We constantly access our online banking for several reasons, whether that’s to check our balance or to send a transfer. This is true even when we’re overseas.
It’s almost inevitable that you will need to access your online banking at some point during your trip. While traveling, it is likely that you will be accessing the internet regularly over open WiFi networks. However, checking sensitive information via online banking isn’t advisable over an open WiFi network, as it’s better to protect your internet connection using a VPN.
A VPN routes your internet connection through a secure third-party server and also encrypts your connection. This protects your private information and protects you from hackers on unsecured WiFi networks. However, some banks don’t allow connections via some VPN providers – this includes Bank of America (BoA).
Here, I have reviewed the best VPNs that work with Bank of America, ensuring that you are able to access your online banking while being protected by a top-tier VPN provider. I have reviewed the best options below in great detail, but if you’re short on time, here is a summary.
Best VPNs for accessing Bank of America abroad:
- NordVPN: This is my number one choice of VPN for Bank of America. It is a fast option that can access many different services, including other online banking services and even streaming platforms. It has strong encryption and security features in place as well and it also comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: A great budget VPN. It is also a solid option for accessing Bank of America and other services and allows for an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: One of the fastest options on this list of providers. It has a large number of servers in the US too, which is great for those who may need to access BoA while abroad.
- CyberGhost: A beginner-friendly option that has servers in the US that perform reliably. It also has strong security and privacy features in place.
- PrivateVPN: This is one of the smaller networks out there. It is privacy conscious and has servers in the US.
- IPVanish: This is a fast and secure option. It is perhaps better known for accessing the streaming service Kodi. However, with its strong network in the US, it is also a solid option for accessing BoA while abroad.
- Private Internet Access: This is a lightweight, customizable option with servers in the US that now offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Atlas VPN: This secure VPN is fast and has servers in the US. An unlimited amount of simultaneous connections are supported.
How to use a VPN to access BoA abroad
It’s relatively easy to get started with using a VPN to access BoA abroad. Here are the steps to follow:
- First, you will have to sign up for a reputable VPN provider.I recommend using NordVPN.
- Next, download and install the app for the device you will be using to access BoA.
- After doing this, log in to your VPN service and select a US VPN server. This will give you a US IP address.
- Now, try logging into your BoA account. You should be able to without any issues. However, if you do run into a problem, try clearing your browser’s cache and reloading the website. If this doesn’t work, then contact your VPN provider’s customer service team for assistance.
Best VPNs for BoA
It can be difficult to find a VPN that works with BoA. It actively blocks traffic from some VPN servers. This is an issue for users who may need to access their BoA online banking while abroad. This can be frustrating for those who need to access all of their BoA services and wish to use their services while using an encrypted connection.
While some VPNs are blocked by BoA, there are some top-tier options that are capable of allowing users to access their BoA online banking while abroad. Here’s a list of the features I looked for while compiling my list of the best VPNs for BoA:
- Ability to access BoA
- Large number of servers especially in the US
- Strong security and privacy features such as 256-bit AES encryption
- Strong customer support team
- Fast and reliable connections
- Stores no logs
For more information about the criteria I used, take a look at the testing methodology section found later in this article.
Below are the best VPNs for BoA.
With blazing-fast connection speeds and over 5,700 servers in 60+ countries, NordVPN is an excellent VPN choice, especially for those who stream a lot. With its fast connection speeds and multiple server locations, it is also a great option for expats who may be looking to access content from their home countries.
In addition to being a great pick for expats, there are several security features in place that keep users secure while using the service. For example, measures such as 256-bit AES encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware scanner, and protection against DNS, IPv6 and WebRTC leaks keep users’ connections secure while they use the service. No logs are stored either, which is excellent from a privacy viewpoint. NordVPN also accepts cryptocurrency payments which don’t associate users’ names with payments unlike traditional credit card payments.
NordVPN apps are available for macOS, iOS, Linux, Windows, and Android. Routers can be manually configured to work with the service too. Six simultaneous device connections are supported and the customer support team can be reached 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds are great for streaming applications
- Strong security measures keep users protected
- No logs are stored
- Apps are available for many different platforms
- The customer support team is available 24/7
- The desktop app can be slow at times
BEST VPN TO ACCESS BOA ABROAD:NordVPN is my first choice. It’s super fast and a great option for accessing geo-restricted sites and content. Connects up to six devices simultaneously. Strict no-logs policy. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark is an excellent, affordably-priced VPN. While it is cheap, the quality doesn’t take a hit. It has over 3,200 servers spread across 100+ countries. It is a good option for those who might be interested in changing their IP address for reasons such as accessing BoA while abroad or utilizing fast streaming speeds to access many other types of services.
