NFL Game Pass is no longer available for fans in the U.S., but you can still subscribe and watch most games by using a VPN.
If your football fever is back, you can watch most games live with NFL Game Pass. As you know, NFL rules are so arcane (and sometimes arbitrary) that the network broadcasts need to have a retired official in the booth to explain the weird happenings and decisions during many games. He usually sounds like a lawyer. The rules regarding broadcasting and streaming are equally complex.
NFL Game Pass will let you live stream most games, but excluded games vary by region. If you are in the U.S., you are entirely blocked from subscribing to the service. The NFL knows you’re there because you have an IP address assigned to the U.S. NFL+, the current service for the U.S. market only lets you watch local games and replays, and only on mobile devices. You can solve those problems by using a VPN. A VPN will give you a choice of IP addresses assigned to other countries.
A VPN can also help you get the cheapest deal, because NFL Game Pass prices vary by country. The typical cost is $10/month or $80/year. Make sure the country you choose doesn’t have blackout restrictions for games you can’t bear to miss. This article will help you pick the best VPN for NFL Game Pass streaming.
You can start with this quick summary of the best VPNs for NFL Game Pass or skip to the more detailed explanations further down this article.
My best VPNs for NFL Game Pass:
- NordVPN: My top choice for use with NFL Game Pass. Very fast, vast network that accesses streaming services around the world with ease. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget premium VPN. It’s very fast, secure, and privacy-oriented. Streaming is one of its strengths.
- ExpressVPN: This premium VPN has servers in 94+ countries, very fast connections, and an excellent record of accessing streaming services.
- CyberGhost: The fastest VPN, making it ideal for streaming and watching your favorite NFL side play each week. Has very competitive prices.
- PrivateVPN: Low-priced VPN that is also great at accessing streaming services while you’re on your travels.
- IPVanish: The second fastest VPN on my list is one of the few VPNs that offer phone support. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): Has servers in all 50 U.S. states. Especially great for privacy and security.
- Atlas VPN: Bargain-priced, but full-featured VPN. Speed is among the best.
I chose VPNs that have exceptional ability to access geo-fenced content and enough speed for live HD streaming. While these two factors were arguably the most important, they weren’t the only things I considered. I will go into more detail about the criteria I used later in this article, but here is a brief explanation of the other factors I considered when selecting the best VPNs for NFL Game Pass:
- Numerous US servers
- Consistent, high-speed connections
- The ability to access NFL Game Pass and other popular platforms
- Strong encryption and high-quality security features
- Desktop and mobile apps
Best VPNs for NFL Game Pass
The following reviews explain why each of these VPNs is recommended for use with NFL Game Pass.
NordVPN is the fourth fastest VPN, according to recent tests. It works well for users in China and other countries that block VPNs. NordVPN has more than 5,600 servers throughout the world. Those assets and excellent security features make it the best all-around VPN for watching NFL Game Pass.
It can also access ESPN, FOX Sports, and other popular sports and entertainment streaming media services. NordVPN is a premium VPN service, and its prices are higher than many other VPNs, but lower than other premium VPNs, such as ExpressVPN.
As a premium VPN, NordVPN has all the standard security capabilities and more. It will block ads, pop-ups, trackers, and malware. Your team could use NordVPN on its offensive line. Additional features include split-tunneling, obfuscated servers, private DNS, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
NordVPN maintains a strict no-logs policy, which means that your privacy is completely protected. You can even register anonymously.
The provider makes easy-to-use apps for Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and macOS. The company continues to earn accolades for its tech support and customer service, allowing you to connect up to six devices at the same time on one account.
- Exceptional speed
- Works with major streaming media services
- Great privacy and security features
- Works in China
- Enables split-tunneling
- Most VPNs are cheaper
BEST VPN FOR NFL GAME PASS:NordVPN is a superb all-around VPN. It’s very fast, has extra security features, and is great for streaming. NordVPN will also give you a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is a budget premium VPN. It is the fifth fastest VPN, which is as fast as you need for streaming HD content like NFL games. Accessing streaming content is one of Surfshark’s strengths.
