If you’ve tried to access Sling TV from outside the States, then you’ve probably felt the frustration of receiving an error message. This is particularly disappointing for anyone looking to watch live TV without cable access.
Unfortunately, Sling TV content is geo-locked anywhere outside the United States. That remains the case even if you already signed up for Sling TV in the US but would like to keep up with all your favorite shows while on vacation overseas. The simplest and most reliable way to avoid these geo geo-restrictions is by signing up with a reputable VPN provider.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts all the traffic flowing into and out of your device and tunnels it through an intermediary server of your choosing. Simply put, a VPN hides your true physical address by switching it to a different location. At the same time, a reliable VPN will reduce the likelihood of surveillance agencies, ISPs, and hackers snooping on your online activity.
In case you don’t have the time to read through this article in detail, here’s a quick rundown.
The best VPNs for safely streaming Sling TV from anywhere:
- NordVPN: My #1 choice VPN for Sling TV. Unmatched speeds and highly suited to streaming Sling TV. Best-in-class security and privacy features. Intuitive, beginner-friendly apps for most platforms. Also includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget pick for watching Sling TV. Easily bypasses geo-blocks and provides robust security. Allows for unlimited device connections.
- ExpressVPN: Fast and reliable servers for Sling TV as well as a host of other major streaming services. Great emphasis on user privacy and security.
- CyberGhost: Achieved some of the quickest streaming speeds during tests. A great all-rounder and ideal for beginner VPN users looking to access Sling TV.
- PrivateVPN: Servers in a dozen US cities. Fast, unthrottled connections and powerful unblocking. Privacy protection due to its genuine no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Displayed decent performance in terms of speed and streaming reliability. Secure and favored by Kodi users. Allows unlimited simultaneous device connections.
- Private Internet Access: Expansive server network with reliable speeds and stable connectivity. Zero logs VPN with a 10 simultaneous device limit.
- Atlas VPN: Speedy, secure, and protects all your devices simultaneously. Ideal for streaming and Sling TV.
As VPNs grow in popularity, there’s certainly no shortage of providers out there. However, it’s crucial to keep in mind that they don’t all deliver the same quality of service.
To identify the best VPNs for watching Sling TV from anywhere, I considered the following criteria:
- Speed and stability of service
- A large number of server locations in the US
- Strong encryption standards
- Ability to access restricted content
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
Would you like to learn more about how I test and rank VPNs? If you’ve answered yes, then check out the VPN testing methodology article. But for now, let’s take a closer look at the VPNs that made it onto this list.
The best VPNs for Sling TV
In this quick guide, I highlight the key features of the top-rated VPNs for streaming Sling TV. However, if you’d like to read more detailed reviews, you can begin with NordVPN – the #1 choice for unblocking Sling TV from anywhere.
Here’s a list of the best VPNs for Sling TV:
NordVPN is our #1 pick for streaming Sling TV securely from outside the US. For more than a decade, this provider has been delivering a reliable VPN service to its vast user base. It comfortably accesses several major streaming sites including Sling TV, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu.
During recent tests, NordVPN clocked faster speeds than most of its competitors on this list. It’s also a strict no-logs VPN, meaning it doesn’t store any information regarding user sessions, traffic, or timestamps. This VPN boasts more than 5,500 servers in over 60 countries. In the United States alone, it runs over 1,900 servers. It also allows you to pick one for unique tasks like torrenting or streaming. That’s because it’s one of the few VPN providers that classify its servers based on their specialties.
NordVPN deploys top-tier encryption standards that include 256-bit AES protocol by default along with 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection is also included.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS mobile devices, as well as desktop support for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Over 1,900 servers in the US can safely access Sling TV and other major streaming services
- Lightning speeds for HD streaming
- High-grade security and privacy protection
- Easy-to-use apps for all major platforms
- Servers customized for specific use
- Customer service is available through 24/7 live chat
- The desktop app works fine but could use an update
BEST VPN FOR SLING TV:NordVPN is my top pick for watching Sling TV. Manages impressive speeds and can comfortably access Sling TV as well as most major streaming platforms. Connects up to six devices at once and is risk-free thanks to its generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is a top-tier VPN that comes at a budget-friendly price. It runs a growing network of roughly 3,200 servers that are spread across more than 100 countries.