In addition, this service has strong security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption and protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks. A kill switch is also included and traffic scrambling is provided. Another positive aspect of this provider is the support provided for cryptocurrency payments. This service also stores no logs and accepts cryptocurrency payments. This form of payment allows for more anonymity than what is offered with traditional credit card payments.
Surfshark apps are also available for many different platforms. These include Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. This service can also be installed on routers that support it. Surfshark offers users an unlimited number of connections, which is great for users with many different devices. In addition, the customer service team is available 24/7 via live chat, which bodes well for people in different time zones.
- Can access many different services
- Fast connection speeds
- Strong security measures
- An unlimited number of connections are supported
- Cryptocurrency payments are supported
- Some servers are slightly slow
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is affordable and still upholds high standards. It can access many different services, offers unlimited simultaneous connections, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is an excellent option for users that stream a lot. This is because it offers some of the fastest streaming speeds when it comes to VPNs. It has a network of over 3,000 servers in 94+ countries, making it a great option for users who need to access geographically restricted services. It is also very easy to use, making it one of the better choices for beginners.
The provider has strong security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. This provider also has a .onion site which can only be accessed via the anonymous TOR network. The TOR network is heavily encrypted and therefore is an excellent option for those who want to browse anonymously.
Another privacy measure that has been put in place by ExpressVPN is the company’s acceptance of cryptocurrency payments. These allow users to make payments without having their names associated with the payment like with traditional credit card payments. In addition, this service stores no logs and five simultaneous device connections are allowed.
Express VPN has apps available for iOS, Android, macOS, and Linux too. It can also be installed on supported routers. The customer support team can be reached 24/7 via the provided live chat.
- Fast connection speeds
- Can access top-tier streaming services
- Strong privacy measures such as .onion site and acceptance of cryptocurrency payments
- Excellent security measures such as encryption
- More expensive than some other options
- Lack of customizability could be frustrating for advanced users
GREAT STREAMING OPTION:ExpressVPN offers very fast streaming speeds and prioritizes security and privacy, as seen by its .onion site and acceptance of cryptocurrency. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has a huge number of servers. In total, this VPN has 9,700+ servers in 91+ countries.
There are strong security measures in place too. These include 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. This service also doesn’t store any logs. This provider accepts cryptocurrency payments as well, which are more anonymous than traditional credit card payments.
CyberGhost apps can be downloaded for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. Some routers can also be manually configured to work with this provider. The customer support team is available 24/7 and seven simultaneous connections are supported.
- Clients are easy to use
- 24/7 live chat service is provided
- Huge server network is spread across a large number of countries
- Strong security and privacy measures are in place
- Blocked in the UAE and China
- Torrenting and P2P may not work on all servers
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a very large server network. It gives users lots of different choices for getting a different IP address. It has strong security measures in place and gives users a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This is a small VPN provider with over 200 servers in 63+ countries. It can access many different services and the level of quality offered is quite high. Streaming speeds are also very fast.
PrivateVPN has several security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks, and no logs are stored either. This provider accepts cryptocurrency payments allowing for greater anonymity.
PrivateVPN apps can be downloaded for several platforms too. These include Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Some routers and Linux devices can be manually configured to work with this service as well. It should be noted that PrivateVPN customer service agents can only be reached during regular business hours in Sweden (PrivateVPN is a Swedish business). The quality of customer service is, however, excellent. 10 devices can be connected simultaneously with this service.
- Can access many different services
- Fast connection speeds
- No logs are stored
- Works in China
- Customer support is not available 24/7
- Small server network
PRIVACY-FOCUSED VPN:PrivateVPN is a security-focused service. It has strong encryption in place and no logs are stored. Connection speeds are fast too. Many services can be accessed with this service and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
IPVanish has a secure platform with just under 2,000 servers in 50+ countries. The server network is fast and has proven to be a big hit among the Kodi streaming community. This type of speed will allow expats to access streaming and other services in their home country without lag or buffering.
Solid security is included as well. Security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks are included with this service. A traffic scrambling option is also available. No logs are stored by this provider.
IPVanish has apps available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Amazon Fire TV. It can also be manually set up on some routers and on Linux. It supports an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Live chat support is available 24/7.
- Fast connection speeds
- Unlimited number of connections allowed
- No logs are stored
- Great option for torrenters and Kodi users
- Some servers don’t work with Netflix
- Apps don’t work in China
UNLIMITED NUMBER OF CONNECTIONS:IPVanish offers fast speeds and supports an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This is suitable for those who may want to stream from abroad. IPVanish offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a lightweight option that allows users to customize the interface of the application. It has servers in over 80 countries. As well as BoA, it can also access streaming services such as YouTube TV and BBC iPlayer along with access to region-locked IPTV services. This VPN supports the fast and efficient WireGuard VPN protocol.