The provider is a relatively new VPN, but already has more than 3,200 servers in 99+ countries. It also works in China and is cheaper than all the other VPNs on this list.
Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections. That’s great if you and your family have a lot of connected devices, but be warned that many simultaneous connections will strain your bandwidth while you’re watching games.
Surfshark has a plethora of security and privacy features. It blocks ads and trackers and includes a browser plug-in that blocks those obnoxious cookie-notice pop-ups. Surfshark’s extra features include obfuscated servers and private DNS. The apps also have kill switches and a feature called “Bypasser.” Although those features sound like football strategies, they enhance your online security.
The provider’s customer support is always available via 24/7 live chat should you have any questions. A searchable support library and an FAQ section, as well as a support contact form, are also available.
- Low prices with a 24-month plan
- Very fast
- Accesses all major streaming media services
- Bonus security and privacy features
- Unlimited connections
- Users complain that Surfshark makes canceling the service too difficult
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark gives you a tremendous amount of features and benefits for a low price. It offers everything you need to use NFL Game Pass. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is the third fastest VPN and the VPN equivalent to luxury boxes. It is a premium VPN service and it has a premium price. ExpressVPN has servers in almost 100 countries, which makes it ideal for people who want to stream football games almost anywhere in the world.
The provider is very good at accessing streaming media services and countries with heavy geo-restrictions. Major VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN have the resources to quickly develop workarounds if a streaming service like NFL Game Pass becomes successful at blocking other VPNs.
ExpressVPN has outstanding security capabilities and blocks trackers. It does not keep activity or connection logs and uses its own encrypted DNS on every server. ExpressVPN makes apps for every type of device.
Customer relations are an asset. However, some privacy and security advocates are concerned that ExpressVPN is now owned by Kape Technologies, a company with a disreputable history. Despite this, ExpressVPN’s privacy and security capabilities remain on par with the best VPNs.
Price is the only major concern with ExpressVPN. The choice is like paying a fortune for Aaron Rodgers or gambling on the budget-priced Trey Lance. Connect up to five devices simultaneously.
- Very fast
- Vast server network
- Good at accessing streaming media services
- Easy to use
- Prices are much higher than average
- Owned by Kape Technologies
BEST PREMIUM VPN:ExpressVPN excels in speed, security, features, and customer service. It has servers close to most of the world’s population, so you can connect no matter where you are. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost is the Raheem Mostert of VPNs. It is the fastest VPN. Because of its speed and unblocking ability, CyberGhost is good for use with media-streaming services in general, such as NFL Game Pass, but won’t access all of them. To prevent buffering and other woes that can interfere with streaming, CyberGhost lets you use dedicated streaming servers.
The provider has a network of more than 9,000 servers in 90+ countries. If you plan to visit a country with a repressive government, be aware that CyberGhost isn’t able to access content in countries like China, UAE, or Saudi Arabia, as some of the other top VPNs are.
CyberGhost’s second-best asset is price. Its privacy and security capabilities are also solid: it blocks ads and malware, and has a kill switch, leak protection, and automatic WiFi protection. It does not log your activity.
Apps for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, and Linux are simple and easy to use. It’s a good choice for first-time VPN users for that reason.
Customer support is available in the form of 24/7 live chat, a trouble ticket submission system, and an easy-to-search knowledge base.
- Fastest speeds
- Dedicated streaming servers
- Very good price for the three-year plan
- Highly satisfied customers
- Little or no service in China or UAE
- Won’t access all streaming services
- Owned by Kape Technologies
FASTEST VPN FOR NFL GAME PASS:CyberGhost’s exceptional speed and dedicated servers make its service ideal for streaming video. Customer satisfaction is very high. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
PrivateVPN is the Tyreek Hill of VPNs: it’s small, but very fast. It’s also cheap and if you’re willing to commit to three years of service, it’s like locking up a rising star with a long-term deal.