Surfshark can comfortably access Sling TV along with the most popular streaming platforms. That includes multiple Netflix libraries, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video. It also provides robust security features including 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, protection against leaks, perfect forward secrecy, and a no-logs policy. Additional security such as split tunneling and automatic WiFi protection are offered as well.
There’s no connection limit, meaning users are allowed to secure as many devices as they wish with just one subscription. Apps are available for Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Servers in 100+ countries
- Excellent for Sling TV and other popular streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer
- Stores no logs at all
- Round-the-clock live chat support
- Treats privacy and security as a major priority
- Can be slow at times
BEST BUDGET SLING TV VPN:Unlimited number of connections allowed. Incredibly affordable, especially taking into account the numerous advanced features that are available. Genuine zero logs policy. Beginner friendly. Free Smart DNS service. 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN brings together great design and robust encryption protocols to create a fast, secure, and reliable VPN service. For starters, setting it up is fairly straightforward and once it gets going, you can expect very limited downtime.
ExpressVPN operates more than 3,200 servers in a network that spans 95+ countries. Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, and several other streaming sites work seamlessly with this VPN.
It employs 256-bit AES-CBC as its default encryption protocol, along with both perfect forward secrecy and HMAC authentication. ExpressVPN keeps no records of user information and also includes an internet kill switch, although it’s labeled as a ‘network lock.’
It has apps for both iOS and Android, which enable users to access Sling TV safely on their phones from anywhere in the world. It also offers desktop support for macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- Servers in 20+ US cities
- Works with Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Speeds are good for HD streaming and fast downloads
- Top-notch encryption, security, and privacy features are standard
- 24/7 live chat support
- Slightly more costly compared to competing services
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
SUPER FAST AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is a reputable VPN that works great with several popular streaming services including Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Well suited for HD streaming. Robust security and privacy features and a strict zero-log policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost boasts a massive server network that comprises more than 9,000 servers, including over 1,300 that are based in the US. With such a broad range of US-based server options, it’s incredibly easy to access Sling TV with this VPN. What’s more, this provider has servers that are specifically customized for accessing major streaming services.
It adheres to a strict zero-log policy to maintain user privacy and anonymity online. A unique bonus feature of this VPN is that it has its headquarters in Romania. This means it doesn’t have to comply with mandatory data retention laws as it falls outside the jurisdiction of Western authorities.
When it comes to encryption standards, it implements 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol as its default. This is combined with 2,048-bit RSA keys, MD5 HMAC authentication, as well as an internet kill switch.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS. Desktop support for Linux, Windows, and macOS is also included.
- Huge global server network, with more than 1,300 servers in the US
- Beginner-friendly choice with easy-to-use apps
- Blistering streaming and downloading speeds
- Impressive 45-day money-back guarantee
- The lack of advanced configuration options may frustrate power users
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
BEGINNERS' CHOICE:CyberGhost is an incredibly user-friendly VPN. An excellent, reliable choice for beginner VPN users. Works with Sling TV although it may struggle with other popular streaming sites. Keen on privacy. Easily streams HD video. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Private VPN is one of the smaller VPNs on this list. However, it still boasts a respectable server network spanning 60+ countries, and a dozen US cities. It delivers sufficient speed for high-quality streaming and does not throttle your bandwidth.
Private VPN follows a genuine zero logs policy, meaning users never have to worry about their sensitive data ending up in the wrong hands. It routes all user traffic via a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel, offers protection from DNS leaks, and features a kill switch.
It allows a maximum of 10 devices to be connected at the same time. Unlike some VPNs, PrivateVPN also accepts payment in Bitcoin for even greater anonymity.
This VPN offers apps for both Windows and macOS. Mobile apps for Android and iOS are available along with Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, you could use PrivateVPN with Linux and compatible WiFi routers, but you’ll have to perform a manual setup.
