There are several online streaming services out there which include even channels that were once limited to traditional cable services such as ESPN and HBO. The issue with many of these online services, however, is that some of them tend to be restricted to specific geographic areas. This means that viewers outside of this area are unable to view content. However, with a VPN for TV abroad, viewers can connect to a server in their home country and watch the platform like they would at home while travelling abroad.
VPNs also offer security benefits such as protection from hackers when using open WiFi networks. VPNs also help users to stay anonymous online, masking their presence from ISPs and governments that may want to track their internet activity.
If you wish to stream online TV while abroad, you will need a fast, secure connection that gives you the option of bypassing geographical restrictions. Below, I have taken this into consideration and reviewed the best 7 VPNs for TV abroad. Here’s a summary:
- NordVPN: NordVPN is my top VPN for watching TV online while abroad. It has strong security measures in place, offers fast connection speeds and has a vast network of over 5,000 servers. This makes it easy to connect to servers in several different countries depending on your needs. Nord VPN is an excellent option for TV and even general internet use. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Surfshark is the best budget option I found. It offers strong security and is affordable. On top of that, It can unblock many different services and offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Support is offered 24/7.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN is an excellent choice if you stream a lot. It has a network of fast servers in 94 countries that is suitable for many different streaming services.
- CyberGhost: In terms of the sheer number of servers available, none of the other options on this list can match CyberGhost. This gives users the ability to be able to choose from a wide variety of servers from many different locations.
- PrivateVPN: PrivateVPN may not have a large server offering, but it is a secure platform which offers fast server speeds and the ability to unblock many different streaming services.
- AtlasVPN: AtlasVPN is a newer VPN offering. However, it has over 700 high quality servers that are good options for streaming TV services while abroad.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): PIA is lightweight and allows for extensive user customization. It is a secure platform but can be lacking in speed sometimes and doesn’t work in some countries, like China.
The Best 7 VPNs for TV Abroad
When choosing a VPN for TV abroad, you should consider a few factors before making a choice. Security is important and your choice should ideally be able to unblock streaming services since you will likely need this feature. Here are some other things to look at:
- Servers in many different countries including your home country. This lets users access streaming services that may be geographically restricted.
- Fast speeds are a must. Without fast speeds, watching TV online can be painful.
- Strong security measures such as encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch
- Good customer support
- No storage of any personally identifiable information
- A money-back guarantee
Here’s my list of the best VPNs for TV abroad:
NordVPN has servers in 60 countries. Its network of more than 5,500 servers is ideal for streaming TV abroad. It also provides greater privacy while online.
NordVPN doesn’t skimp on security and offers strong security measures such as 256-bit AES encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware scanner, and even protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. This service also doesn’t store logs, ensuring that users’ data is kept safe and isn’t shared with any third parties.
There is apps are available for macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android. Routers and Linux devices can be manually configured to work with this service. Six simultaneous connections can be maintained and the customer support team is reachable 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures in place
- No logs
- Apps are available for many devices
- Customer support available 24/7
- The desktop app can be slow at times
BEST VPN FOR TV ABROAD:NordVPN is my number one choice for streaming TV while abroad. With its large and fast server network, users don’t have trouble finding the servers that they need to access their favorite streaming services while abroad. In addition, the customer service is great and a 30-day money back guarantee is provided.
Surfshark offers users a great deal when it comes to pricing. Even with such affordable pricing, the quality of service offered is still quite high. This service’s servers are fast and secure. In total, Surfshark offers over 3200 servers in 65 countries. This is a good option for those who may want to access TV services from their home country. This large number of servers ensures that users are able to find a server in their home country.
Security measures such as 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks are provided as well as traffic scrambling. Personally identifiable information is not stored, and, to ensure higher levels of anonymity, cryptocurrency payments are available. With credit/debit card payments, your name is attached to your credit card whereas with a cryptocurrency wallet, no name is attached. Customer service is available 24/7 via a live chat too.
There are apps available for Linux, Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. Some routers can also have this service manually installed on them. Surfshark stands out by offering users an unlimited number of VPN connections simultaneously which is a great option for households that have a large number of devices.
- Can unblock many different services
- Fast connections
- Strong security
- Unlimited connections
- Customer service could be improved
BUDGET CHOICE FOR TV ABROAD:Surfshark is an affordable and secure choice which is capable of providing speeds fast enough for streaming. This service also offers an unlimited number of connections which is a neat option. A 30-day money-back guarantee is offered with this service.
ExpressVPN is known for its streaming prowess. It has a fast network made up of over 3,000 servers which is perfect for streaming applications such as Netflix and online TV services. Its interface is also easy to navigate and quite approachable which is ideal for beginners.
ExpressVPN prioritizes security as well. There are several security measures in place including 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. In order to assist with security even further, there is also a .onion site which can be accessed over the anonymous TOR network. Users can also pay with cryptocurrency, ensuring increased anonymity since their name isn’t linked to their cryptocurrency wallet as it is with a credit card. No personally identifiable information is stored by ExpressVPN but some information such as server choice, total bandwidth used, and date is stored.
Apps for ExpressVPN can be downloaded for iOS, Android, macOS, Linux, and Windows. It can also be installed on supported routers. Five simultaneous connections are supported by this provider. Customer support is available 24/7 as well.
