AT&T TV Now is a video streaming service region-locked to the United States. If you are traveling outside of the US and want to access AT&T TV Now or any of your other usual home streaming services you will need a VPN.
A VPN, or a “Virtual Private Network”, is a privacy tool designed to encrypt your internet traffic and route it through a server located somewhere else in the world. In the case of AT&T TV Now, you will have to select a server with an IP address located in the United States in order to lift the geo-blocking restrictions. When your traffic is routed through a US server, websites and online services will believe you are watching from inside the US.
How to watch AT&T TV Now outside the US with a VPN
If you’ve never used a VPN before, don’t worry—setting one up is easy. Follow the steps below to watch AT&T TV Now outside the US with a VPN.
Here’s how to watch AT&T TV Now online from anywhere by using a VPN:
- Sign up for a VPN service that hosts servers within the United States. I particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device. The best VPNs offer apps for desktop and mobile devices, and usually allow connections to multiple devices at once.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies. Your device will not reveal your real location to AT&T TV Now and the streaming service will accept the US IP address provided by the VPN.
- Open your VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server located in the US.
- Sign in to AT&T TV Now with your new IP address and begin watching your favorite content.
If you’re having trouble accessing the streaming service even with a VPN, I suggest trying more than one server. Some streaming services will blacklist certain servers to keep up with the geo-restriction workarounds used by VPNs. If that doesn’t work, try contacting your VPN’s customer support team for additional help.
With so many VPNs to choose from, how can you know which one is best for you? I’ve compiled a list of good VPN services that meet the following criteria:
- Multiple servers across the US
- Fast and reliable data connections for streaming AT&T TV Now
- Secure with encryption and kill switch feature
- Strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile
- Customer support available via live chat and email
I’ll go into more detail on each of these VPNs individually, but here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for watching AT&T TV Now outside the United States.
Best VPNs for AT&T TV Now:
- NordVPN: This is my #1 choice for AT&T TV Now. Over 1,600 servers in the US. Unblocks AT&T TV Now, Netflix, and more. Highly secure with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for AT&T TV Now. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Unblocks AT&T TV Now, Netflix, and more. User-friendly service with 24/7 chat and strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: High-speed VPN service for streaming services. Also unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Consistent data connections and an impressive selection of apps.
- CyberGhost: Fast servers for streaming AT&T TV Now. Secure up to 7 devices simultaneously. Easy-to-use apps and safe with encryption and no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: US-based VPN service with servers in 15 US cities for watching AT&T TV Now. Uses encryption to protect your data. Up to 10 simultaneous data connections.
- PrivateVPN: Fast VPN service for watching AT&T TV Now as well as Netflix. Beginner-friendly apps, up to 6 simultaneous connections, and a high level of security.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 27 US cities for watching AT&T TV Now abroad. Easy-to-use apps and 24/7 live chat support. Secures your device with encryption.
Best VPNs for watching AT&T TV Now outside the US
Here’s my list of the best VPNs to watch AT&T TV Now outside the US:
NordVPN has one of the largest networks of servers of any VPN service with more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries. About 1,900 of those servers are located in the United States. Users of NordVPN should have no problem with unblocking all kinds of geo-restricted content including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. If you have several devices to protect, NordVPN lets you connect up to 6 devices at once.
Having tested it for myself, this service is great for beginners. NordVPN offers specialty servers for even stronger security. Some of its servers are designed to access Tor over VPN, get a dedicated IP address, and browse from countries with strict censorship. NordVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, provides protection from DNS leaks, and has a kill switch feature. Furthermore, this service follows a strict zero-logs policy, so none of your online activity can be traced back to you. You can even sign up anonymously by paying in cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Ripple.
NordVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available as well. Internet routers can be manually configured.
