If you are living in or visiting Sri Lanka, you may experience restrictions on Facebook, Whatsapp, or Viber. However, there is a workaround for such restrictions.
Users have the option of using a VPN to bypass these blocks. This is possible as VPNs assign users with a new IP address which can be in a country other than Sri Lanka, meaning users can select an IP address somewhere there are no restrictions placed on these services. In addition to bypassing services, a VPN offers other benefits such as an encrypted connection to improve security.
In this article, I have reviewed the best VPNs for the job. I have done this in detail below. However, if you’re in a rush, here’s a quick summary.
Best VPNs to bypass social media blocks in Sri Lanka:
- NordVPN: My number one choice for bypassing social media blocks in Sri Lanka. It has a large server network and several security features in place. In addition, this service comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: This is a great budget option. Despite its affordability, it still is a powerful option with thousands of servers globally. It can access social media apps in Sri Lanka without hassle.
- ExpressVPN: This is a solid option with fast connection speeds and strong security measures in place.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost has a very large server network with more than 9,000 servers in place. This gives users lots of choice for connection locations.
- PrivateVPN: This is a newer service. It has a small server network but is capable of accessing many different services.
- IPVanish: Popular among Kodi users and torrenters thanks to its fast connection speeds.
- Private Internet Access: A lightweight and secure option. Now offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Atlas VPN: This is a fast, secure option that is privacy focused and capable of accessing services such as social media apps.
Here are the steps that you need to take to access social media apps in Sri Lanka:
- First, you will need to decide on a VPN provider and you will need to sign up for that service. I recommend using NordVPN.
- Next, you will need to download the app that works with the device that you will be using.
- Now log in to your VPN app with your credentials and select a server that is outside of Sri Lanka. It is recommended that you choose a Western country such as the UK, US, or Canada since there are no social media or VPN restrictions in these countries.
- After connecting to the VPN server, try accessing WhatsApp or another restricted social media app. If you are unable to successfully access the service, try clearing your device’s cache and cookies. If this still doesn’t work, then contact your VPN provider’s customer support team.
Here, I’ll walk you through the best options for VPNs that can bypass social media blocks in Sri Lanka. I made my selections based on the following:
- Fast and stable connections
- Robust security and privacy features
- Large number of server locations
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
Here’s my list of the best VPNs for bypassing social media blocks in Sri Lanka.
NordVPN has a large, global network of VPN servers that spans around 60 countries. In total, there are over 5,400 servers. This service’s fast connection speeds make it an excellent option for streaming. It can also access many different services, including various social media services. This is useful for those who may need to access these services while in Sri Lanka.
NordVPN also has strong security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware scanner, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. This service also doesn’t store any logs and accepts cryptocurrency payments. These payments don’t associate users’ names with payments, unlike traditional credit card payments.
Users can download the client apps for NordVPN for many different devices as well. This includes apps for Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, and even Linux. Some routers can have this service manually installed on them. Users have the option of connecting six of their devices simultaneously. The customer service team is available 24/7 via the provided live chat.
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures in place
- No logs are stored
- Apps are available for many different platforms
- The customer service team is available 24/7
- The desktop app can be slow at times
BEST VPN FOR BYPASSING SOCIAL MEDIA BLOCKS IN SRI LANKA:NordVPN is one of the best options available for Instagram. It has over 5,400 servers, strong security measures, and it can access a wide variety of services in addition to Instagram. It also comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is an excellent budget VPN. Although it is an affordable service, you shouldn’t take this to mean that the service offered is subpar. This VPN has servers in about 100 countries (over 3,200 servers) that are fast and secure. It is a good option for users who want to bypass blocked services.
Surfshark has robust security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and a kill switch. Traffic scrambling is also provided. Another positive aspect of this provider is its support for cryptocurrency payments. This form of payment allows for higher levels of anonymity since names aren’t associated with cryptocurrency transactions like they are with traditional credit card transactions. This service also stores no logs.
