPNs to get a German IP address.
- Servers in Germany: I made sure that every VPN I selected had servers located in Germany (since otherwise, you can’t get a German IP address) and I also tested various streaming services, from Netflix to Hulu and more, including any services exclusive to Europe.
- Speeds: I also ran speed tests to ensure reliable speeds. Speed is important, especially if you’re going to be using your VPN in Germany for streaming or file sharing.
- Strong security features: As for security requirements, I ensured that all the VPNs I selected use, at minimum, 256-bit AES encryption. The providers must also implement a kill switch and have DNS leak protection, and should have a no-logs policy, and better yet, regular security audits.
- Good value for money: I know not everyone is able to spend a lot on VPN software and that’s why I also took pricing into consideration, as well as the ability to cancel after a 30-day trial. I also made sure the VPN software is easy to set up with fast and accessible customer support, ideally 24/7.
If you’d like to find out more information about the criteria I used, then check out my VPN testing methodology article.
How to get a German IP address FAQs
Can’t I just use a free VPN to get a German IP address?
There are numerous free VPN options out there, but in addition to being slower and possibly having unreliable connections, we don’t recommend using them, as they might make you more vulnerable to security issues. The last thing we want is for your personal data to be compromised, which is why we made security one of the biggest priorities for this list. Additionally, if you were to sign up for a free VPN service, you’d likely find that they don’t have as many server locations or as many features.
If you're on a budget, then take a look at my cheap VPN recommendations.
Why should I get a German IP address even if I don’t plan to go there?
Germany has far fewer internet restrictions and doesn’t require users to pay to browse the web. They don’t block or censor content, although some YouTube content might be blocked and it is illegal to torrent copyrighted content.
Besides A VPN, how else can I get a German IP address?
If you’re unable to use a VPN, you can use a secure encrypted browser like Tor, although their speed can be unreliable and they can be buggy for things like streaming. You could also use a proxy server, but your browsing traffic will still be unencrypted.
Are VPNs legal in Germany?
VPNs are legal in Germany and it’s also legal to change your IP address. However, this doesn’t mean you can use a VPN to obtain or access illegal content (such as torrenting). You shouldn't take anything mentioned in this article as legal advice.
- How to get a German IP address from anywhere
- Best VPNs to get a German IP address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. AtlasVPN
- Methodology: How I picked the best VPNs to get a German IP address
- How to get a German IP address FAQs
- Can’t I just use a free VPN to get a German IP address?
- Why should I get a German IP address even if I don’t plan to go there?
- Besides A VPN, how else can I get a German IP address?
- Are VPNs legal in Germany?