- Fast speeds
- Unblocks several services
- .onion site and cryptocurrency for increased anonymity
- Strong security measures are in place
- An expensive option
- Not easy to customize
GREAT OPTION FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a solid option when it comes to streaming. It lets users enjoy their online TV without buffering and can unblock services like Netflix. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has the largest number of servers out of all of the providers reviewed here. With this many servers, it’s easy to unblock services and it’s also straightforward to find a server that works for TV services from your home locale.
CyberGhost has strong security in place which includes protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks as well as 256-bit AES encryption. CyberGhost stores no logs either. A kill switch is also included which is intended to stop your IP address from being leaked if your VPN connection suddenly drops out.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Some routers can be manually set up with this service too. Customer support is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported.
- Simple to use
- 24/7 live chat available
- Large server network
- Strong security
- Blocked in the UAE and China
EFFECTIVE STREAMING WITH LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost server network covers many different countries and cities, making it easy to get an IP address in the locale of your choice. CyberGhost is also easy to use and even offers 24/7 live chat support. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included with subscriptions.
PrivateVPN offers only around 200 servers, but it is a fast and reliable option. It is capable of accessing streaming services such as Netflix and employs strong security.
This provider offers 256-bit AES encryption and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. No personally identifiable information is stored and payments are accepted via cryptocurrency. This ensures that the privacy of PrivateVPN’s customers is protected and that no unnecessary information is stored or divulged.
There are apps available for Windows, macOS, iOS mobile devices, and Android devices. Linux systems and routers can be manually configured to work with this service. Unfortunately, live chat isn’t supported by this provider. The support team is only available during regular business hours. With that being said, when they are available, they provide quality support and can remotely access your computer and help you to set up the PrivateVPN VPN client if you give them permission to do so. You‘re able to connect up to 10 devices at once with this service.
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security
- Easy-to-use apps
- Can unblock many services
- Customer support only available during regular business hours
- Small server network
SECURE PLATFORM FOR TV ABROAD:Privacy and security are in the DNA of PrivateVPN. Its small network of servers is fast and safe and can allow for effective streaming of TV services from a user’s home locale even when abroad. PrivateVPN subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN has 750+ servers in 40 locations. While it is a newer VPN provider, it still manages to provide quality service. Its connection speeds are fast and it is capable of unblocking services such as Prime Video and BBC iPlayer.
Atlas VPN also offers strong security. In fact, they offer 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. No logs are stored with this service.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. An unlimited number of connections is also supported.
- Can unblock many services
- Strong security in place
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No identifying logs kept
- Doesn’t function in China
- Customer service could be better
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS WHILE ABROAD:if you need to access TV services from your home locale while abroad on all of your devices then Atlas VPN is a great option for you since it has fast enough speeds for streaming and it supports an unlimited number of connections. Moreover, subscriptions to this service also come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a lightweight and secure option for watching TV while abroad. In addition, it has over 3000 servers in 42 countries. This leaves you with a variety of choice when it comes to choosing where you want your IP address to be from.
PIA users should expect strong privacy and security, since this VPN provides features such as AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and split tunnelling. There is also a dedicated IP address addon that can be downloaded if desired. No logs are stored by this provider.
Five simultaneous connections can be made and apps are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Strong security
- No logs are stored
- Some servers can be slow
- Doesn’t work well with Netflix
GOOD OPTION FOR STREAMING TV ABROAD:PIA has a large number of servers available and offers strong security. This combination makes it a strong choice for streaming TV while abroad.
Methodology: How I find best VPNs for TV while abroad
There are many different VPN services available on the market. However, not all of them were created equal. In this article, I reviewed many different VPNs in order to arrive at the final list. Here are some factors I considered when making my choice of the best VPNs for TV abroad:
- Servers: VPNs must have a strong server network in order to stream and watch online TV effectively. The servers must be fast and reliable ensuring that they are always available and fast enough to support smooth streaming.
- Ability to unblock services: You will need a server that matches the location where your subscription is valid in order to unblock streaming TV services while abroad.
- Security: VPNs can provide protection against hackers on open WiFi networks and also mask your presence online. This provides users with the confidence to carry out their regular vPN activities even when abroad.
- Speed: Speed is important for streaming. Without it, streaming becomes impractical.
Want to know more about what I look for in VPN services? Check out my full VPN testing methodology.
VPNs for TV abroad FAQs
Can I use a free VPN instead of paying for one?
While a free VPN may seem enticing, typically, they don’t give you the same performance as paid VPNs. Free VPNs simply have fewer servers and fewer resources than the paid options. This makes it impossible for them to reliably provide users with consistently fast speeds. In addition, free VPNs have been known to engage in unscrupulous practices such as leaking users’ data. Many free VPNs also impose daily limits that prevent you from streaming a significant amount of data daily.
Free VPNs also have several issues with services like Netflix. If you want to watch your home Netflix library while abroad, a free VPN probably wouldn’t work for you. This is because companies like Netflix are constantly on the lookout for methods of bypassing their geographic restrictions. They are probably aware of all of the free VPNs and have blocked them already.
Is using a VPN legal?
Yes, VPN use is legal. However, using a VPN does not preclude you from following the law. Use f a VPN will not protect you if you choose to do something illegal online. With that being said, nothing in this article should be taken as legal advice.
Is using a VPN safe?
Yes, using a VPN is safe. Using a VPN is safer than browsing without one since with a VPN your identity will be masked since you will have a different IP address. Your ISP won’t know what you’re doing and you will be away from any possible prying eyes on open WiFi networks. Choose a reputable VPN that has strong security standards and you will be protected anytime you’re online and connected to one of their servers.