- 1,900 US servers for unblocking AT&T TV Now
- Also unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Strong security with the option of specialty servers
- Connect up to 6 devices simultaneously
- User-friendly apps and browser extensions for beginners
- Connecting via desktop apps can take a while
BEST VPN FOR AT&T NOW:NordVPN has over 1,900 servers in the US and more than 5,000 around the world. Unblocks AT&T TV Now, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more. Features 24/7 support and allows up to 6 connections. Protects your privacy with encryption and no-logs policy. The 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try it risk-free.
Finding a fast and reliable server for streaming AT&T TV Now from anywhere in the world is no problem for Surfshark, offering servers in more than 24 US cities. This is more than most VPNs. Surfshark is also capable of unblocking many other streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, and HBO, to name a few. Surfshark is great for sharing with the family for allowing an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
Surfshark’s beginner-friendly apps and browser extensions make it a good first VPN. It includes such features as Double VPN servers for improved privacy, an ad and malware blocker, and a kill switch. Surfshark encrypts your traffic with 256-bit AES encryption and protects you from DNS leaks. This VPN follows a no-logs policy and can take cryptocurrency payments in Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple if you want to retain your anonymity.
Apps are available for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox extensions are also available for your web browser. Internet routers require manual configuration.
- Servers in at least 24 US cities — far more than most VPNs
- Unblocks AT&T TV Now, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Very strong security package with encryption and no-logs policy
- Accepts 3 types of cryptocurrencies
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark lets you secure as many devices as you want simultaneously. It has servers across 24 US cities and unblocks AT&T TV Now and Netflix. Very easy-to-use apps, a low price, and 24/7 live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN’s combination of speed and security makes it a great choice for securely watching AT&T TV Now outside the US. It hosts a vast network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including the US. I think this VPN’s consistent performance has proven itself to be particularly well-adapted for HD streaming. The VPN connection almost never drops—in fact, ExpressVPN guarantees 99.9% uptime!
ExpressVPN further distinguishes itself among its competitors with its wide variety of user-friendly apps, including a smart DNS proxy service called MediaStreamer that allows you to use ExpressVPN with select smart TVs and game consoles. In case you need any help, ExpressVPN’s fast and efficient live chat support is available 24/7.
Your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption and offers protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. This VPN also includes a kill switch, split tunneling, and a no-logs policy to cover your tracks. You can even sign up for the service anonymously by using a throwaway email address and paying in Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and routers. Chrome and Firefox extensions are available for your web browser.
- Fast servers for consistent streaming of AT&T TV Now
- Servers in 94 countries for unblocking content worldwide
- Important security features such as encryption and no-logs policy
- Excellent customer service with 24/7 support via live chat
- Quite expensive compared to other popular VPNs
QUICK AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN’s combination of speed and security makes it a solid choice for streaming AT&T TV Now. Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Wide range of user-friendly apps, 24/7 support and excellent security with encryption. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost offers a wide selection of 6,500 servers to choose from, including more than 1,100 servers located in the US. I’ve tested CyberGhost with a variety of different content and found that it reliably streams high definition content with little to no downtime. This VPN can secure up to seven devices at once, which is more connections than most VPNs allow.
CyberGhost comes with a variety of user-friendly apps that will be no trouble to use for first-time VPN users, including security features such as an ad-blocker and malware-scanner. Your traffic is secured with 256-bit AES encryption and DNS and IP leak protection. In the event your VPN’s connection drops, an automatic kill switch is there to instantly cut your internet. CyberGhost keeps your personal data safe by following a strict no-logs policy.
Apps are available for Windows, Android, Mac, Linux, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV. Browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox are available as well. Manual configuration is required for routers.
- More than 1,000 servers in the US for watching AT&T TV Now
- Fast and reliable service for browsing and streaming
- Strict no-logs policy keeps your personal information private
- User-friendly apps with plenty of easy-to-activate features
- Doesn’t work reliably in China or the UAE
GOOD VALUE PROVIDER:CyberGhost has fast and reliable connections for streaming AT&T TV Now outside the US. It has apps that are easy to use and allows up to 7 simultaneous connections. Security features include a kill switch and no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Unblocking AT&T TV Now outside the United States is easily accomplished with IPVanish, a VPN service that offers over 1,300 servers to choose from—approximately half of which are based in the United States. These servers are spread across roughly 15 US cities including Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York with unlimited access and fast speeds. In addition, this VPN has a reputation for being particularly easy to use with Kodi and Amazon Fire Stick / Fire TV.