Apps are available for Linux, macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. Some routers can also have this service manually installed on them. Surfshark offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections too, which is a great option for users who have several different devices that they may need to protect. The customer service team is available 24/7 via live chat which bodes well for people in different time zones.
- Able to access many different services
- Fast connection speeds that are great for streaming
- Strong security measures are in place
- An unlimited number of connections is supported
- Cryptocurrency payments are supported which is great for increased anonymity
- Doesn’t have as many servers as a service like NordVPN
- Some servers can occasionally be slow
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is affordable but it doesn’t skimp on performance. It can handle streaming services like Netflix and Hulu without buffering and unlimited simultaneous connections are supported. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN has a network of over 3,000 servers across 94+ countries. Its server network is one of the fastest out there and is great for streaming services. In addition, ExpressVPN can access many different services, including streaming services.
This provider also ensures the safety of its users with a number of different security measures. These include 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. In addition to the regular website, there is also a .onion site which must be accessed via the anonymous TOR network. This lets users protect their anonymity since the TOR network is heavily encrypted. No logs are stored by this service.
ExpressVPN has apps available for a number of different operating systems. These include Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. In addition, this service can also be installed on some supported routers. IFive simultaneous connections are allowed and the customer support team is available 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds
- Can access many different services
- .onion site available and cryptocurrency payments are supported
- Strong security measures are in place
- A little more expensive than some other options
FAST CONNECTION SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is one of the faster VPN options available. It also has strong security measures in place and can access many different services. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has a huge number of servers. It has over 9,700 servers in around 91 countries in total.
There are also strong security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch, plus the service stores no logs. In addition, this provider accepts cryptocurrency payments, which are more anonymous than traditional credit card payments.
CyberGhost apps can be downloaded for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. Some routers can also be manually configured to work with this service. The customer support team is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported by this provider.
- Clients are easy to use
- 24/7 live chat service is provided
- Huge server network is spread across a large number of countries
- Strong security and privacy measures are in place
- Blocked in the UAE and China
- Torrenting and P2P may not work on all servers
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a very large server network. It gives users lots of different choices for getting a different IP address. It has strong security measures in place and this provider offers users a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN provider, with just over 200 servers. However, its server network is spread across 60+ countries. This means that you can access streaming services from many different countries if you’re an expat. PrivateVPN provides fast streaming and connection speeds overall and can access streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer.
PrivateVPN has robust security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption, protection from IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, and it stores no logs. On top of that, this provider accepts cryptocurrency payments for a greater level of anonymity.
Apps are provided for iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS. Linux devices and routers can be manually configured to work with this service. One thing to note is that customer service agents can only be reached during regular business hours. The quality of customer service is excellent but this could cause issues for some. Six devices can be connected on a single subscription simultaneously.
- Accesses Netflix and many other streaming sites
- Fast speeds
- No logs are stored
- Works in China
- Small server network
- Customer support isn’t available 24/7
PRIVACY-FOCUSED VPN:PrivateVPN is a privacy-focused VPN that has features such as strong encryption in place to keep you safe while online. It also provides access to a wide range of streaming platforms. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish is a fast VPN provider with a network of just under 2,000 servers in about 50 countries. This provider can also access many different services too. There are also several security measures in place with this provider.
The security measures include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There is also an included traffic scrambling option and no logs are stored by this provider.
IPVanish has apps available for several different platforms. These include Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. In addition, an unlimited number of connections is allowed and live chat support is available 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds
- Unlimited number of connections allowed
- No logs are stored
- Great option for Kodi users and torrenters
- Some servers don’t work with Netflix
- Apps don’t work in China
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish is secure and it offers fast streaming speeds. Users can also have an unlimited number of connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is fast and efficient thanks to its use of the WireGuard VPN protocol. PIA is also a lightweight option that doesn’t use many system resources. It can unblock several different services as well.