- Plenty of US servers for accessing Sling TV from abroad
- Protects your privacy with its strict no-logs policy
- Allows you to connect up to 10 devices on a single account
- A smaller network of servers (just over 200 in total)
- No browser extensions are available
TOP NOTCH SECURITY:Easily allows secure access to HD content. PrivateVPN also has a strict no-logs policy and works seamlessly with Sling TV. Also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish is a US-based VPN provider that runs more than 2,000 servers, distributed across 75 locations around the world. Since 1,000+ of its servers are located in the US, streaming Sling TV is hassle-free. What’s more, this provider offers specialized servers that are designed for optimal streaming speed, security, and reliability.
Although IPVanish generally doesn’t store user information, it makes a slight exception when registering an account for the first time. However, once a user has signed up, it keeps no records of server preferences, timestamps, or utilized bandwidth.
IPVanish displays decent performance when it comes to bypassing geo-restrictions thanks to servers that are optimized for speed, safety, and stability. Encryption standards include 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange.
Perfect forward secrecy ensures that even if your account becomes compromised, any potential snoopers would be unable to access data from previous web sessions. As an added security layer, this VPN also features a kill switch.
It has apps for both iOS and Android, as well as desktop support for Windows and macOS.
- With over 1,000 US servers, it can access almost any streaming site in HD speeds
- A standout favorite among Fire TV Stick and Kodi remote control users
- Allows you to connect all of your devices at once
- Top-notch security and privacy features
- Claims round the clock support, yet tickets typically take a day or two
- Unable to access as many streaming sites as its competitors
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:IPVanish is a great family VPN as it allows multiple device connections. Easily accesses Sling TV but struggles with other streaming services. Simple to operate and preferred by users with higher privacy standards. Risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access runs a massive network of 3,300+ servers that are spread across 80+ different locations around the world. It ensures user data remains private by implementing high-grade 256-bit AES encryption, shielding user browsing activity, downloads, and streaming from ISPs.
Private Internet Access supports unlimited simultaneous device connections. This is more than enough to secure all your devices under one PIA subscription.
Since this is a genuine zero-log VPN, it does not keep records of any online activities carried out while you’re connected to its servers. PIA apps are available for both Android and iOS, while desktop support is included for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Runs an expansive server network
- Generous connection limit
- Robust encryption for safe and private connections
- Streaming speeds are unpredictable at times
- Unable to access some major streaming platforms
EASY TO USE:Private Internet Access has intuitive, user-friendly applications. Easily streams Sling TV and most major streaming services. Performed decently during testing. Slightly expensive. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN operates over 750 servers in a network that spans across more than 45 countries. While this is no doubt a modest server count, this VPN is still able to access Sling TV safely and reliably, with almost zero buffering.
It also doesn’t skimp on security features despite being a smaller provider. It incorporates a kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. It also doesn’t store any logs of user activity and has MultiHop servers to encrypt user data twice as an extra security measure.
Atlas VPN has apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. It also provides an unlimited number of connections.
- Comfortably accesses various popular streaming services
- Rapid connection speeds
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be better
FAST STREAMING AND STRONG SECURITY:Atlas VPN offers robust security features and rapid connections. Its apps are compatible with all major operating systems. No limits on simultaneous device connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Testing methodology for the best VPNs for Sling TV
Privacy.net ranks VPNs using multiple empirical tests and first-hand user experiences when performing day-to-day activities like web browsing, streaming, and torrenting. I compiled this list of the best VPNs for Sling TV based on the following criteria:
- Ability to bypass geo-restrictions: A reliable VPN must be able to consistently bypass geo-restrictions. It should be able to access several major streaming services, such as Sling TV, Max, ESPN+, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video from anywhere in the world.
- Speed: I only recommend VPNs with almost zero to no lag or buffering. We test each VPN’s download speeds by checking how it performs when connected to servers in different locations.
- Privacy and security: It must have a strict no-logs policy. It should not keep any user data or record your online dating activity.
- Ease of use: The VPN must have apps that are compatible with all the popular operating systems.
- Value for money: Each of the providers I’ve listed offers deals with significant discounts for longer subscriptions. They all have risk-free money-back guarantees.