While most VPNs usually allow an average of three to six simultaneous connections, you can protect all of your devices with unlimited simultaneous connections. Users of IPVanish are protected with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, a zero-logs policy, and live chat support.
IPVanish provides apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Manual setup is required for Linux and routers.
- Plenty of servers in the US
- Works with AT&T TV Now as well as Netflix US
- Easy to use with Kodi and Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV
- Secures data with encryption and protects privacy with no-logs policy
- Allows up to 10 simultaneous connections
- No option to pay in Bitcoin/cryptocurrency
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
SERVERS IN 15 US CITIES:This VPN is one of the best for unblocking US content with its abundance of US servers. Unlimited bandwidth makes it easy to watch AT&T TV Now. Allows any number of internet connections via a single account. Keeps you safe online with encryption and a kill switch. 30-day money-back guarantee.
While PrivateVPN may be a relatively small service with about 150 servers, it offers high speeds to servers in 10 US cities including Las Vegas and New York. Not only can you watch AT&T TV Now outside the US with its formidable unblocking abilities, you can also unblock major streaming platforms such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
With six simultaneous connections and easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile, this is a very accessible VPN. PrivateVPN secures your data with 256-bit AES encryption, IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and stealth mode for use in places where VPNs are blocked. PrivateVPN is headquartered in Sweden and follows a zero data-logging policy.
Apps are available for Windows and Mac on desktop and Android and iOS on mobile. Manual setup is required for Linux and routers. This service offers no browser extensions.
- High-speed servers for streaming AT&T TV Now content
- Also unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and others
- Connect up to 6 devices via a single account
- Beginner-friendly apps
- Relatively small network of servers
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
HIGH SPEED STREAMING:PrivateVPN is fast and unblocks AT&T TV Now as well as other streaming services. Its apps are easy to use and it allows you to connect up to 6 supported devices. Includes all of the essential security features including encryption, kill switch, and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Users of Hotspot Shield should have no problems finding a US server when watching AT&T TV Now abroad, as there are over 1,800 servers to choose from, including locations in 27 US cities such as Los Angeles and New York. Netflix is easily unblocked as well. Hotspot Shield provides fast and consistent speeds of streaming services without buffering issues and lag. Five devices can be secured simultaneously with a single Hotspot Shield account.
This is a user-friendly VPN service that includes 24/7 live chat support for easy troubleshooting. Your privacy is protected with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. This VPN hides your true IP address and other personally identifiable information with a no-logs policy.
- Offers servers across 27 US cities for unblocking AT&T TV Now
- Fast, consistent speeds for browsing and streaming video
- Provides 24/7 live chat support
- Security includes encryption and a kill switch
- Some past privacy concerns
- Doesn’t offer support for Linux
SERVERS IN 27 US CITIES:Hotspot Shield unblocks AT&T TV Now and has a broad selection of high speed servers available in the US. It also works with Netflix. Includes 24/7 live chat support and uses encryption to keep your data secure. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Can I use a free VPN to watch AT&T TV Now outside the US?
I don’t advise using a free VPN for any reason. Users who want to watch AT&T TV Now will most likely be filtered out by geographical restrictions since free VPN services usually don’t have the resources to keep up with the streaming companies’ ongoing security updates. Besides, free VPNs usually suffer from slow speeds and disconnections due to the large volume of users on a small number of servers. Even if a free VPN succeeds in unblocking AT&T TV Now, watching high definition video content without interruptions is nearly impossible.
But there are more than just performance issues to take into account. When it comes to security, free VPNs are notoriously insecure. Your data will not be secured with a high level of encryption, or with any encryption at all. Ads and malware abound on free VPN services, and some will knowingly breach your privacy by keeping logs on your activity and selling your data to third parties.