Strong security is offered by this provider, with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and split tunneling helping to keep users safe. Plus, this service stores no logs.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. PIA has customer service that is available 24/7 as well via the provided live chat and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. The provider now facilitates an unlimited amount of simultaneous connections.
- Strong security measures
- Can provide secure access to many different services
- WireGuard VPN protocol supported (faster, more efficient protocol)
- Several customization options are available
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design is lacking in some ways
LIGHTWEIGHT, EFFECTIVE OPTION:PIA is a lightweight option that is also fast and efficient. It supports an unlimited number of connections and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
AtlasVPN is a smaller provider with over 750 servers. Its network spans 40+ locations. This provider’s network is fast and secure as well, with the ability to access many different services. Atlas VPN is a newer provider but it doesn’t cut back on quality.
The provider also has a lot of security measures. These include a kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. This service stores no logs and MultiHop servers are available that can encrypt your data twice. Atlas VPN also allows users to make payments with cryptocurrency. This allows for a greater level of anonymity since names aren’t associated with this type of payment.
Atlas VPN apps can be downloaded for macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. In addition, this service supports an unlimited number of connections.
- Can access many different services
- Connection speeds are fast
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be better
FAST OPTION WITH STRONG ENCRYPTION:Atlas VPN is a newer service but it offers quality features. It provides fast speeds and strong security, such as 256-bit AES encryption and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
There are many different VPN services that are available for purchase. However, not all of them are created equally. I used my robust testing methodology to pick the best VPNs for bypassing social media blocks in Sri Lanka. Here are some of the factors that I considered when making my choices:
- Servers: The greater the number of servers the better. This gives users lots of choices when it comes to picking a location they want their VPN server to be in. This opens up a lot of possibilities for not only bypassing social media blocks in Sri Lanka but for bypassing other services, including streaming services.
- Ability to access services: Some VPN services are blacklisted by the providers are some services and aren’t able to unblock them. However, the VPNs that I picked here are ahead of the curve and can bypass these blocks.
- Security: In addition to bypassing blocks, VPNs also provide security through the encryption that they employ. Thanks to this, they offer increased protection, especially on open WiFi networks, such as those found in public places.
- Speed: Fast connection speeds are necessary for a smooth and hassle-free browsing experience. The VPNs I picked here don’t cause lag and ensure that users aren’t frustrated by slow connection speeds.
No, I don't recommend using a free VPN. FreeVPNs don't provide the same level of performance as paid VPNs. They don't have the same level of infrastructure in place and this can lead to slow connections, lag, and ultimately user frustration. On top of that, security features are also usually lacking. Some services don't even encrypt users' connections which can lead to security risks.
In addition, some free services have even been known to engage in shady activities such as selling user data for a profit. Bandwidth is also usually limited, making it impossible to do activities such as streaming.
For these reasons, it is advisable to use a reputable, paid service such as the ones reviewed here.
Are VPNs safe?
Yes, in fact, it's safer to use the internet with a VPN than without one. Using a VPN masks your IP address, ensuring that your ISP or other entities such as your school, office, or the government can't track your online activities. In addition, they encrypt your connection, giving you an extra layer of protection when using the internet. This is especially useful in situations such as when using open WiFi networks.
Are VPNs legal?
Yes, using a VPN is legal. However, using a VPN to carry out illegal activities doesn't protect you from the law. The illegal activity would still be illegal and a VPN wouldn't protect you from any possible consequences. With that being said, don’t take anything in this article as legal advice.
- How to bypass social media blocks in Sri Lanka
- Best VPNs for bypassing social media blocks in Sri Lanka
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Our Testing methodology: how I chose the best VPNs for bypassing social media in Sri Lanka
- How to bypass social media blocks in Sri Lanka FAQs
- Can I use a free VPN to access social media apps like WhatsApp in Sri Lanka?
- Are VPNs safe?
- Are VPNs legal?