However, this is a condensed version of a meticulous process. To learn more about our methodology, read on how I test VPNs.
How to use a VPN to stream Sling TV abroad
Getting started with a reputable Sling TV VPN is not as complicated as some may imagine. It’s quite straightforward if you follow the simple steps below.
Here’s how to watch Sling TV from anywhere:
- Sign up for a Virtual Private Network (VPN). I recommend NordVPN.
- Register for the service and download the VPN software or app.
- Log in to your VPN and connect to a server in the US. You’ll receive the US IP address you need to circumvent Sling TV’s geo-restrictions.
- Try playing a video on the Sling TV website. You should now be able to watch Sling TV from anywhere. Should you encounter any challenges, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies then try again.
Watching Sling TV with a VPN: FAQs
Should I use a free VPN to unblock Sling TV?
No. It’s nearly impossible to find a free VPN that can stream Sling TV safely and reliably. The primary reason for this is that free providers simply lack the resources needed to circumvent Sling TV’s geo-restrictions. They also don’t have enough servers for smooth streaming.
Worse still, most free VPNs come with a plethora of inherent risks. Aside from having weak encryption standards, some go as far as mining and selling user data to turn a profit. They’re also known for injecting tracking cookies into web browsers and inserting invasive ads into web pages.
That said, I do recognize that free VPN providers may seem like an attractive option. Apart from not charging you for their service, most of them don’t ask for your credit card credentials when signing up. However, after weighing the pros and cons, I strongly suggest staying away from free VPNs.
What do I do next after signing up for a VPN?
To start watching Sling TV on your Mac, PC, or phone, you’ll simply need to sign up for a VPN, log in to the companion app or desktop client, and connect to a server in the US. However, before carrying out any of these steps, I suggest clearing your cookies to remove all your old location identifiers.
Sling TV is also compatible with the following devices:
- Amazon FireTV
- iOS devices
- Android devices
- Mac OS
- Some smart TVs
You’ll need a virtual router to set all these devices up. That’s because they aren’t equipped with built-in support for VPN apps and lack the necessary native software. This shouldn’t be too complicated as most PCs that can connect to WiFi can also broadcast their WiFi signals. It works similarly to setting up a WiFi hotspot on your smartphone.
On the other hand, a physical router could work just as well, provided the firmware supports VPNs. An excellent example of VPN-compatible firmware is DD-WRT, a free and open-source choice that works on a broad range of router models.
What should I do if I still get an error message even with a VPN?
In case you’re still receiving an error message after you’ve signed up with a reputable VPN, you can try a couple of potential fixes. For starters, you could double-check to confirm that you’re connected to a US-based server. This is essential for accessing Sling TV from outside the US.
You may also have to clear the cookies on your browser so that Sling TV no longer has records of your physical location. Performing this step first will allow Sling TV to accept your newly assigned IP address. If this fails, it could indicate that your chosen server has been blacklisted, in which case you’ll need to connect to a different server in the US.
If nothing works, just get in touch with your VPN provider’s customer support for professional help.
Can I subscribe to Sling TV outside the US?
Yes. You can subscribe to Sling TV from outside the US. However, payments via credit card would be impossible if you don’t have an American credit card. A possible solution to this would be purchasing Sling TV gift cards that are available online.
Ensure you’re connected to your VPN’s US-based server before heading to the PayPal gift card store. Look up Sling TV gift card and pay through PayPal. It should show up on your email after which you’re free to redeem it on Sling TV. A US billing address will be requested, but purely for tax purposes. Any US address should do the trick.
Can I watch live sports and bypass regional blackouts with Sling TV?
A regional blackout is a scenario in which a live sports event is only available in specific states in the US. Different broadcasting agreements for every game are usually the reason for this.
In such cases, whoever owns the rights to the content gets to pick the ‘blackout region.’ Unfortunately for fans, it’s typically the regions closest to the teams involved as well as their corresponding IP addresses. For instance, let’s say you support the Chicago Cubs, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to livestream home games.
To avoid this problem, simply sign up with a reputable VPN provider and connect to a server that is located outside the blackout region.