The provider has 200+ servers and just a dozen in the U.S., but they are well-scattered among NFL cities. PrivateVPN was just acquired by a Swedish company in June. That may bode well for continued rapid growth.
PrivateVPN works with NFL Game Pass and all the other major streaming services.
It has very good security capabilities and privacy policies, but it lacks some of the extra security features that premium VPNs give you, and it has not yet adopted the WireGuard protocol.
Apps for the four major operating systems are easy to use. PrivateVPN now allows 10 simultaneous connections.
If you want speed and size, NordVPN is the D.K. Metcalf of VPNs. Where PrivateVPN shines is in customer satisfaction, and they have a reliable and friendly customer support team ready to answer any questions you may have.
- Works with all major streaming services
- Great price for the three-year plan
- Great security features
- Free trial period
- Its small size and limited number of servers will be a disadvantage for some users
- New ownership could raise prices or make other unwanted changes
RELIABLE AND SPEEDY VPN:PrivateVPN is great for streaming and is always reliable. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for added peace of mind.
IPVanish is CyberGhost’s closest rival in speed. It has worked with NFL Game Pass, but isn’t effective at overcoming VPN blocks from some of the other popular streaming media services. However, the most notable feature of IPVanish’s home page is large photos of people watching live streams of football, baseball, soccer, and boxing.
The provider’s prices are ordinary, but the VPN is now touting included protection against malware and ransomware. IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections and has also recently upgraded to the WireGuard connection protocol. That will increase both speed and security.
IPVanish operates a network of more than 2,000 servers in over 75 locations. Our higher-rated VPNs have bigger networks, but IPVanish’s network is big enough for most people to find fast connections.
Apps are minimalist and easy to use. Privacy and security are solid.
- Phone support
- Great speed
- Works with Kodi
- Doesn’t access Amazon Prime and some other popular streaming services
- Doesn’t work in China
EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT:IPVanish is very fast, easy to use, and provides exceptional support. You can simultaneously connect all your family’s devices. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is among the 10 fastest VPNs, but considerably slower than the fastest ones. Although it works with NFL Game Pass, PIA is generally less successful at overcoming geo-restricted content from streaming media sites than other VPNs.
However, PIA has two exceptional strengths. It operates servers in all 50 states, and more than 3,300 servers throughout the world. You should easily be able to get a fast connection anywhere in the U.S.
PIA’s other great virtue is exceptional privacy and security features and the ability to customize them. Privacy features include no usage logs and anonymous payment methods. RAM-only servers can’t save data, so no traces of your web use can be recorded. The MultiHop feature routes traffic through several servers at the same time. Security features include ad, tracker, and malware blocking; kill switches; split-tunneling; the WireGuard connection protocol; and private DNS.
PIA’s customer support offers a live chat option, a trouble ticket system, and a searchable support library.
- Excellent privacy and security features
- Fast enough for live HD streaming
- Servers in all 50 U.S. states
- Subpar support content on website
- Customer relations need improvement
GREAT FOR DOMESTIC TRAVELERS:Private Internet Access has servers in all 50 U.S. states. Excellent privacy and security features. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN is another newcomer that is already establishing itself as one of the best VPNs. It is also one of the cheapest.
Its speed is among the best and it works with all major streaming services, NFL Game Pass included. It’s also great for torrenting. It does not work in China.
The company was recently acquired by Nord Security, the developer of NordVPN. It has shortcomings when compared with its step-sibling, but Atlas VPN is full-featured with a no-logs policy, malware and ad blocking, WireGuard connection protocol, tracker blocking, split tunneling, a private DNS, unlimited simultaneous connections, and a kill switch.
If you’re a Titans fan, Atlas might seem like the best choice, but it is suffering growing pains. Customer service is one area that needs improvement. A big issue is that Atlas VPN makes cancellation during the trial period almost impossible. That type of issue is likely to be overcome, and the support of Nord Security should help.