Why am I getting an AT&T TV Now location error?
Some users who attempt to watch AT&T TV Now outside of the US will be asked to enable location data on their device. Doing so will override the VPN connection and reveal your true location to the streaming platform, thus blocking the content. You may see a message that looks like this:
“We couldn’t figure out your location, which is required for streaming this program. Please try again.”
To bypass this restriction, you may need to spoof your location with a GPS spoofing app. Be careful as GPS spoofing can adversely affect other apps on your device.
Can I use a smart DNS proxy to watch AT&T TV Now abroad?
Although VPNs are more reliable, some smart DNS proxy services are capable of unblocking AT&T TV Now. A smart DNS proxy monitors DNS requests sent from your device and sends the browser traffic for that request to an appropriate server—in this case, to a server in the US. One of the major advantages of using a smart DNS proxy is that it can be used on a wider range of devices than a VPN.
For example, AT&T TV Now is available on devices such as Apple TV and Samsung Smart TV, but most VPNs don’t support devices such as these. This is where a smart DNS proxy really shines. Be forewarned that setting up a smart DNS proxy can be a little more complicated than using a VPN. I suggest using ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer, a smart DNS proxy service that can unblock geo-restricted content without encrypting online traffic, thus minimizing speed loss.
What can I watch on AT&T TV Now?
AT&T TV Now offers a wide range of live and on-demand content from traditional cable channels. Some of the entertainment channels include:
- National Geographic
- USA Network
AT&T TV Now FAQ
What's the difference between AT&T TV and AT&T TV now?
AT&T TV is a cable-like service that comes with a set-top box. It comes with a one-time activation fee and requires commitment to a two-year contract. On the other hand, AT&T TV Now is a contract-free streaming service. It is available on a monthly basis that can be canceled at any time, and it doesn’t come with any physical hardware.
Are AT&T TV and DirecTV Now the same?
Yes, AT&T TV Now is essentially the rebranded version of DirecTV Now. The rebranding was announced in July 2019 when AT&T chose to consolidate its services under its own brand. There was no change for DirecTV subscribers aside from new terms of service.
Is it legal to connect to AT&T TV via a VPN?
Yes, VPNs are legal privacy tools that can be used to connect to AT&T TV. However, accessing its library of content outside of the US may be against its terms of service, as its content is region-locked for copyright and licensing reasons.
What devices can I watch AT&T TV Now on?
AT&T TV Now is available on apps for Android, iOS, Apple TV, select Samsung Smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV / Firestick, Roku, and Chromecast. Indeed, it can be watched on almost any internet-connected device since it can be viewed on the website.
How do I watch the NFL on AT&T TV Now?
If you want to watch NFL games that aren’t available in your market due to licensing reasons, you can catch the game by connecting to a VPN server in another city. The VPN will mask your true IP address with the server of your choice so you will appear to be watching from the server’s location.
Can I watch AT&T TV Now on my laptop?
You can stream AT&T TV Now on a variety of devices including laptops by accessing the service from the Chrome web browser. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac. You can stream on a maximum of three devices at once.
- How to watch AT&T TV Now outside the US with a VPN
- Best VPNs for AT&T TV Now:
- Best VPNs for watching AT&T TV Now outside the US
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- Can I use a free VPN to watch AT&T TV Now outside the US?
- Why am I getting an AT&T TV Now location error?
- Can I use a smart DNS proxy to watch AT&T TV Now abroad?
- What can I watch on AT&T TV Now?
- AT&T TV Now FAQ
- What's the difference between AT&T TV and AT&T TV now?
- Are AT&T TV and DirecTV Now the same?
- Is it legal to connect to AT&T TV via a VPN?
- What devices can I watch AT&T TV Now on?
- How do I watch the NFL on AT&T TV Now?
- Can I watch AT&T TV Now on my laptop?