Strong security is offered by this provider as well. With this provider, you will get a kill switch, split tunneling, and it doesn’t store any logs.
PIA apps can be downloaded for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. PIA’s customer service can be reached via their 24/7 live chat as well and an unlimited number of device connections are allowed.
- Can provide access to many different services
- Strong security features are in place
- The WireGuard VPN protocol is supported (it is faster and more efficient)
- Several customization options are available
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design could be improved
LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFECTIVE OPTION:PIA is a lightweight option that provides users with access to many different restricted services. It has several customization options and it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN is a smaller VPN provider with over 750 servers in about 40 locations. Its network of servers is fast and good for streaming. In addition, Atlas VPN can bypass restrictions on services such as Instagram and on streaming services. Although it is a smaller provider, it doesn’t skimp on quality.
The provider has strong security measures in place. These include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. This service stores no logs either. Its MultiHop servers let users encrypt their encryption twice for added security. This service also lets users pay with cryptocurrency. Cryptocurrency payments are more secure than traditional credit card payments since users’ names aren’t associated with them.
Atlas VPN is available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. In addition, an unlimited number of connections are supported.
- Can access many different streaming and banking services
- Fast connection speeds
- MultiHop servers add increased protection since they encrypt users’ connections twice
- Doesn’t work in China
- Customer service could be improved
STRONG ENCRYPTIO:Atlas VPN has strong security measures in place such as double encryption and a kill switch. Accesses BoA with ease and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Our Testing methodology: How I chose the best VPNs for accessing BoA from abroad
There are several different options available when it comes to VPNs. However, not all of them are created equal. Here, I will cover the strict criteria from my testing methodology that I used to find the best VPNs for the job. Here is what I looked for:
- Strong security and privacy measures: The VPNs on this list can provide protection against hackers on open WiFi networks and ensure your connection will also be encrypted. I chose VPNs with security measures in place such as 256-bit AES encryption and a no-logs policy.
- Ability to access services: Not all VPNs are capable of accessing BoA. I made sure to pick ones that are capable of unblocking this service.
- Stable connection: Fast and stable connections are necessary for ensuring a smooth browsing experience without lag. Fast VPNs ensure that users are able to access all of their favorite services without any hassle.
- Servers: I made sure to look for services with lots of servers in different locations. It was necessary for the VPNs I chose to have lots of servers in the US, so users would have many options for accessing BoA using one of these servers while abroad.
Best VPNs for BoA FAQs
Can I just use a free VPN?
In general, I do not recommend using a free VPN. Free VPNs don't give you the same level of performance as a paid VPN, plus they don't have the same resources and infrastructure. Typically, free VPNs have fewer servers and aren't as capable as paid ones of unblocking services.
In general, they are also slower and can result in users experiencing lag. Free VPNs also don't encrypt connections in many cases which can lead to security issues. Furthermore, some free VPNs have been known to engage in unscrupulous activities such as selling users' data for a profit. Many free VPNs limit the amount of data that can be transferred, making it difficult to do things such as streaming.
It's better to go with a free VPN that has an ample amount of servers and that can actually unblock services without hassle, instead of using a free VPN.
What else can I do with a VPN?
VPNs are useful for accessing streaming services which are geographically restricted to certain restrictions. They also encrypt your internet connection, ensuring that you are safe when using public WiFi hotspots. They can also bypass restrictions in place at a place of work or even in an area with shared internet.
Is it safe to use a VPN to access online banking?
Yes, it is safe to do this. In fact, it is safer to access your online banking with a VPN than without it. This is because a VPN encrypts your connection, giving you an extra layer of security when you're accessing this service.
In addition, neither your ISP nor your VPN provider will know when you have accessed your online banking if your VPN has a no-logs policy in place since no data will be stored on the side of your VPN provider and your ISP will only know that you are connected to a VPN.
What is split tunneling? Should I use it?
Split tunneling is a feature that allows users to only pass internet traffic from specified applications through their VPN connection. Traffic from other applications are routed through the regular internet connection. This could be useful for if you wanted to do something such as accessing your online banking while at home in the US at the same time as you are streaming a Netflix show that is geographically restricted to the UK.
With split tunneling, both actions would be allowed. While it is true that some traffic will be outside of the encryption of the VPN in this scenario, it might be more practical to do this in some scenarios.
- How to use a VPN to access BoA abroad
- Best VPNs for BoA
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. IPVanish
- 7. Private Internet Access
- 8. Atlas VPN
- Our Testing methodology: How I chose the best VPNs for accessing BoA from abroad
- Best VPNs for BoA FAQs
- Can I just use a free VPN?
- What else can I do with a VPN?
- Is it safe to use a VPN to access online banking?
- What is split tunneling? Should I use it?