- Works with all major streaming services
- Very inexpensive
- Excellent fast speeds
- Will not work with Linux, Chrome OS, or older versions of Windows (pre-Windows 10)
- Customer relations are poor
- Relatively small network
GOOD SECURITY AND PRIVACY:Atlas VPN takes your privacy online seriously and is also very affordable. You get a lot for the price, but customer relations are a concern. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for NFL Game Pass
The same criteria I would use to pick the best general VPNs apply to picking the best VPNs for NFL Game Pass. The difference is that speed, unblocking ability, and the number of server locations are weighted much more heavily. These are the key criteria:
- Performance (speed): Using a VPN will cause some amount of slowing compared to a direct connection to the internet. The best VPNs have negligible speed loss. Slower speeds can cause buffering, lag, or low-resolution video, which is especially undesirable for watching live sports. The VPNs recommended in this article are fast enough for live HD broadcasts.
- Unblocking ability: NFL Game Pass and other streaming services try to prevent VPN users from accessing it, so the ability to overcome those blocks is as important as having a good defensive line. The ability to access geo-restricted content is also essential if you want to watch games while you are in China or another country with restrictions.
- Server locations: NFL Game Pass is not available in the United States and some other countries. If you are far from a VPNs nearest server, your connection will be slower. More servers increase your chances of a fast connection.
- Security and privacy: Your internet use isn’t limited to watching NFL games. The best VPNs have a full complement of security features, including 256-bit encryption, leak protection, kill switches in all apps, and split tunneling. Many of them also block malware, ads, and trackers. Some give you even more features to enhance security and privacy. For privacy, an unequivocal no-logs policy is essential.
- Value: VPNs constantly run promotions and try to make their prices difficult to compare with their competitors. I do the math and understand the market, so I know the difference between good and bad deals.
- Customer relations: Tech support, customer service, responsiveness, good websites, and communication methods are all a big deal. You must be able to get the help you need and get your problems solved. I evaluate all those factors and read user reviews to compare how VPNs treat their customers.
You can find out even more information about the testing methodology I use here.
How do I access NFL Game Pass with a VPN?
Follow these simple steps to access NFL Game Pass with a VPN:
- Sign up for NordVPN or one of the other VPNs recommended in this article.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN software for your operating system (Windows, Android, etc.)
- Using the VPN, connect to a server in the virtual country you plan to use for NFL Game Pass.
- Sign up for NFL Game Pass from that virtual country.
- Log in to NFL Game Pass and test it. If it works, you’re set for the rest of the season. If not, try connecting from another server location.
NFL Streaming Game Pass FAQs
Can I watch NFL Game Pass with a free VPN?
Some free VPNs do allow you to access streaming services, but free VPNs are generally too slow for streaming. Some limit you to very low-quality video and allow too many users per server, which causes traffic jams with slowing.
Free VPNs also pose a bunch of security risks. Many track you and sell your information, financing the service by infecting your devices with malware.
If you’re going through the expense of paying for NFL Game Pass, the ability to watch games without buffering or periodic connection drops is worth a little more of your money. That is why I recommend you choose one of the VPNs from my list. You can also find out more information about my other cheap VPN alternatives.
When are the big games?
With the expanded regular season, the games don’t end until January 8, 2023. The playoffs start the following Saturday, January 14. Super Bowl LVII will be played on February 12 in Arizona.
What can you watch with NFL Game Pass?
In addition to the regular and postseason games that are available for the location you chose, you can watch replays, NFL RedZone, and the 24-hour channel, NFL Network. You can also watch Good Morning Football, NFL Total Access, Hard Knocks, and A Football Life.
Would “The Surfsharks” be a great name for an NFL team in Hawaii?
Yes, and when the old Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, the person who suggested renaming the team “The Dueling Banjos” had a much better idea than whoever settled on calling them the Titans.
- Best VPNs for NFL Game Pass
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for NFL Game Pass
- How do I access NFL Game Pass with a VPN?
- NFL Streaming Game Pass FAQs
- Can I watch NFL Game Pass with a free VPN?
- When are the big games?
- What can you watch with NFL Game Pass?
- Would “The Surfsharks” be a great name for an NFL team in Hawaii?